Hula Hoop

Options
2»

Replies

• mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome post! I was actually in a travelling hula hoop club when I was in middle school and boy did it give us a workout. I am inspired to pick it up again and add it to my weight loss and workout plan! Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can get a good quality one?
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I ordered one from Your Hoop, but it hasn't arrived yet. Should be here Monday. It seems that they are all about the same: PVC irrigation hose wrapped with decorative tape. I looked into making one myself, but you can't buy just the supplies for making one hoop. The PVC stuff comes in 100 yard coils and the tape is all pretty expensive. Including shipping, I paid about $50 for the one I bought. I could have bought all the stuff for around $100 and had enough to make 10 hoops, but I don't need 10 hoops, so I just bought a hoop.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You can buy them (and take classes online) at my friend's site. I never spam with that, I promise. It just fits the topic and she really is wonderful at what she does :) There is a link there somewhere for how to make your own, too.

http://lineandcircle.com/store-2/
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I bought my first hoop from SupaDupaHoopa in the eBay Shops section. Still one of my favorite hoops. There is also Mood Hoops, Hoopnotica and etsy.

You will want to measure yourself first from the floor to just above your belly button to know what size to order. Though, I like my hoops a little larger, so I measure to the point in between my belly button and where my sports bra would end.

Welcome to the Hoop Circle.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I can only go counter-clockwise, too. Occasionally I try to practice going clockwise. I think all the exercise I get that way is from bending down to pick it back up. Anyway, when I do a straight 1/2 hour of hooping, my heart rate is usually hovering right around 135, giving me a calorie burn of about 250 calories. Usually though, I do 5 minutes of hoop, and then 5 minutes of dumbbell work...alternating back and forth for about 30-40 minutes.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My hoop came today. I played with it for about 10 minutes. I couldn't keep it going more than four or five spins. Hopefully I will get better.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    One tip I've found is to do it in bare feet - I can balance much easier than in trainers.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh they are fun, there are quite a few on here that do that daily.