running outside. basic gear in new england

Options
im use to running outside in the late summer. but i have never tried outside year round. particular in Connecticut weather, what are some good clothing to wear without breaking the bank? i was thinking a hat, gloves, sweatshirt pullover and conpression pants. any tips or pictures would help thanks.

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You may need to get your lungs acclimated to running in the cold ...
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I'm from Connecticut. I've gone out running in cold, cold nights. I just wear gloves, balaclava, hat, hoodie, sweat pants. I find once I start running I don't get that cold, only my face does with the cold wind hitting it. The balaclava helps that big time.

vVirkbx.jpg?1

Tip. Never drive a car while wearing a ski mask. You're going to get a gun pulled on you by the cops (happened to some people I know.)
  • nicholsc636
    nicholsc636 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can get C9 gear at Target for a reasonable price. I wear long sleeve non-cotton shirt, light jacket, running pants, crew length socks, gloves and balaclava, and I'm good down to the teens. For single digits, I have a somewhat heavier jacket and an extra base layer for my legs. Below zero, I go to the Y.

If you're on a budget, you can get away with sweats, hat, and scarf.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Instead of a sweatshirt, buy a winterweight compression shirt and a lightweight compression shirt. I have found I am able to run when temperatures are in the 20s with a winter-compression shirt and a lightweight shirt over that, compression pants, gloves, hat and/or ear covering. The problem I see with an ordinary sweatshirt is whether it wicks away moisture from your body in the cold air.

Mike
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada - I wear a balaclava,sometimes a tuque on top, longjohns, a pair of winter running pants, an undershirt (wicking material) a tech shirt, a windbreaker (some people call it a shell), my mitts or gloves (I prefer mitts) and that's it. I've gone out in -30C. - the balaclava is a must at that temperature. I'm a little chilly the first 5 minutes then I'm sweating and I often take the shell off.

Layering seems to be the most important thing. It's also my first time running in the winter - and I'm not finding it that bad... the snow on the ground is the worst part.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wear a long-sleeved performance material shirt, a lightweight jacket (hooded is best), running tights, gloves, and wool socks, hat, and cowl. Loose cowl if it's not super cold, tall, tight cowl if it's teens or lower. If it's below the teens I put wool mittens on over my cheap stretchy gloves. I've been good down to around 0 F, and I'm a pretty slow runner.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    20 degrees and over, light variable wind I do running tights, wool socks, running tank, my lightweight running jacket (wind/water proof) hat, and cheap cotton gloves (they generally come off and on all throughout the run). 20 and below with ferocious wind (25 mph plus) I add a lightweight drawstring pant ontop of tights and a long sleeve thermal, very tight, over my tank. The trick is to wrap your lungs like sausages and immediately start running when you get out the door. If you do a little walking first in the winter, you are cooling down rather than warming up.

I am a Boston runner, with asthma and weekly do outdoor long runs in the 10-15 mile range and this works for me.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Winter hiker here. Merino wool is your friend in the cold. Last winter I missed only two days due to cold - both had wind chills below 0F.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I mix and match layers depending on the degree of cold. Start with short sleeve tech shirt, long sleeve tech shirt, or under armour mock neck. On top of that a long sleeve shirt, cold weather running top, or fleece. Winter running tights and warm socks. Most of my cold weather shirts have thumb holes, so I don't usually need gloves until its below 30, then I'll add the gloves and the hat. If it's below 20 I'll add a pair of sweats over the running tights. Below 15 and I'll add a second pair of socks. I also have a lightweight ski jacket that works really well for windy and wet weather.
    It's definitely worth the investment in a few quality pieces, and this is really a great time to buy some because of all the sales. The mock neck almost never goes on sale, but it's so versatile - under a t-shirt for "warmer" days, under a fleece or jacket for colder - that it's so worth it.