How should I go about this?

Options
I am 250lbs now and I would like 50lbs and gain back muscle. Should I focus on the weight loss with cardio and calisthenics; then weight train. Or should I weight train while trying to lose the weight. I would really like an MMA fighters physique.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Fat loss comes from diet. Doing cardio (or any exercise) burns extra calories, which can increase weight loss, but you have to be careful to not run at too much of a deficit, damaging your metabolism (that is why most recommend eating back your exercise calories).

If you run at a slight deficit, eat good food at proper macros for your metabolism and activity level, and lift heavy, you can lose fat and gain muscle. You'll be more effective if you focus on just one thing at a time, but you can do both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You should lift and do aerobic cardio. If you don't lift while you are dieting then you will lose more muscle mass in that process than you otherwise would. It's a lot easier to preserve the mass you currently have then it is to build it later.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options