Frustrated with goal

Options
Ugh, so I hate trying to figure out what my goal weight should be. The main problem is that while I am short (5'2) I have a larager frame. Even as a kid I felt fat being around all the scrawny toothpick girls in my class because I was a little more of a curvy/athletic frame instead of toothpicks for arms and legs. Looking back in pictures I see that I totally was not heavy as a kid, but I always felt like I was.

Even now, I know I DEFINITELY have weight to lose, but I don't think I look like the 216 that the scale says I am. I mean, thats only like 20 less than my boyfriend who is tall and broad shoulders and muscular (and a belly, lol). How embarrasing to be even close in weight to my boyfriend.

I am sure to some degree I am just in denial. I don't feel as big as I am, only to be surprised in photos, but I do think I am not in that much denial when I think I don't look 216. Anytime I am weighed at the doctors they start off lower and have to keep going up and up. I remember one time she started the scale at 100 and when moving the little one didn't do anything and had to move the lower bar to 150 and go from there, the nurse exclaimed "wow honey, you must be solid"! So while I admit there is probably SOME denial going on, others have commented as well that I don't look what I weigh.

So that being said, I have no idea how to know what my goal weight should be. Height/weight/age scales say I should be around the 125-130 range. Not to sound negative, but I will never be that weight. I don't think it would be healthy for me to be that weight. My fingers do not meet when I wrap them around my wrist (and my wrist has no fat on it) and I have always had pretty muscular calves even when I am not working out, so my frame size alone would account for so much weight right there.

So I am just lost....I don't want to set a goal that isn't physically possible for me and then give up and get discouraged when I cannot get there. Is it a better idea of set small goals along the way? Like since my weight is 216 right now, should I first focus on getting down to 200, and then set a new goal from there?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so I hate trying to figure out what my goal weight should be. The main problem is that while I am short (5'2) I have a larager frame. Even as a kid I felt fat being around all the scrawny toothpick girls in my class because I was a little more of a curvy/athletic frame instead of toothpicks for arms and legs. Looking back in pictures I see that I totally was not heavy as a kid, but I always felt like I was.

Even now, I know I DEFINITELY have weight to lose, but I don't think I look like the 216 that the scale says I am. I mean, thats only like 20 less than my boyfriend who is tall and broad shoulders and muscular (and a belly, lol). How embarrasing to be even close in weight to my boyfriend.

I am sure to some degree I am just in denial. I don't feel as big as I am, only to be surprised in photos, but I do think I am not in that much denial when I think I don't look 216. Anytime I am weighed at the doctors they start off lower and have to keep going up and up. I remember one time she started the scale at 100 and when moving the little one didn't do anything and had to move the lower bar to 150 and go from there, the nurse exclaimed "wow honey, you must be solid"! So while I admit there is probably SOME denial going on, others have commented as well that I don't look what I weigh.

So that being said, I have no idea how to know what my goal weight should be. Height/weight/age scales say I should be around the 125-130 range. Not to sound negative, but I will never be that weight. I don't think it would be healthy for me to be that weight. My fingers do not meet when I wrap them around my wrist (and my wrist has no fat on it) and I have always had pretty muscular calves even when I am not working out, so my frame size alone would account for so much weight right there.

So I am just lost....I don't want to set a goal that isn't physically possible for me and then give up and get discouraged when I cannot get there. Is it a better idea of set small goals along the way? Like since my weight is 216 right now, should I first focus on getting down to 200, and then set a new goal from there?
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    why not set yourself 10-20 pound goals and at the end of each one see where you are. You will know (and your body will tell you) when you are at a healthy weight. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    Instead of going by pounds, why not go by bodyfat %?

In your case, that would be a much better indication of fatneses. Just aim for a healthy bodyfat.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I think we probably have the exact same body type. I always go through the same thing at the doctor's office, etc.

I had to ask my mom about this because she's the same way and when she lost all her weight she got down to 130 and looked like she had some disease just eating away at her. It was not at ALL attractive. But she was considered at a "healthy" BMI.

I would just pick a weight that you would feel comfortable being at. I originally set mine at 135 and then adjusted it to 150.

It is a good idea to go in baby steps, but I know that for me, I have to set an end goal or the little goals don't work. Just keep it up and make your end goal a happy and proud look in the mirror. :smile:
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    I did some resurch becuase I too have always been a little bigger than everybody and I always just thought I too was big boned ... turns out I have very small bones. I've just always chunky. I'm 5'4 and for a person with small bones I need to weigh 108 to 120 .. how ever If I had large bones I only need to around 140. I put in your calculations and is says that your healthy weight is 101 if your smaller bones - 136 if your larger boned. I suggest just taking is one day at a time,,, don't think about the whole 86 pounds... think of it as 2 pounds a week. All you need is 2 pounds. Just little changes can do that like skip the cheese at dinner or walk around the hood in the morning ... not only is this good for you but it gives your mind time to wonder..... get your man in on this too ... it can be used as great bonding time.
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    I'm a nursing student, and I had nutrition last semester as part of my curiculum. They gave us an equasion to figure out target weight. (25 x weight in lbs) divided by your BMI. You can figure out your BMI by wither using the tool on this site, you this equasion. wt divided by height^2 x 703. Hope this helps!
  • wordygirl
    wordygirl Posts: 28
    Options
    Start with small realistic goals. Don't think about the end number you are aiming for! Pat yourself on the back when you hit those 5 pound goals...this whole thing works in baby steps so that's the mindset we need.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm a nursing student, and I had nutrition last semester as part of my curiculum. They gave us an equasion to figure out target weight. (25 x weight in lbs) divided by your BMI. You can figure out your BMI by wither using the tool on this site, you this equasion. wt divided by height^2 x 703. Hope this helps!

Are you positive about this equation. . .? I just used it, and it put me over a healthy BMI at my target weight according to this. I'd definitely be overweight at that size.