Smoothies????

Options
I am wanting to start making some smoothies that are filling and healthy but also taste good...Can someone give me some things they have tried that have worked out?

Replies

• bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    whatever you do mix the smoothy with banana for sweetness, protein or slim fast for replacement of protein etc, and you can mix it with sugar free cool aid
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    To make them filling, add protein and fat.

When I had smoothies (don't much anymore as I find eating food more satisfying than drinking it), I would add protein powder/gelatin (non setting) for protein, and avocado/nut butter/coconut oil/coconut etc for fats. Mine were always green - lots of vegies (spinach, kale, herbs, celery, cucumber, silverbeet etc) and some fruit - a ripe banana or a handful of berries normally. Apple is also good, or citrus...
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I normally make a protein with whatever I like :). I use 1 fruit in each mixture to add the sweetness ( Blueberry, strawberry or Pineapple) and then add some protein powder of my choice in with it along with cucumber and few other greens and then blend with a few ice cubes and a dash of Milk ( organic, soy, almond, whatever works :) ) and that is my smoothies.
  • KayNowayJose
    KayNowayJose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do greek yogurt, ice, either strawberries/blackberries, almonds, spinach, lemon juice, lots of chia seeds, a tad of dark chocolate and if I'm feeling spunky, a touch of chocolate redi whip. Oh, and shredded unsweetened coconut.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    We usually just do frozen fruits and a banana (orange juice for liquid), but reading the above replies made me think I could add a scoop or two of my vanilla protein powder and it would probably taste really good. And have the protein, too!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I do .. baby carrots, yogourt, flax seed (must be ground), banana, and frozen berries.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    We usually just do frozen fruits and a banana (orange juice for liquid), but reading the above replies made me think I could add a scoop or two of my vanilla protein powder and it would probably taste really good. And have the protein, too!

Banana, vanilla protein, water instead of OJ, but add some nut butter....ohhhh yum! :) (chuck in some spinach for extra vegies)
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Finding filling smoothies has been a challenge for me. I've found three ingredients that make a big difference: 1) frozen mixed berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry combo); 2) half of a small avocado; 3) 1/2 to 1 cup of 0% Greek yogurt.

The berries are fiber-filled but low calorie…
    The avocado is high in healthy fats…
    The yogurt is high in protein, low fat, low carb.
    So, here are several things to try that should fit into almost any eating plan—given the various macronutrient balances.

Good luck :-)

P.S.- I don't usually have the avocado and yogurt together, but either works well with berries.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    after you make the smoothies you can also put it in the freezer, chop it up and have icecream
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    my mid-morning snack, between g breakfast and lunch, is a smoothie and tis delicious and filling

10 raspberries
    12 blueberries
    2 small strawberries
    1 small banana
    1/4 avocado
    6 red grapes
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    1 banana (the riper the better)
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1-3 cups of spinach leaves
    1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
    1/2-3/4 cup skim milk
  • pa4489
    Options
    Do you blend all this in a blender for a smoothie?
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Bananas (make sure they are ripe)
    Dates (THIS WILL SWEETEN YOUR SMOOTHIE NATURALLY)
    Spinach (THIS IS YOUR PROTEIN YOU DONT NEED POWDERS)
    Coconut water

One of my favorites is
    - Fresh squeezed OJ
    - Bananas
    - Organic Frozen Pineapples
    - Organic Frozen mangoes
    - Spinach

I never use dairy or powders. The spinach (or kale) will give you the protein you need. The fruits will give you the energy you need. I have a smoothie every single day!
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    At my house there are smoothies made daily. I actually don't have a blender and instead use an immerse hand blender (I think that's what it is called). Anyways I use my hand blender with a nice mixing cup.

Here are a few that we make at home:

1. Almond milk (unsweetened)
    Banana
    Organic peanut butter (unsweetened, unsalted)/Organic Almond butter (unsweetened)
    Flax seeds
    Cocoa nibs
    Protein powder
    Fiber powder (sometimes)
    Fresh Kale/Frozen spinach
    Spirulina powder
    Frozen mango
    Frozen blueberries

The mango and the blueberries change - sometimes it is frozen strawberries, frozen peaches, frozen sweet cherries, frozen raspberries, or apples, grapes. Dates are a good additive too sometimes - but only a couple.

For those who don't like to have anything nutty in their drink (I personally don't like to drink any kind of nut butter) I do this one:

2. Almond Milk (unsweetened)/ or Kefir (Plain)/ or Water
    Banana
    Protein powder
    Fiber powder (sometimes and usually only about half a scoop/serving)
    Fresh Kale/ or frozen spinach
    Spirulina powder
    Frozen Strawberries
    Frozen blueberries
    Sweet Cherries

Again, I often switch out the berries to other things like mango, peaches, raspberries, etc. I do like the sweet cherries though (just a few) to help fight against the bitter kale. There are lots of options out there - the best thing you can do is add some green to your shakes, some protein to your shakes and measure everything (believe it or not although smoothies can be healthy, they can also pack a butt load of calories in it.

Oh yes, by the ways I do not use whey protein powder - I personally prefer either Raw Protein (Garden of Life Brand) / Sun Warrior (Brown Rice Protein) or Vega One.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    All of my smoothies have protein powder, unsweetened almond milk (I can't have a lot of dairy milk), and a banana.

After that it's a free for all. It really depends on my macros.

Nut butter, avocado, and greek yogurt (I can eat all other dairy) if I am low on fat.

Berries, juice, spinach, kale, other greens if I am low on carbs or calcium.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do you blend all this in a blender for a smoothie?

If you have a juicer and like greens in your smoothie I find it easier to juice those and then blend it with the things like the banana and protein powder.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Finding filling smoothies has been a challenge for me. I've found three ingredients that make a big difference: 1) frozen mixed berries (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry combo); 2) half of a small avocado; 3) 1/2 to 1 cup of 0% Greek yogurt.

The berries are fiber-filled but low calorie…
    The avocado is high in healthy fats…
    The yogurt is high in protein, low fat, low carb.
    So, here are several things to try that should fit into almost any eating plan—given the various macronutrient balances.

Good luck :-)

P.S.- I don't usually have the avocado and yogurt together, but either works well with berries.

I drink smoothies and I eat avocado, but I never thought about putting avocado in my smoothie. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks!
  • MyIdaho54
    MyIdaho54 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In for the info, had not tried smoothies before
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Bananas (make sure they are ripe)
    Dates (THIS WILL SWEETEN YOUR SMOOTHIE NATURALLY)
    Spinach (THIS IS YOUR PROTEIN YOU DONT NEED POWDERS)
    Coconut water

One of my favorites is
    - Fresh squeezed OJ
    - Bananas
    - Organic Frozen Pineapples
    - Organic Frozen mangoes
    - Spinach

I never use dairy or powders. The spinach (or kale) will give you the protein you need. The fruits will give you the energy you need. I have a smoothie every single day!

You would have to have a smoothie with 1kg spinach to get the same protein as a serve of whey.
  • minexo
    Options
    Frozen Blueberries
    Banana
    Honey/agave nectar
    Mint
    Soya/Almond milk

You could also add spinach and flaxseed to it, if you wanted.