Steak ideas for tonight please

Options
pyrowill
pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
Hey guys,

Cooking missus a steak tonight ( and myself obviously). Any good recipes? I was thinking like a steak with sautee potatoes and veg maybe asparagus and beans or something. However, I rarely cook steak, and when I do I just put salt and pepper on it and cook it. Something thats really not very imaginative. Any good ideas for a sauce or anything to add to it? Or a twist on the meal etc. Today should be reasonably good calorie wise so I'm fine for up to like 800/900.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, I'm thinking something along the lines of this
http://foodlovelifeexperiment.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/vday-steak-dinner.jpg

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you get a good steak it doesn't need much more than salt n pepper. Maybe a little garlic but that's because I'm a garlic freak. Serve with roasted asparagus covered in parmesan, and a sweet potato or garlic mash.

Or get a nice tenderloin wrap in bacon you can't go wrong!
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    They have a lot of nice marinades at the store. My aunt always just used Italian Dressing as her marinade. Her steaks were awesome. I usually just cook mine and then put some butter on it with salt and pepper. It's like adding insult to injury if you think about it....I milked you and made this delicious butter to put on your cooked flesh.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    garlic mushroom sauce....I cook mushrooms down in a pan, add finely chopped garlic and cook. add coconut milk, and thyme sprigs, salt (or coconut aminos..or something like soy/Worcestershire sauce if you use it). simmer it down til it thickens. great over steak and mash and steamed greens.

or I love a steak, simply seasoned and cooked, with sweet potato chips, a salad, and homemade mayo.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    How about chimchurri sauce to go with your steak for an Argentinian twist? It can be made in advance so doesn't add any last minute stress.

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/chimichurri.htm

I would also suggest roasting the asparagus.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oven-roasted-asparagus/
  • pyrowill
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say, don't like mushrooms ;)
  • pyrowill
    Options
    How about chimchurri sauce to go with your steak for an Argentinian twist? It can be made in advance so doesn't add any last minute stress.

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/saladssidedishes/r/chimichurri.htm

I would also suggest roasting the asparagus.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oven-roasted-asparagus/

Hmm interesting about the Argentine twist....not sure if its what I had in mind but looks tempting.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Filet Mignon with Red Wine Sauce Recipe
    Prep time: 10 minutesCook time: 20 minutesYield: Serves 2-4.
    As with any recipe that calls for a substantial amount of wine, use a wine that you enjoy drinking. The sauce in this recipe is just a concentrated version of the wine with some butter and pan juices. So, if you don't like the wine to start, it will not make a good sauce. Pick a wine you like.

INGREDIENTS
    2-4 filet mignon steaks, 1 to 2 inches thick*
    Salt
    Canola or grape seed oil
    3-4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
    2 cups full bodied red wine (we used a favorite Zinfandel)
    Black pepper to taste
    *If you have thicker steaks, you can butterfly them and cook on the stovetop as directed here, or you can sear them on the stovetop and finish them in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes or more, until the center of the steaks are done to your liking.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    my dad bbqs steak from frozen and it comes out amazeballs, just some salt and pepper. I like it with mustard.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Cooked up a nice New York strip with a lobster tail last night. Nothing more than salt and pepper and a cast iron pan.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted fillet steak with port, mustard & caramelised onions......

1 or 2 large onions
    olive oil
    steaks per person
    8 tablespoons port
    2 level tablespoons of brown sugar
    1 tablespoon whole grain mustard

Heat a dry frying pan, rub olive oil on steaks and very quickly brown/seal steaks without cooking through. Put steaks to one side to cool.

Slice onions and put in a large roasting pan in the oven 200C (fan) 220C (conventional) with 1 or 2 tbsp of olive oil and the brown sugar.
    Cook for about 20 - 25 mins stirring regularly until onions golden brown & caramelised (not burnt!)

Mix port & mustard. Place steaks on top of onions and pour over the port & mustard. (Put any juices from the steaks in the roasting pan too.)

Put back in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes depending how rare you like your steaks.

Potato mash goes well with this.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I make a simple wine sauce. After you fry your steak and it is resting put some thinly sliced onions in the fat that remains behind. Add some red wine to deglaze and then a little more as the onions fry and maybe a spoonful of Dijon mustard or a little balsamic vinegar or pomegranate molasses if you have some on hand. then add some beef broth.

I like some bitter greens such as sautéed arugula or rapini. mustard greens bok choy or steamed and sautéed Chinese broccoli is also good.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say, don't like mushrooms ;)

that's ok....ill eat yours for you :) I eat over 1kg of them a week!
  • nofearbebravelive
    Options
    Steak with a Balsamic Reduction (this is my most favorite steak in the world)

2 steaks (the recipe calls for rib-eye but I hate them, I use filet mignons or New York Strip, whatever you have is fine)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp butter
    salt
    pepper
    1/2 cup GOOD balsamic vinegar (the quality matters for this part)

Rinse and pat dry (very dry) your steaks, sprinkle with salt and black pepper.

Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet until melted and just starting to sizzle (don't let it burn at all, keep your eyes on it). Once the fat is hot add the steaks on medium -high with the lid off for about 3-5 minutes, listen for the sound, there will be a sound change when the searing is done (if your steaks are thin watch this carefully, you only want to sear not cook through), once seared, turn the heat down to medium low and partially cover with a lid to let steam out, cook for 4-6 minutes depending on thickness (again thin steaks are different and just watch it) Once one side is done, repeat with the other (these timings are for at least a 1" thick steak at medium-well) Once the steak is cooked put them on a plate to the side and tent with foil.

Turn heat back on under skillet and add the vinegar, it will steam and sizzle (so have ventilation or your lungs will burn) deglaze the pan by scraping the yummy bits off the bottom while the vinegar comes to a full simmer, once simmering, reduce heat and let reduce by half (this will take less than ten minutes), the vinegar should coat a spoon when done, it will be syrupy. Once this is done turn off heat and add the other tbsp of butter and gently stir that around until it melts, let this sit for about five minutes to thicken up.

Put the steaks on their serving plates and plate any sides you are having as well, drizzle the sauce over the steak and serve. I love this sauce so much, I make extra and eat it on roasted potatoes or really anything, dip your bread in it, it is so good.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    Bearnaise sauce is a classic addition to steak. However it does introduce a lot of extra last minute timing issues to the meal prep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/steakwithbearnaisesa_74876
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Can never go wrong with Steak Au Poivre.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My go to is a red wine reduction. You could do a compound butter over the top. Like green herbs, maybe blue cheese? I tend to serve steak with roasted potatoes or mashed plus a roasted green veg like broccoli or asparagus. Sauteed spinach would be a good choice too.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ditto on SUPERIOR QUALITY STEAK + salt & pepper + cast iron pan (preheated in screaming hot oven). Save the sauces & cream dressings for the sides. And don't forget to let the steaks rest for 3-5 minutes.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Try this…
    I use a cast iron grill pan when I can’t cook on the grill.
    Put a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil in the pan, I add sprigs of fresh Rosemary, fresh Tarragon and Kosher salt and whatever else smells good at the time.( Maybe some finely shaved garlic but I don’t do it often as it sometimes is overpowering.)
    Heat the pan and place the steaks in it and cover the pan, the lid lets the steam from the seasonings come back down on top of the meat and more evenly season it. Turn the steak once, sometimes I then place the herbs on top of the steak and maybe spoon some of the drippings on the meat.
    I cook with temperature not time so when it’s getting close I place a temp probe into it and when it hits 115-117degF I take it out of the pan and let it rest for 3-5 minutes. (Medium rare ish)
    Enjoy…

Edit: I forgot to mention that a lot of time I use baked or mashed sweet potatoes as a side dish and if I'm feeling especially frisky I break open some green beans that I canned and fix those also!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Marinade steak in nandos sauce.

Thinly slice onions, an array of colored bell peppers (yellow, red, green), tomatoes, corn, whatever. Lightly cook them (or more, personally I don't like my veggies too cooked), take out, and while the pan is still hot add the steak minus any sauce. I generally cut mine in thick strips because I like it rare.

Or steak with salt, pepper, garlic, and a jacket potato. Always a win!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If using a grill you can get some hickory smoking off in the corner. Presoak the chips, put them in a short can without a top, like a tuna can and let them smoke while you cook the steaks. Adds another element to it. My brother in law is famous for making steaks, he marinates them for 6 hours in worschestershire, a little liquid smoke, lots and lots of garlic and black pepper and salt. He has his own rub/seasoning too. There are lots of dry rubs available at the store that would be good to add. I like my steak rare. To go with it.. sauteed onions, roasted garlic (appetizer), the asparagus.. baked rolled in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, corn on the cob.. on the grill.. the smoke is good on them too. Presoak the corn in water so the husks don't light up... put them off to the side from the time you light it to when the steaks are done.