HIIT + Weight question

Options
I want to start doing HIIT on the elliptical or treadmill as my cardio workout and I want to start adding in weight training. Can I do them on the same day (weights after HIIT) or should I alternate days?

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It depends on a number of factors, like time available to workout and fitness level. I'm fairly certain that if you do it on the same day, you should actually do HIIT after weights(someone with science knowledge can back me up on this!) Personally because of time constraints I prefer to do cardio/weights on separate days.
  • tracywintn
    Options
    Thank you eblakes93!
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I go to Orange Theory fitness which is half HIIT and half weights all in one class. Half the class does the cardio first and half does the weights and then switch so I don't think it matters too much whether to do it before or after however I have heard what eblake mentioned that it is better to do the weights first. Maybe its more important when it comes down to being a more serious weightlifter? I am curious to know what others think too as I have been thinking of trying to do the weight part first in my classes, I just find it tires me out and I have a hard time running after...I guess to answer your question yes you can do it in the same day! :smooched:
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    3 days per week I play racquetball. On the other 4 days, I do cardio-strength workouts on the elliptical. I time myself and do 30 seconds of all out sprinting every 2 minutes with 90 seconds of recovery. I do so for 45 minutes. At the end I am such a sweaty mess that there is no way I can do anything other than to walk into the sauna for a bit to "cool myself down". Therefore I have no choice but to do my resistance training ahead of the elliptical.