When to start measuring

Options
I've only lost around around 8 or 9 pounds (2-3 before joining MFP) so it makes sense that I wouldn't be seeing drastic measurement changes but I haven't lost any inches. When should I start relying on them?

Replies

• DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Bump
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Some people see results on the tape measure before the scale moves. I was the other way around. I was probably 15-20 pounds down and my clothes were a LOT looser before I saw much difference in measurements.
  • gngracie
    gngracie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You may not see much change initially, but over a period of time you'll see noticeable changes in your body even when you don't feel like much is going on.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Some people see results on the tape measure before the scale moves. I was the other way around. I was probably 15-20 pounds down and my clothes were a LOT looser before I saw much difference in measurements.

Don't "a LOT loser" clothes necessarily mean that there was "much difference in measurement"? ;-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your own body. Some people will lose inches before they lose any weight. I've not lost an inch yet. Also if you're just watching calories vs some sort of strength training exercises it can make a difference in the measuring tape (again not for me - but in general).
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I take measurements the first of every month :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I take measurements monthly. I lost a lot of my initial weight in my face (never measured my face) and my neck...my neck is the first measurement I saw change and went from a 17.5 to a 16 now. My belly was the last to start seeing any measurable progress with the tape measure.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I measure about every 4 or 5 weeks. There is usually some change by then that is worth logging. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8 lbs, my pants feel looser, but the measuring tape isn't reporting much of a change, and I can't fit into the next pant size down. I'm sure I'm losing inches, but since the weight loss is coming from all over, it's not going to show in the limited measurements I took. It all depends on how your body personally puts on and loses weight.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Don't "a LOT loser" clothes necessarily mean that there was "much difference in measurement"? ;-)

Not necessarily. My main problem areas are a belly (below the waist) and butt cheeks. If I had taken some sort of diagonal measurement, it would probably have shown more results than the traditional.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I've only lost a few pounds and I didn't expect a ton of inches off but I'm just glad to know it's normal and I'm not doing something wrong. :p

In regards to exercise I'm slowly introducing it, I wanted to make changes slowly so I could get used to each new thing.

I'll start measuring on the first of each month.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Bump