When to call it on a work out

Options
Hey guys, just starting working out again with my newfound sense of motivation.
Stupid exercise question...

I'm trying to do Zumba Fitness on the Wii at home a few times a week, 20 min classes. After about 10 minutes I have to stop because I'm out of breath and my body is starting to hate me. I managed to push through it after taking a short break, my body is just sore. When is a good time to stop if I feel like this? Or is it going to pay off to take the break and push through and finish it up? I don't want to hurt myself. I'm not in very good shape at all.

Thanks

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with taking a break mid-exercise. THe whole Couch 2 5k program that new runners use is actually just that. Alternating walking and running through the workout, with building up to just running in several weeks for 30 minutes (or a 5k).

You could easily do the same thing with your workout. Plan from the beginning to Zumba for a bit, then rest/walk in place/ whatever. To be honest, if you wanted to a model on how long to do each to help you progress to doing the full workout., you could transfer the times form C25k to your Zumba.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i remember when i managed to get enough courage to use an elliptical machine; advancing from a sit down bike... i lasted 4 mins...

you will be in pain until your muscles get used to being used, once you are through this it will get easier....

you should work out / rest on alternating days until your muscles have adjusted and built up a little endurance
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    youll be fine