GYMS for "Fattys" only ( Good or Bad)

BL_Coleman
BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nightline-fix-abc-news/gyms-overweight-members-only-154200233.html?vp=1

Saw this today while reading the news? What do you think of this? I have been overweight and uncomfortable in a gym ( mostly because the only size 0-2 girl in the whole gym always seems to be one treadmill away) but once I started working out and got off the sorry for myself kick, I didnt even notice who was next to me..unless they were an extremely attractive guy...

What yall think...Good/Bad/Indifferent?

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    It's silly, imho.
    Other people's bodies motivate me to push myself.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    So..... When you are successful at this gym, you get kicked out...?
  • BL_Coleman
    you know I wondered about that too...they never mention what happens when you meet your goal....
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    I think it's stupid. Even at a gym for "fatties" there will still be someone thinner than you, more attractive than you, who can lift more, run longer or faster than you. That's the nature of any public setting. And who I'd going to decide who is "fat enough" for the fattie gym? I'm 184 lbs which is fat to me but might be a mini goal of somebody who started out at 300,400 or 500lbs. Just some things to consider...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Yea lets exclude and single out people for there weight even further

as if society does not already do that enough

"fat people gym" no no

no
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Seems like a terrible idea. When the so called "fatties" get in shape, the new and improved have to find a new gym. Loss of business...fail.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Maybe you get your picture taken, it gets put on a wall then you get told GTFO NAO.
    Tsk tsk.
  • jonnythan
    Mmmm. Meat.
  • jonnythan
    Seems like a terrible idea. When the so called "fatties" get in shape, the new and improved have to find a new gym. Loss of business...fail.

Realistically, so few people are actually successful (especially long term) it's not much of a concern.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member

^This was my initial reaction.

Also, when I belonged to the gym (I workout at home now), I never noticed "fat" people or "skinny" people. I only noticed people killing it or people effing off and either way, I didn't mind. I was there for me and not for anyone else.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    From a money-making standpoint, it's brilliant.

$50 per month just to get into the door? F that.

$250 per month to include a trainer - likely the only person in the entire place that have any idea of what (s)he is doing.

My god - the guys who started this - in a major city, no less - are geniuses.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

^^^ that's what I was thinking....

i don't like the idea of "fattys only" gyms.... they should have an atmosphere where everyone is accepted, of every fitness level. Having special gyms for "fat" people just reinforces the FALSE idea that beginners of all shapes and sizes are not welcome or accepted in "normal" gyms. There are a small number of arseholes in any walk of life, but on the whole, people ARE accepting of very unfit and out of shape people in the gym. It's normal to feel scared the first time you go, especially if you're really badly out of shape (which can apply to skinny unfit people not just fat unfit people) but the gym should encourage people to get over that rather than coddling them over it, which actually makes the fear greater, rather than helping them get over it. I'm sure there are things a lot of gyms can do to make very anxious beginners feel more welcome and at home, but "fatty only" gyms is not the answer.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Considering that working out is such a minor part of fat loss and that the majority of it comes from nutrition and eating at a deficit this doesn't make sense to me. It's putting such an emphasis on a working out which lets say a moderate cardio session might burn 400ish calories when really that person needs to say no to that second helping of cookies or those 4 extra chicken wings.

And I agree, I used to feel weird about going to the gym and I still do especially if I'm trying a new compound lift or if there are a bunch of people in the weights area but you just do it and eventually you realize you don't care about what others are doing as much as they don't care about you...

Except for that blonde hotty who spins, lifts and drives a Prius with a 26.2 sticker on the back... yummm I always care what he's doing :)
  • BL_Coleman

Except for that blonde hotty who spins, lifts and drives a Prius with a 26.2 sticker on the back... yummm I always care what he's doing :)

I agree what he is doing is always important...eye candy is always appreciated..( especially if they like decent music) :)
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Interesting concept but a bad idea IMO. We fatties do not be segregated! I was intimidated at first going to the gym and seeing all the young/fit gym rats in action. But, most are there to workout and not paying attention to others anyway so no worries. I've also found several to very helpful and encouraging if I had any questions. Course I'm old enough to be their dad which maybe changes some aspects such as "I am not their peer or their competition".
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Realistically, so few people are actually successful (especially long term) it's not much of a concern.

So excluding people who have succeeded and want to stay in shape. While only allowing noobs who just started and will eventually quit and won't give them money to keep the business thriving. Seems very bad business practice.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Stupid idea IMO.
  • So..... When you are successful at this gym, you get kicked out...?

According to their facebook page, they are allowed to stay and inspire others.

They also have an @Home program for anyone who wants to pay $20 per month to view their exercise & nutrition advice videos.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member

According to their facebook page, they are allowed to stay and inspire others.

They also have an @Home program for anyone who wants to pay $20 per month to view their exercise & nutrition advice videos.

Meh, being an inspiration is overrated. I'd rather live a life with loose morals and not have to worry about anybody paying attention.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    So excluding people who have succeeded and want to stay in shape. While only allowing noobs who just started and will eventually quit and won't give them money to keep the business thriving. Seems very bad business practice.

Except that unless the noobs pay an extra $200 per month, they won't have access to a trainer and nutritionist - who may or may not, incidentally, give them good advice - and will likely not succeed, because they will likely have no idea what they're doing. In addition, this is in Chicago - a large city. There will be plenty of new clients pretty much non-stop.