RUNNERS!

2»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I'm running 10km twice a week and I've registered for a half marathon at the end of March.

What would be the best training routine to increase my distance between now and March?

I agree with the Hal Higdon. He has some apps you can buy for your smartphones too, and they worked great for me. I used his novice HM training plan to train for my first HM. But...you will need to increase your running days. Running only twice a week won't get you ready for your HM. Pretty much all first time HM training plans top out at about 25 miles a week. Just a heads up on that, so expect to dedicate at least 4 days for it.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    I'm running 10km twice a week and I've registered for a half marathon at the end of March.

What would be the best training routine to increase my distance between now and March?

Generally the rule of thumb is to increase your long run (one per week) by around 10%. Every 4th week, you cut back on the distance of the run for a recover week.
    So for your next long run, you would run 11, the next 12, the next 13 then drop back to maybe 8 or 9. (some people might up by 2k each week).
    There are tons of online training plans. Hal Higdon's are pretty popular.

Thanks! :smile:
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member

I agree with the Hal Higdon. He has some apps you can buy for your smartphones too, and they worked great for me. I used his novice HM training plan to train for my first HM. But...you will need to increase your running days. Running only twice a week won't get you ready for your HM. Pretty much all first time HM training plans top out at about 25 miles a week. Just a heads up on that, so expect to dedicate at least 4 days for it.

Thanks. I thought as much. I've switched my weights to a full body programme to accommodate the extra running.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    ATT: Runners! I have started C25K and my goal this year is to run my first 5K! I am new to this world though and have been wondering some things...
    1. What are the best shoes under $100 to run in? I have New Balances and my feet hurt so bad afterwards!
    2. Do you drink water or a sports drink during your run?
    3. How long did it take you before you were ready to run your first 5k?
    4. Any other advice on starting out?
    5. Good things to eat before and after runs?
    6. Whats best, Treadmill or outside?

Thanks everyone!

1. Go to a running store and get fitted. You need to find the perfect shoe for you. It's worth the investment to find the right shoes. Your shoes should not cause you any sort of pain!

2.Stick with water. Sports drinks are not necessary until you are working out for over 90 minutes. Personally I don't even carry water with me for shorter runs (less than an hour) unless it's the middle of the summer and the humidity is really high. In the winter I can typically go 90 minutes without needing to carry water.

3. I don't remember really. I think I trained for a couple of months with my trainer. But in hindsight, I know that I was physically ready well before I was mentally ready.

4.Stick with it. Be consistent with your training, but don't rush it. On I personal note I'll tell you that I didn't really enjoy running until I built my milage up over 3 miles. Even now, the first two miles are often the hardest. Then autopilot kicks in and that's when I start to enjoy it.
    Also, if you are going to do a race - at the start, line up towards the back.

5. Depends on when and how long I'm running. Early morning runs less than an hour, just coffee. Maybe coffee and a banana. My prerace meal is an English muffin with peanut butter and a banana, which I eat 2-2.5 hours before the race starts. Experiment with different things and find what works for you. In general think about 150-300 calories, mostly carbs, 1.5-2 hours pre-run.

6. Outside. As much as possible try to get outside.
  • 5000thAngel
    5000thAngel Posts: 60 Member
    ATT: Runners! I have started C25K and my goal this year is to run my first 5K! I am new to this world though and have been wondering some things...
    1. What are the best shoes under $100 to run in? I have New Balances and my feet hurt so bad afterwards!

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the world of C25K!! This is my second round of C25K, I started it last year and after 4 weeks I ended up stopping. I am up to the end of week 4 now, and already did my first "5K" so I think I'll make it through this time!

1) As for shoes: I tried to get away with cheap shoes, it was a bad idea. I finally gave in when I started the C25K again this time and went to a running store. They had to run on a treadmill for a few minutes and took video of my feet. Turns out I have a pretty bad pronation (ankles turn in when I run) which was why my feet would hurt so bad when I ran more than a mile or two. I paid about $140 for my running shoes and do not regret it one minute - I have absolutely no running pain. Plan on spending some extra on the shoes because it is worth it to avoid the medical bills and the pain. Also plan on replacing your shoes every 6 months to 1 year depending on how often you run. It sucks, it's expensive, but it is cheaper than the medical bills.

2) Unless you are running more than 90 minutes, you don't need sports drinks. Every website I've looked at says to stick with water unless you are going 90+ minutes because you really just don't need it. I don't bring water with me on my runs unless I'm on the treadmill (and it's winter so it's not too bad, but if I run in the summer outdoors I definitely will bring water).

3) I ran my first 5K after 3 1/2 weeks of C25K. I did not run the entire 5k without resting, I did a run/walk. My first 5K was a "fun run" called the Blacklight run. I did it because it was completely untimed (I timed myself with my phone) and most people were walking or walk/running so I didn't feel any kind of pressure or awkwardness or self-consciousness. Try to see if you have any fun runs like that around you. Blacklight runs, glow runs, color runs, etc. Those are a great first 5K. I finished my first in 39:44 (considered I have a heart condition, asthma, and was only on mid week 4 of C25K, I felt I did very well). I do my second 5K on March 8th - only a month and a half after my first. I won't be done with C25k but I'll be in better shape and having a goal to work towards makes me more likely to come home and run after work.

4) My best advice is to start out slow and don't push yourself too hard. Don't be too hard on yourself and take every success as a huge one! When I finished my first 5K my friends (who run 11 or 12 miles a day non-stop, btw) told me how awesome I did. I thought they were just being nice but they assured me that everyone starts out slow and at their own pace, and that the completion of the race itself was an accomplishment. My second piece of advice is to find some great music! I run much better with a good playlist.

5) I usually just have coffee and a protein bar before the run (if it is the morning) or if it is after work I may not eat anything because I've had lunch only a few hours before (I teach and don't get lunch until 1). What you eat depends on you. Everyone is different. Try to have consumed about 200-300 calories before a run, I think that's adequate.

6) If you want to run in 5Ks, then running outside is better training. Treadmills do not prepare you for outdoor running (outdoor is harder, there is a lot more to deal with). I run outdoors unless the weather is too cold or too hot (or stormy). If you can handle the cold or heat then stay outdoors. Remember that as it gets colder, it will be harder to breathe. Do what your body will let you do. If you are doing treadmill and then suddenly switch to outdoors then recognize that you probably will not go as far or as long as you were doing on the treadmill. It's okay. Work with your body, not against it. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member

Welcome! I'm doing Ct5K myself, after many years when I was too heavy for my knees to appreciate running. Back in the 90s, though, I ran 10-15 miles a week and worked up to a 25K race, so I have a fair amount of running experience to draw on. And I'm a long-distance cyclist (up to 125 miles in a day), so I have recent endurance experience. With my bona fides established, here are my answers to your questions; I hope they're useful.

1. If you have a specialty running shop near you, by all means visit them and ask for advice. If possible, bring the shoes you're running in now, so they can look at how you're wearing out the soles. Shoes may cost more at a specialty store, and you may end up paying a little more than $100, but a really good salesperson should take your budget into account.

By the way, track how far you run in each pair of shoes you have. Depending on the quality and the material in the shoe, and your weight and running style, you should replace shoes every 300-500 miles.

2. I drink water if I'm thirsty. The only time I drank sports drink when running was during my 25K race; I didn't drink it even on the 16-mile training runs I did beforehand. On my bike, I only eat and drink when I'm going to be out for at least 40 miles. Unless you're running for over 2 hours, your body has plenty of energy available in stored carbohydrates and fats. You want to train it to use those, so don't eat or drink any calories during your run. There's an entire sports drink industry that wants you to believe that you need sugary drinks if you're doing anything more than walking from the car to the elevator, but they are wrong.

3. I think it was probably about 2-3 months before I reached the 5K distance. I don't run competitively, though, so I never actually ran a 5K at a race pace (i.e., a pace that was at my physical limit, faster than I would run the distance normally). Even when I did the 25K, I ran it at at comfortable 8:00 pace, which was about what I had done in training.

4. Pay attention to your body. If something hurts after running, make a note, and see if it gets worse after your next run. If so, ease off. If something hurts while running, especially if it has done so before, slow down, or even stop. You don't want to exacerbate an injury by running through it. If you do injure yourself, try to find a primary care physician with knowledge of sports medicine, or get a referral to someone who specializes in the area.

5. See #2. Unless you're running for a couple hours or more, you don't need any special foods before or after running. The exception is if you have a tendency to be hypoglycemic, in which case having a piece of fruit or some juice before the run might be useful. i used to run in the morning on an empty stomach, or with a little coffee. If you are training hard, a cup or a pint of low-fat chocolate milk makes an excellent recovery drink (really! see: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075563). But that's really necessary only if you're doing a hard workout and then plan another hard workout the next day.

Lots of people who take up exercise find that it's a great excuse to eat even more calories than they burn, because they have pre-exercise meals, then they drink sports drinks during the exercise, then they have a recovery food. Don't be one of them.

6. Outside is generally better. I would make an exception, though, if the only outside surface you can run on is concrete. Concrete is really hard on your joints. Asphalt is a lot softer (it may not look it, but it is). Dirt, grass, or a running track is even better; if you live near a school, you might use their track if it's open to the public outside of school hours. Treadmills are boring, but they are also so flat that your foot always strikes them in the same position, which can lead to injuries. Outdoor running usually means that your foot strikes the surface in different ways, which helps to strengthen the foot and calf muscles and reduce the risk of injuries.

Enjoy running, and good luck finishing Ct5K!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member

Thanks everyone!

1. As others have said, there is no "best" shoe. Definitely get a gait analysis and figure out what works for you. It also helps to buy from a store with a liberal return policy. Some places allow you to return them for a few weeks even if you have already run in them. If you cannot afford the price for the new shoe, you may be able to find last year's model on sale somewhere. The changes are usually minimal from one year to the next.

2. Water. No need for sports drinks unless you are running 90 minutes or longer.

3. Honestly the 5K is the last distance I raced. I did a half and full marathon before doing a 5K. I think a lot of brand spankin' new runners can manage to run one by the end of C25K. Keep on pluggin.

4. CONSISTENCY is key! also, work on distance first, and once you have better endurance you can work on speed. Don't compare yourself to anyone else and avoid the urge to race others near by you.

5. That will take some experimenting. Some people have touchier tummies than others. Some common pre-run meals are something like PB and banana, a bagel and cream cheese, etc. Some carbs and protein, lower on fat and fiber if your stomach bothers you during a run. Eating after a run at the distance you are at isn't really crucial. Just follow up with any of your normal snacks or meals if you are super hungry.

6. If you are racing outside, run outside if at all possible. Getting used to weather, wind, terrain, etc. is crucial. You don't need to do every single run outside, but at least once a week is preferable.

Good luck and have fun!