Can't seem to stop hurting myself. :(

Options
Since I started working out again I had some pretty annoying injuries and it always seems to be something.
First time.. i somehow knocked my rib cage out of place.. On top of cervical strains ...and now tendinitis. Being hurt all the times makes me not want to work out for fear of making it worse. As we speak my arms feel warm and achy and weak. it's annoying. all of my workouts are mostly lower body as well. im a cardio person. I like the treadmill and cycling. I dont do anything outside of that.

What can I do to fix this? Im gaining wait from not working out but im constantly tore up. Ive been going to a psychical therapist for my cervical strain and ribcage. im so miserable! Any ideas?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Avoid exercises that irritate your tendinitis. Tendinitis inflammation reduces when rested. Maybe look to a different form of exercise like yoga to help with your issues. One doesn't have to weight lift to be fit or lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KaiserNiner
    KaiserNiner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's tempting to do a little too much at the start - my trainer insisted that athletes often overdue the gross muscle development (big weights, pushing hard) when a little can be a lot. Lighter loads and light exercise works a whole other set of muscles... I was lifting pretty heavy weights on relatively little muscle mass (more weight than guys a third again as heavy) - it felt ok. On her advice I dialed back to a quarter weight, a quarter duration... Surprisingly it felt like hard work again.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    The thing that has been scaring me is that I havnt been working out. In october I was working out twice a day for two weeks straight..since then I rarely go because I have been in pain since. I had a misplaced ribcage and a cervical strain which is still being dealt with. My muscles ache though and it feels like tendinitis..even though i sleep all day. it makes no sense to me. I work third shift and sit the whole time. (working as I speak.) Than I go home and sleep for a while. I just have no idea why im getting hurt like this.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Tough time of year for this suggestion, but if you can get access to a heated pool, I highly suggest you look into some type of aqua exercise. After my auto accident a couple of years ago, my body could not tolerate much in the way of any type of weight bearing exercise ... my PT put me in the pool about 14 weeks post-accident ... and it was the best thing that could have happened to me as far as getting on the road to strengthening and conditioning my body to move toward more strenuous activity. The water cushions all your body parts and relieves the stress of gravity so as you are healing, you can also begin to strengthen. Pool running is also a great way to start building your endurance back up as it is a great cardio workout ... again, without the physical stress that usually comes with regular running on land.

Hope this helps and best wishes to you!
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options

Tough time of year for this suggestion, but if you can get access to a heated pool, I highly suggest you look into some type of aqua exercise. After my auto accident a couple of years ago, my body could not tolerate much in the way of any type of weight bearing exercise ... my PT put me in the pool about 14 weeks post-accident ... and it was the best thing that could have happened to me as far as getting on the road to strengthening and conditioning my body to move toward more strenuous activity. The water cushions all your body parts and relieves the stress of gravity so as you are healing, you can also begin to strengthen. Pool running is also a great way to start building your endurance back up as it is a great cardio workout ... again, without the physical stress that usually comes with regular running on land.

Hope this helps and best wishes to you!

I would LOVE to do that. I feel like there is a heated pool in this area somewhere. Im glad that you were able to regain your strength!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The thing that has been scaring me is that I havnt been working out. In october I was working out twice a day for two weeks straight..since then I rarely go because I have been in pain since. I had a misplaced ribcage and a cervical strain which is still being dealt with. My muscles ache though and it feels like tendinitis..even though i sleep all day. it makes no sense to me. I work third shift and sit the whole time. (working as I speak.) Than I go home and sleep for a while. I just have no idea why im getting hurt like this.

Hey, part of this whole process is trial and error. You have it a good shot, exercising hard. Now please remember that whatever form of exercise you pick, you probably want to try a gradual ramp up and not go too hard to fast. Twice a day for two weeks straight was probably a bit much! That's a lot even for seasoned exercisers, and most bodies will start to show some wear and tear after that much constant work. Please ease into whatever you choose. If weight loss is your goal make sure you're logging your food accurately, and attempt to reach a caloric deficit that way.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I think the pool is a great idea! Water makes exercise safer and easier to do. However if you dont find a pool or a pool with some aqua aerobics you might want to consider talking to a PT or a physiotherapist...if you can talk to an exercise physiologist you have hit the jackpot :) they will be able to show you exercises and techniques which take your injuries into consideration..I wouldnt try exercising on my own..
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You were working out a whole lot at once, so maybe that's just it, but the ribcage out of place thing is kind of unusual. You might get your doc to check you for hypermobility and the possibility of EDS. A lot of folks who get diagnosed with it make it well into to adulthood before they know they have it, although there will be a long history of tendonitis, etc.

I have it, btw. I just have to watch a lot of things and get creative about what I can do since many things are no good to do as often as I'd need to if I used them for workouts. I do lift! I like that the reps are so low and yet so much good gets done :) I don't try to overdo on the weight amount, and form is key. I also never do the jerky or very fast sorts of lifts, because that would not end well with my tendons, lol. Slow and controlled is important to try to get things to stay in form, since the joints and their parts literally move much more than with a regular person.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Im gaining wait from not working out...

Well there's a problem right there - you're gaining weight from over-eating, not from missing workouts.