Did you have a lot of set backs?

Options
So I'm back at 0 and have been going at this for 25 days :-(. I lose then gain, etc. I am confident that it is my eating options and exercise, I'm working on that. But for those of you with big losses. Did you start out like this? Did you have some set backs? Can you share them a bit to encourage those of us having a rough start? And advice at overcoming them.

Replies

• Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    Starting out it is the hardest time you will have eating right, but the easiest time you will have losing weight. I definitely had bad days/weekends, but I was so over weight that even little changes less to weight loss.. all I can say is don't give up be honest with your tracking and try to focus on one small change at a time and stick with that until it becomes habitual.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I did not have any setbacks because I planned for them. Prior to starting I knew there would be roadblocks and I knew I would stumble a few times, but I planned fort that.

For example: you know a day is going to come when for no apparent reason whatsoever you are going to be starving - what are you going to do ? 1. try to power through it, most likely won't work. 2. Allow myself up to a 200 calorie snack and try to figure out why that specific day I was so hungry. 3. Just go with my cravings, but cut the serving in half. But most important LOG IT ALL.

I set up scenarios and solutions to any situation I could come up with that way I never had any set backs.

I go out to eat very little so my solution for that was to have whatever entree I wanted, but no apps or dessert.

I discuss my diet (food choices) with no one. I have no 'bad' foods, I have no forbidden foods. I did have some foods I eliminated temporarily due to my weak will power - no more walnuts or craisins in the house for a while - but they will be back for summer salad season.

For the holiday season I allowed myself to gain back 5 of my hard lost pounds. I had hoped that was a wild estimate and would not do it, but I did, exactly. But I logged as much of it as I could and looking back now I see that I ate a lot of buttery items and lots of dairy that I don't normally eat.

Always have a plan B, and a plan C
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I had no set backs for the first 7 months solid, continuous loss every single week - then it hit me, and I kept putting on and losing the same few lb's for a few weeks, It was my own fault I know that, I'd overeat for a few days, then have a few good days, it was just a vicious circle, but I did finally break out of it, but it's down to nobody but you. Only you can choose what goes into your mouth, what exercise you do etc, so only you can lose weight. You have to focus and be really determined.
    Just now, because of the holidays I've been overeating for the past 3 days.. But I know exactly what I need to do to get back on track, and only I can do it.

How many calories are you eating, what exercise are you doing, etc? It could also be that you're just not eating enough so inclined to 'binge' once you feel depraved.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I have had no setbacks, except for this plateau after losing 47+ pounds.
    Why?

When I started back in July, I took a careful inventory
    of the foods that made me over-eat. I had read about food allergies
    causing one to crave the food to which one is allergic. I had a habit of binging
    with all forms of wheat, dairy products, potatoes, and rice. I cut those foods
    out of my life, with few regrets-- such as when my mother brings home a loaf
    of freshly-baked French bread. However, I could live the rest of my life without them
    because I no longer feel hunger or cravings.

The second thing I did was to explore how many calories I should eat. I went to
    sites such as the BMI, or basal metabolism indicator, for my starting weight
    and my first goal, which was 260. I ate 1800 calories, a 500 calorie deficit, for the first
    five months of this lifestyle change. I know this from calculating my TDEE,
    or total daily energy expenditure. I set the calculator for a sedentary lifestyle,
    since I can't exercise much due to lower back weakness and arthritic knees.
    If you're eating too few calories for your TDEE, you will often feel ravenous!

Occasionally, there is a day when I'll eat a potato, or foods with refined sugar.
    The overage is never enough to gain a pound, so I'll just mooooove on the next day.

Best wishes!
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    SETBACKS???? Did you say SETBACKS?? Oh my goodness, I have had them the whole journey. I had a 5 day cruise in August and I'll let you guess how that went :embarassed: I have had weekends that I told myself, oh this wont hurt. But, I continued on the journey and I hope to have a success story of no set backs. Try not to beat yourself up. Your only human :flowerforyou:
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any setbacks in the beginning but the changes I made were so drastic that it really would have difficult not to lose weight. I went from zero activity and fast food everything to daily activity and lean meats and veggies. Given that change, some amount of success was almost a given.

I have had a bit of a set back recently. After having a good deal of success I got busy and started missing workouts and eating things that were convenient instead of sticking with the program that was working. "It's only one workout or one "bad" meal" ended up becoming more normal and my progress has been at a near stand still for four months. My confidence is a bit shaken but I'm working to come out of this now.

Sorry I don't really have any advice other than to move more and eat healthier. That's what I'm going to do to try to get out of my rut. Hopefully seeing someone like me, who by all accounts has been successful at this (down 172 pounds in 19 months), has the same issues can be somewhat motivating.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    My progress has been very slow. There was a 6 week period that I didnt lose anything. You just have to push through and you will get it!!
  • kayveebee7
    kayveebee7 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I did not have any setbacks because I planned for them. Prior to starting I knew there would be roadblocks and I knew I would stumble a few times, but I planned fort that.

For example: you know a day is going to come when for no apparent reason whatsoever you are going to be starving - what are you going to do ? 1. try to power through it, most likely won't work. 2. Allow myself up to a 200 calorie snack and try to figure out why that specific day I was so hungry. 3. Just go with my cravings, but cut the serving in half. But most important LOG IT ALL.

I set up scenarios and solutions to any situation I could come up with that way I never had any set backs.

I go out to eat very little so my solution for that was to have whatever entree I wanted, but no apps or dessert.

I discuss my diet (food choices) with no one. I have no 'bad' foods, I have no forbidden foods. I did have some foods I eliminated temporarily due to my weak will power - no more walnuts or craisins in the house for a while - but they will be back for summer salad season.

For the holiday season I allowed myself to gain back 5 of my hard lost pounds. I had hoped that was a wild estimate and would not do it, but I did, exactly. But I logged as much of it as I could and looking back now I see that I ate a lot of buttery items and lots of dairy that I don't normally eat.

Always have a plan B, and a plan C

Great ideas! Thank you!
  • kayveebee7
    Options
    My progress has been very slow. There was a 6 week period that I didnt lose anything. You just have to push through and you will get it!!

Thank you! That is encouraging, especially since you've lost quite a bit. Thanks.
  • kayveebee7
    Options
    SETBACKS???? Did you say SETBACKS?? Oh my goodness, I have had them the whole journey. I had a 5 day cruise in August and I'll let you guess how that went :embarassed: I have had weekends that I told myself, oh this wont hurt. But, I continued on the journey and I hope to have a success story of no set backs. Try not to beat yourself up. Your only human :flowerforyou:

Thank you, I'm going to continue too.
  • kayveebee7
    Options
    I didn't have any setbacks in the beginning but the changes I made were so drastic that it really would have difficult not to lose weight. I went from zero activity and fast food everything to daily activity and lean meats and veggies. Given that change, some amount of success was almost a given.

I have had a bit of a set back recently. After having a good deal of success I got busy and started missing workouts and eating things that were convenient instead of sticking with the program that was working. "It's only one workout or one "bad" meal" ended up becoming more normal and my progress has been at a near stand still for four months. My confidence is a bit shaken but I'm working to come out of this now.

Sorry I don't really have any advice other than to move more and eat healthier. That's what I'm going to do to try to get out of my rut. Hopefully seeing someone like me, who by all accounts has been successful at this (down 172 pounds in 19 months), has the same issues can be somewhat motivating.

I think that is something I have to work on. We eat healthy (I buy about 1 5lb bag of sugar a year for a family of four) we only drink water, rarely juice.........but my carbs and overeating of "healthy" food is a problem. Which is why Ilike MFP, it helps me portion. I'm active, but could do more. Thank you for your Information, it helps.
  • kayveebee7
    Options
    I have had no setbacks, except for this plateau after losing 47+ pounds.
    Why?

When I started back in July, I took a careful inventory
    of the foods that made me over-eat. I had read about food allergies
    causing one to crave the food to which one is allergic. I had a habit of binging
    with all forms of wheat, dairy products, potatoes, and rice. I cut those foods
    out of my life, with few regrets-- such as when my mother brings home a loaf
    of freshly-baked French bread. However, I could live the rest of my life without them
    because I no longer feel hunger or cravings.

The second thing I did was to explore how many calories I should eat. I went to
    sites such as the BMI, or basal metabolism indicator, for my starting weight
    and my first goal, which was 260. I ate 1800 calories, a 500 calorie deficit, for the first
    five months of this lifestyle change. I know this from calculating my TDEE,
    or total daily energy expenditure. I set the calculator for a sedentary lifestyle,
    since I can't exercise much due to lower back weakness and arthritic knees.
    If you're eating too few calories for your TDEE, you will often feel ravenous!

Occasionally, there is a day when I'll eat a potato, or foods with refined sugar.
    The overage is never enough to gain a pound, so I'll just mooooove on the next day.

Best wishes!

This was great info!! Thank you! I will check it out.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a good health is an ever-going process. You cannot stop. Besides you have been so strong willed, why you lose hope now. All you need to do is to follow some dietary habits and keep a check on your body fat percent. That's what actually matters.
  • snowflakeln99
    snowflakeln99 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I definitely did! I tried my hardest last year to lose weight. Lost about 17-18lbs. In 2 months, gained BACK 7-8 lbs. So I ended the year at a 10lb loss. Better than a 10lb gain I guess but I'm not too proud of it. So I'm starting afresh once again and I plan to end this next year with more than another 10lb loss. Shooting for 20-35 this year. :) Best of luck to you as well!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    When I first started I had more setbacks then I do now, but when I started I did what I had always done to try and drop weight. Huge calorie deficit, boring food, cut everything out and be miserable for 3 days then say oh well this won't work. But, luckily in those 3 days I started educating myself and reading success stories and they were talking about eating good food, decent amounts, and their families didn't want to commit them. Once I learned portion control and moderation I don't really have set backs, some days are better than others, but they are just a day and tomorrow I get to try again.

Learning I don't have to be perfect, just make better choices 80% of the time has made my life much easier for me and my family that has to put up with me.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My first week or two I didn't lose really anything. My body was in shock. But I have lost continually and evenly since then. But then again I haven't really done any binges or anything off goal. I just made up my mind that no food was worth hurting my health for. Good news is that it took a couple of weeks to kill the worst of my cravings, but now I'm not even really hungry for junk food or fast food like I used to be.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've definitely had set backs. I lost 90 pounds at one point and put most of it back on. I yoyo'd the same 20 pounds three times in 2012. This year I got serious. I cut out all the crap food. It took me several years to realize it, but I can't moderate certain foods. Particularly foods that have refined sugar mixed with flour. (I've been attacked for saying this in the past but it has been my experience...might not be yours) It really was a lifestyle change for me.

I cook fresh food everyday and always have fruit, nuts and plenty of water on hand for emergency snacks. I'm down 60 pounds for the year and I'm still losing very slowly. I have notice there have been long plateaus as I get closer to goal weight but generally if I don't lose anything for a month all of a sudden I drop 5 or so pounds almost effortlessly.

It really is as simple as calories in calories out. The trick is finding a macro mix that makes you feel full and keeps you free form the cravings that cause you to sabotage yourself. Set backs may be part of the process, but even when you fail it can give you valuable information about what to try next.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Starting out is the easy part because you are so focused and you know what you want. To me the hardest part is when you are about to finish. I am closing in on my goal and then I kind of freeze and do these horrible feeding frenzies where I eat way more than any human should. The weight comes off in about a week or so but its kind of like where do I go when I do meet my goal. The largest setback I had was 20 lbs and that was because I went 8 weeks straight of eating fast food and tons of junk food. I learned recently that I am allergic to a bunch of food so that did help me get back on track.

Setbacks are part of the process just drink some water and move on and you will be fine.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I don't even really think of them as setbacks anymore, so much as a change in priorities due to other life events. For a while, I will prioritize something else over health and fitness and subsequently gain weight back temporarily, like at Christmas when I prioritized food and family. I ate well over my maintenance every single day and the scales says I gained several lbs. Now that I'm back home and back to my normal routine, fitness is once again top priority and before you know it I'll have back off the weight I gained. This happens to me every few months for whatever reason - I take a trip, and I prioritize making the most of it and having a good time over making healthy food and exercise choices, or there is a birthday or holiday. Once I get home and get back in my routine, I get back on track and continue to lose weight, and end up at a lower weight than I was before the setback. It's not the fastest way to lose weight, by any means, but for me it's the most enjoyable and sustainable because it's just living life.
  • andrea3131
    Options
    I've had all kinds of setbacks! Most of them were from me giving in and giving up for periods of time or not logging like I should! I find that if I log everything dailey I tend not to eat as much. Mostly because I hate logging in and looking at All the food I've consumed or the wrong choices I've made so I tend to eat less and make better(although not always the best but still better) choices. It's kinda like being accountable only to yourself :-) And I'm back on for logging in again after a month or two break....:-/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!