Back surgery ...return to mfp

Options
jennor8or
jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
I had back surgery on nov 4 and prior to it i was bed ridden and they gave me 3 rounds of steriods. I am at my highest weight ever...182 lbs. Surgery restored feeling to my legs so i can walk (but only short distances at a time...about 12-15 mins currently) and have begun pilates. I cannot lift over 10 lbs. Getting the weight off, recovering, and getting in shape all at once is going to be slow and tedious. Please help keep me motivated or give any advice u have to stay motivate when looking at a 50lb weight loss and doing it very slowly.

Replies

• chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I had a fusion and started afterwards with PT and steroid injections. Honestly, the injections do more long term harm than good. The steroids speed along degeneration of your bone and it;'s not worth the weeks of relief you get from them, not to mention fluctuating hormones and increased appetite. Depending on your case, there are other alternatives than steroids. I did radio-ablation and it lasts for 6 months for me with no nerve pain.

First I have to say is that I am proud of you for wanting to improve :D It can be very frustrating to have an injury that makes it difficult for you to live life as you once were able to. Losing feeling and control of your legs is scary which I assume is from Lumbar/Sacral Damage? I have a l4/l5 bulge, fusion in the l5/s1 and a herniation in my c6/c7. I used to get injections of steroids until I developed degenerative joint disease from it. Exercise, no matter how minimal, seemed to help me more so that those injections, but everyone is different.

Getting back to kicking *kitten* is a slow process. Start with water aerobics and focus on your core. Strengthening your core and quads will strengthen your back muscles. I started 5 years ago not able to lift over 10 lbs, then slowly worked my way up to doing 90lb deadlifts because I had built up so much muscle. I would not advise anyone with back problems to do what I did because we are all different and work at different paces but I don't want you to think that your life is over since you had back surgery. You can get better, but it is 99% mental and 1% physical. Keep telling yourself that you are worth it. Try really hard not to get discouraged that everyone else is able to run while you are taking baby steps. The hardest part is not comparing yourself to others and being proud of yourself for small accomplishments. Starting out, do not over do it. Start small and easy, like the water aerobics and maybe a tandem bike. If the bike upsets your sciatic nerves (depends on where your surgery was), try walking slow on the treadmill even if it is only for a few minutes, or walk down your street. Depending on where your surgery was, will determine which exercises are best for you. Ultimately, your food intake will help you lose weight for the next year since you will not be superwoman in the gym, although even just walking or water aerobics 3 times a week will make a difference in your strength. If I were you, I would focus on eating healthier, i.e. less sugar, more veggies and fruits and lean proteins.

I lost 65 pounds after surgery, but I only had problems with one leg, not both, and your's is more severe and I was able to feel mine, just had weakness and needle pain down it. It took me a year to walk without my cane, but it is possible :) Keep your chin up and do not push yourself too far. You will feel your body changing along the way and will be able to adapt. Just keep in contact with your pain clinic for pain management and let them know you want to work out and lose weight so they can recommend specific exercises for your injury :D I am on Hydrocodone, and have not been able to not take it because I rely on it for my pain relief, but like I said, everyone is different and you may not be on pain killers or may not want to take hydrocodone. Just make sure that if you are on muscle relaxers, you do not take them before you work out, only after, and remember that your medication will make you feel groggy and tired and can make you feel depressed, Keep telling yourself that you are worth this and that it is something that you WILL accomplish, not something that you would like to. Good Luck to you!