How do YOU do it?

Options
Do you eat whatever, and I mean whatever, (chips, soda, crackers, cake, full fat coffee creamer, etc) just a deficit and have succesuflly lost weight?
Or sticking more to healthy, unproccessed, lof fat.. or what not?

Just wondering.

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Do you eat whatever, and I mean whatever, (chips, soda, crackers, cake, full fat coffee creamer, etc) just a deficit and have succesuflly lost weight?

Just wondering.

I lost over 50lbs eating what I liked, which included fast food, 'processed' foods, along with salads, fruit, whole grains etc. I just counted calories and watched portion sizes. No exercise at the time either. After I transitioned into maintenance I got sucked into the whole 'clean' eating movement and tried that for 3 months. It was an epic fail for me and I had some negative side effects from it. So now I'm back to eating the foods I enjoy in moderation and I'm happy, healthy, and look decent in a swimsuit (not bad for a mom of three kids I think :) ).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Just wondering.

Yes. And yes.

Last time I lost weight, I ate pretty much whatever I wanted - just less of it. Of course, that "whatever I wanted" was part of an overall dietary plan that included whole foods, too. It wasn't an either-or proposition. It was just figuring out how to hit my Caloric and nutritional needs, without having to give up the things I liked. Basically, instead of having cake, brownies or ice cream (or some combination of the three) nearly every night for dessert, I cut it down to once or twice a week. It was fine.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I want within reason. I do my best to stay away from those "bad" things, but If I must have it, I log it and move on!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Yes! I eat whatever I want and stay at a deficit! It works! I just have to change the deficit to fit me every now and then as it seems as I went lower like MFP suggested I stopped losing...and I noticed when I ate over that deficit that I'm losing again..so I changed my deficit for a higher one for now..and will see where it takes me...if no change in a month..I'll go lower again.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change ............I've lost weight many times.....and gained it back. For the long haul (rest of my life) ....I need to make permanent changes. I won't cut out sugar ....forever, I won't eat low fat......forever.

So....I basically eat what I want. However, my choices have changed (gradually). I've found that many processed foods just don't give me a lot of bang for my calorie buck.

Example ....white bread is lower in fiber & protein than whole wheat. Fiber & protein fill me up .....I need that when my overall calories are reduced.

Also, I now focus on getting veggies every single day......low calorie & high fiber.....win-win!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I have little treats everyday, but I attempt to consume healthier stuff on a daily basis.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have little treats everyday, but I attempt to consume healthier stuff on a daily basis.

same. i used to be really restrictive, also because i have minor food allergies. but i cut out processed foods almost 100% a few months ago and i am now starting to eat healthy 80-90% of the time and then ill treat myself to something. i couldnt eat chips/soda/burgers everyday though i would go overboard.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much what I want...but it all has to fit into my calories/macros.

When I was first losing weight I stuck with the 'healthier' stuff because I needed to eat more food to keep me feeling full. I mainly drink water, because I'd rather eat my calories than drink them
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't find it possible to eat a lot of "junk" (defined as chips, cookies, fastfood, etc...), stay within my daily calorie allotment AND not be hungry. Let's face it, those things are very high calorie and tend to be carb heavy as well. For me, I couldn't get through the day, I'd blow through my calories by 5pm. It just makes my life easier to avoid the aforementioned "junk" and stick to lean meats, fruits, vegetables, grains, etc... But... That's me... Good luck!
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I don't find it possible to eat a lot of "junk" (defined as chips, cookies, fastfood, etc...), stay within my daily calorie allotment AND not be hungry. Let's face it, those things are very high calorie and tend to be carb heavy as well. For me, I couldn't get through the day, I'd blow through my calories by 5pm. It just makes my life easier to avoid the aforementioned "junk" and stick to lean meats, fruits, vegetables, grains, etc... But... That's me... Good luck!

YEAH THAT WAS MY THING, I TRIED IT BEFORE AND DIDNT HAVE ANY LUCK, I WAS HUNGRY!!
    NOW IM EATING HEALTHIER, BUT THINGS THAT I ACTUALLY ENJOY AND CAN EAT FOREVER, EXAMPLE (PLAIN YOGURT WITH APPLE SLICES FOR SNACK, LOVE IT, FILLS ME UP, LOW IN CALS)
    AND ALSO DRIKING ONLY WATER, AND GREEN TEA, AS I ALSO RATHER EAT MY CALORIES THEN DRINK THEM.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Just wondering.

For me, the big thing is that those things don't make up the majority of my diet. They're not off limits, just in the minority.

Generally, I have found that "junk" food can satisfy a craving, but not so much my actual hunger.

So I might have some chips or a chocolate bar because I'd like to have those things. And for a long time, I actually included a Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar in my daily calories. But the majority of my diet, the material I rely on to keep my body fueled and hunger at bay, consists of more balanced meals with "healtier" foods.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Just wondering.
    Neither extreme. I basically eat what I want (regularly eat white bread, white pasta, chocolate, cheese, butter, cookies etc) but I do pay attention to the overall balance of my diet. Each day I aim to get a minimum amount of protein and fibre. I eat a lot of lean meat, nuts and vegetables to get a good range of micronutrients.

I don't demonise processed foods, but I cook most of my meals from scratch (mostly because I like cooking, and it tastes good.) I don't split foods into "healthy" and "unhealthy" or "good" and "bad", I just strive to get the nutrients I need, while enjoying the food I like.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat whatever, whenever.

BUT... over time I'm finding out what foods really are wasteful in terms of calories and satisfaction. I've shifted my breakfasts from pancakes/french toast/ bagels to generally more proteins... eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, Greek yogurt, even steak on occasion. Still, sometimes I decide I want a big-*kitten* stack of flapjacks with butter and syrup and a side of home fries... so I'll work it into the day's budget.

I no longer get a daily mocha, but after a long cold hike, it is the perfect thing.

Same thing with snacks... I still eat candy bars from time-to-time, but I've generally shifted towards fruits.... or even protein bars. I get the Premier Protein Crisp Bars from Costco... end up costing the same-ish per unit as a snickers or three musketeers, and they are more satisfying for roughly the same amount of calories.

One "junk food" that I oddly have increased is ice cream. I've probably eaten more ice cream in the past year than ever before in my life. I eat both "good" ice cream/ gelatto, and I also always have "crappy" ice cream sandwiches in the freezer. They are a great pre-portioned snack that is great for satisfying cravings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat primarily nutrient dense foods. I eat 4-6 servings of veg pretty much daily, a couple servings of fruit...lots of lean proteins including chicken, lots of salmon and other fish, and lean cuts of pork and beef. I cook primarily with Olive Oil and Avocado oil and I also eat a lot of avocado, almonds (and other nuts) for my healthy fats.

I also eat ice cream, hot dogs, potato chips, jelly beans, gummy worms, and a multitude of other foods that would be considered "junk" foods....but as a % of my total diet, these things are consumed in minuscule proportions. I'm a firm believer in getting proper nutrition and eating a balanced and nutrient dense diet...but you can have a little fun too.

I do it because I can't keep my blood work under control if I'm not eating nutritiously dense foods and eating a lot of junk food...I can control my weight that way but not my blood work. I'm personally all about my health right now, not so much being at some arbitrary weight or fitting into some certain sized pants or something.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like, inside my macro and calorie goals. It is a plain reality that fitting inside those goals means cutting back on both "processed" and unprocessed foods.
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options

So....I basically eat what I want. However, my choices have changed (gradually). I've found that many processed foods just don't give me a lot of bang for my calorie buck.

This is me! I would rather eat something that will keep me satisfied longer.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I love this post. I had the same question myself. I restrict myself so much that I fall off all the time when I eat something that I love. I have learned that life is too short and I should enjoy all the foods I love. I cook just about every night, so that helps me to eat whole clean foods. I eat anything that I want as long as I am cooking it. I splurge on pizza, pastas, mexican and any other calorie rich foods when I am in the mood for them. Most of the time I just get in the kitchen and make my fave foods.

I have just learned that it is important for me to eat all of my calories back. So this time I am doing that and hoping to lose weight and see results.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I no longer get a daily mocha, but after a long cold hike, it is the perfect thing.

This sort of sums up my own "philosophy". Sometimes that satisfying, perfect thing is a cream cheese Danish, not celery with hummus!

I still have a lot of the stuff that some people consider bad/evil, just far less of it and less often. I want a SUSTAINABLE pattern of eating, not a drastic diet. I've lost 103 lb total from my HW and I am 99% sure I could not have done that eating only salads and chicken breasts. Likewise, I still haven't hit onederland (4 lb away) and I could have been there a month (or longer) ago if I was willing to cut back more than I have...I'm not. I want something that will be easily sustained. I don't wanna slip up and gain it all back.

Like someone else mentioned, it is a bit difficult to stay within your macros and feel full if you're eating really rich, fried, fast food, etc...for example, I could have a 200 cal breakfast (pretty normal for me) and then get an 800 calorie burger for lunch with 350 calories of fries. But I am more satisfied with 3-4 balanced smaller meals and more vegetables and so on. That doesn't mean I never eat fast food.

MFP has taught me a lot about the food I eat. Some of it I can just take or leave now (Snickers bars, chips, Taco Bell) and some of it's WORTH the calories, fat, and sodium (restaurant enchiladas, small sundaes).