Feedback pls! Heart rate monitor/calorie tracker gadget

Options
I am wanting to invest in a good gadget/tool to assist me on my weight loss journey. I've been using phone apps to monitor my walking/jogging speed and estimated calories burned but I would like a wrist band or watch that may be a bit more accurate. Can anyone suggest the best one to purchase?

I saw a lot of Garmin watches in my facebook feed just after Christmas. I've heard a little about fitbit and polar watches.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the topic. Even if you've come across helpful comparison articles on your own search??

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MommaSari
    MommaSari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just got the POLAR watch, and I absolutely love it!
  • rpn2003
    rpn2003 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend the Polar FT4! Good luck!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Anything Polar makes is going to be a win.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I can't suggest anything, but I will share an important point with you. Things like the Fit Bit are very popular, but they are only step counters, and so they only determine calorie burn based on estimates for how many steps you've taken in a day.

Heartrate montors are different, in that they make assumptions about your activity & calorie burn based on heart rate. They are the most accurate when doing steady state cardio (walking, jogging, running), and become less accurate the further you deviate from these exercises. The most accurate HRM include a chest strap that you have to wear.

One brand of HRM that I understand to be very good is Polar, but again, I've never used any of these.
  • gamergirl180
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and love it. It isn't too fancy, it tracks your heart rate/calories burned and it's pretty afford able at around $60 online. It also comes with a chest strap so it's more accurate then just the watches.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I second the Polar FT4. Very easy to use and the watches look nice too :) and it's waterproof!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can't suggest anything, but I will share an important point with you. Things like the Fit Bit are very popular, but they are only step counters, and so they only determine calorie burn based on estimates for how many steps you've taken in a day.

Heartrate montors are different, in that they make assumptions about your activity & calorie burn based on heart rate. They are the most accurate when doing steady state cardio (walking, jogging, running), and become less accurate the further you deviate from these exercises. The most accurate HRM include a chest strap that you have to wear.

One brand of HRM that I understand to be very good is Polar, but again, I've never used any of these.

This!^

A heart rate monitor & a FitBit do totally different things. If wearing a FitBit encourages you to move more, then it's worth it. If the phone app already does the same.....skip the FitBit.

A heart rate monitor is best for steady state cardio....not designed for strength training. And I agree with gamergirl.....chest strap is more accurate than the wrist only models.
  • nissaea
    Options
    thanks for the feedback so far!! seems like a lot of pro polar people out there! this is definitely helping me make some hard choices! and FrnkLft, thanks! I actually didn't realize fitbit was merely a step counter.
  • udamom
    udamom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 . Totally helped me lose when I was getting stalled out. The phone apps and MFP can't see your HR so I think are much less accurate!
    enjoy whatever you get!
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I should mention that if you decide for the HRM there are also bluetooth (and bluetooth smart) chest straps that pair directly with your smartphone, so that you don't need to buy a watch.

Polar wearlink and H7 are popular choices but there are other good products (I use the Runtastic app with Runtastic smart combo HRM and I'm happy with it).