Logging Kettle Bell Workout

Options
I am Excited! I got a kettle bell for Christmas! I think I'll start out with ChiChi R.'s Beginner Kettle Bell Work Out on youtube but I don't know how to log the exercise on MFP. Any suggestions? Thanks

Replies

• persistandendure
    Options
    Sure, just type in Kettlebell and you should be able to pull up the workout for them...
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks but I did that. It isn't there.
  • lrdoolan
    lrdoolan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do the Jillian Michaels kettle bell workout and I log it under circuit training. I wear a HRM also and adjust the calories if needed.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You really should get a heart rate monitor to be sure! It will definitely depend on your intensity, size, etc.

In the meantime, you might consider logging it as circuit training. Check and see if the corresponding burned calories seem way off... ie if you take it easy on your first few KB workouts, you might only log 30 minutes instead of an hour, etc. Hope this helps!
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Heart Rate Monitor? It also depends on how intense the workout is because then it could range anywhere from 5 - 10 calories a minute. I wear an HRM and Bob Harper's Kettlebell Shred (very intense) burns 11 calories a minute, according to the HRM.

Another thing is you could compare against a know quantity. If you do a non-kettlebell routine that is in the database you can judge or guess how close you thought the Kettlebell routine came to it.
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. You're right I should spring for a HRM. The cheap ones do not work well for me.
    I found a site called sparkpeople that would use my weight and minutes with a kettle bell to figure calories spent. Curious they didn't ask for the weight of the bell.
    Like y'all suggested I can use the number they give me and find a corresponding activity and calorie burn number to log in. Not perfect but it'll work!
    Pray for me, I have visions of me tossing the bell through the window accidentally:)