Type II diabetees

Options
Help- I was just dx with early onset Type II diabetees. I already cannot eat beef and pork. I must maintain a low sodium diet (high blood pressure). And now I have to really count carbs while cooking for a family with 3 teenagers. I have already told the boys (17 & 15) that if they want hamburgers- get a job. I am now overwhelmed and getting hungry- I am a stress eater. I guess my first step (besides the Diabetic classes I get to take next month) is change my goals to reflect less carbs. AUGHHHHHHH!!:noway:

Where is the no sugar Chocolate!

Replies

• BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    Help- I was just dx with early onset Type II diabetees. I already cannot eat beef and pork. I must maintain a low sodium diet (high blood pressure). And now I have to really count carbs while cooking for a family with 3 teenagers. I have already told the boys (17 & 15) that if they want hamburgers- get a job. I am now overwhelmed and getting hungry- I am a stress eater. I guess my first step (besides the Diabetic classes I get to take next month) is change my goals to reflect less carbs. AUGHHHHHHH!!:noway:

• BlazinEmerald
    Options
    LJ , hunny you can still have carbs ya just watch them. Im sure your already eatting complex carb like whole wheat or multi grain. Diabetic diet usually follows as such 1 carb for breakfast example: 1 cup cereal, 1 slice bread etc.. 2 carbs for lunch - so you can still have a sandwich if thats what you like and 1 carb for dinner - bread, roll , rice, potato... diabetics are set up on the same schedule 3 meals 3 snacks per day. Dont get discouraged , if anything a diabetic diet will help you lose MORE. I was diabetic during pregnancy and grew up with 2 diabetic grandmothers. This is typically how my day went:

Breakfast
    1 cup cheerios
    Half an apple

Snack
    half apple
    Natural Peanut butter (less sugar)

Lunch
    Sandwich - meat cheese , lettuce tomato, mustard all the good stuff
    pickles
    OR another 1/2 of a fruit

Snack
    the other half of fruit

Supper
    Normal supper with protien , veggies and 1 carb

snack
    Cup of milk or cup of tomatoe juice/va ect..

It's not much different than what your doing now hun, Chin up it just means a healthier you for more reasons than 1.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    Options
    Thank you- This is just overwhelming since in the last month I have had to change so much already (I would love a steak!!) I know that in the long run it will be better (as I once heard: I am doing this for the grandchildren I don't have yet) BUT it was just one more change. I have my next weigh in tomorrow and I know that I lost still again this week. And I don't just mean my mind!
  • BlackBeltLJ
    Options
    By the way- I copied your "plan" and will see what I can do- But where is the chocolate!!!!
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    They have some amazing sugar free candies out there. There are even sugar free peanut butter cups ( like reese) that are TO DIE FOR! Experiment with it find what you like. Just because your diabetic doesnt mean the end of sweets.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    Options
    Especially in a household with teenagers! And I am a GS Leader with left over GS cookies. I ahve kept away from them at least.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I have been Type 2 for almost 6 years. I suggest stay from away from the sugar-free candies except in small amounts--they tend to have a laxative type effect on most people. Switch over to using Nutra-Sweet or Splenda in everything. Avoid anything with white flour usually--white bread, etc. For me, that stuff is like poison--will send my levels sky high. So will potatoes--most diabetics can't eat many at all. I can't--it's just not worth it--unless I put in plenty of exercise after eating to get my levels back down. Complex carbs, like the last post said, (wheat breat, etc.) don't seem to bother me too much. Neither does fruit anymore since I've been exercising every day. :smile:

You'll learn all you need at your class. Just remember--It's not a death sentence, just a lifestyle change.

Most important thing---exercise, exercise, exercise!

Oh, and you can have some sugar, just in small amounts and not every day.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Actually Splenda makes amazing fudge! So there is hope babydoll! Also pick up a copy of South Beach and talk with your MD about it. The South Beach program didn't start as a diet but rather was created by an actual MD who wanted to help his heart and diabetes patients feel better, get off meds, and he shares stories of actual patients who had been on meds for many years for diabetes and at the end needed little or no medication. A few people I have known have been able to do this. Plus the good news is the meals are yummy and can be shared with the family you could do phase 1 for you and add more for them from phase 3 which is just the healthy eating segment. Plus it has great deserts that use Splenda and easy to prepare full course meals. Just an opinion :)
  • BlackBeltLJ
    Options
    When my mom was dx Type II she used a lot of splenda- then my dad had a bad reaction to it so I am trying it in small portions until I know how I and my kids react. Otherwise- I know that I am just freaking out today- tomorrow will be easier with a clear head and my lunch box in hand.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I remember when I first was diagnosed. My mom died from complications from diabetes, so it was a huge blow when I first found out I had it. But like I said, it's not a death sentence. Another thing you'll find out is that it is a very individualistic disease--meaning, each diabetic reacts differently to different things; so in the beginning, you'll have to experiment with different foods and see how you react to them.

I also suggest finding a website for diabetics-lots of forums out there--for extra support if you need it and suggestions.