Juicing to make up for holiday 6 day mess up?

Options
So up until 6 days ago I was exercising great and eating reliably healthy and losing some weight slowly but surely!
Then I went home for Christmas, and saw all the food I never get to eat (I'm Mexican and where I live there is NO real Mexican food) and I ate...and ate it....and ate some more. Not to mention all the leftovers I brought with me. I didn't go to the gym the whole time. Although I'm planning to get back on the wagon I'm not sure where to start. The same jeans that fit me great 6 days ago. Now fit snug and a bit of muffin top yuck :p part of me is tempted to go on some sort of detox diet, like maybe juicing for 6 days? To make up for all this horrible eating? What do you guys think is juicing a good idea? Any tips on it?

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Cleansing is hogwash. Your organs already do that for you. Just get back to what you were doing and up your water intake. Right now, you're more than likely VERY bloated, which explains why your pants don't fit right. The bloat will go away.

Honestly, fasting and "cleansing" is not going to help you.
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    Just go back to exercising great and eating healthily.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "make up for it". Just get back to how you were eating before. Don't cleanse, don't detox, don't get into the habit of punishing yourself for overeating. It's a great way to set yourself up for disordered eating patterns and yo-yo dieting. You won't have put on a significant amount of fat in 6 days. You are very likely bloated, retaining water and full of much more food/waste than usual.

You'll feel much better in a few days, and I bet will have lost most if not all of the weight you have gained. If you really went crazy, any real fat gain will come off within a couple of weeks. Worst case scenario, you reach your goal weight a couple of weeks later than you would have.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree with the replies above! You don't need to do it.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Cleansing is hogwash. Your organs already do that for you. Just get back to what you were doing and up your water intake. Right now, you're more than likely VERY bloated, which explains why your pants don't fit right. The bloat will go away.

Honestly, fasting and "cleansing" is not going to help you.

I agree ^^^
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Um just no! just stick to a reasonable deficit, exercise regularly and log honestly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Forget about cleansing or juicing or fasting. That's nonsense and is harmful to your body. Just forgive yourself for "going over board", enjoy the family vacation you've had, and move forward.

Something that one of my friends list pals told me once really stuck with me. This is a LIVE IT not a DIE IT. That really stick with me because we have to live our lives, we need to enjoy or families and friends. If that means a few days of wonderful meals and laughs and drinks, then have fun doing it. Start back to your healthy eating with your next meal. Those left covers you've brought home will not last forever.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just went back to eating at my normal deficit after I had a few holiday splurges. If I did a fad-diet or detox thing to "make up" for the extra calories, I would be hungry and probably blow the whole thing. It'll be a whole year before the holidays roll around again. You will not ruin your goals based on 6 days, just delay them a bit.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I hope you are not meaning to blaspheme mexican food. On the assumption you are not and simply ate too much of it from being denied it in your neighborhood, I hope this will be an example that you shouldn't deny yourself anything you love for too long. I'd find one or two places within driving distance and go there once in awhile, maybe once a month if it's a long drive.

For this weeks misstep realize that you have 51 more weeks left in the year in which to eat reasonably and be "good". 1/52nd bad out of 51/52nds good is still a GREAT track record.

Your scale and muffin top will go down very very fast now that you know how to get down from where you are. Just get back to it with your normal methods and you'll be fine. I bet within a week you'll be back to comfy in your jeans once you've had an eventful toilet visit and drank the usual 8 glasses of water per day to get your insides working and get rid of any excess salt you may have not been used to.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    So up until 6 days ago I was exercising great and eating reliably healthy and losing some weight slowly but surely!
    Then I went home for Christmas, and saw all the food I never get to eat (I'm Mexican and where I live there is NO real Mexican food) and I ate...and ate it....and ate some more. Not to mention all the leftovers I brought with me. I didn't go to the gym the whole time. Although I'm planning to get back on the wagon I'm not sure where to start. The same jeans that fit me great 6 days ago. Now fit snug and a bit of muffin top yuck :p part of me is tempted to go on some sort of detox diet, like maybe juicing for 6 days? To make up for all this horrible eating? What do you guys think is juicing a good idea? Any tips on it?

why do you think you have to punish yourself for taking 6 days "off" and eating the foods you love with your family?

just go back to your normal moderate deficit. there is no need to punish yourself with an extreme weight loss gimmick.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    just go back to your normal moderate deficit. there is no need to punish yourself with an extreme weight loss gimmick.

This, you didn't do anything wrong, I went over during the Holidays as well, there are countless people who did. When you mess up on your diet just pretend like it never happened and continue on as normal. A deficit is supposed to get you skinnier, and while that takes discipline, you don't have to turn it into a battle.