gym....

Options
Does anyone recommend Planet Fitness?????

Replies

• bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Depends on your other options and gym amenities. I thought they were a bit pricey, but I have a few other gym options close by. The one I go to has just as many free weights and machines and is between 1/2-1/3 the price with no contract...

What benefits do you see in PF that are not available from other gyms in your area? If it is price, will they match?
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Too big and fancy for my taste. I find that in those large gym companies they always try to sell something to you. Can get pretty annoying. I like private little gyms, maybe a little bit dirty and smaller, not so comfortable. But not so crowded either. But that's just preference. You can get good workout in all of them.
  • TX_Mike
    Options
    I've been a member of Planet Fitness for a couple of years now. For $10 a month, I don't think it's such a bad deal. It depends on what you are specifically looking for in a gym. Mine has a lot of cardio equipment and a decent amount of machines. Downsides are a small free weight area with only dumbbells and weighted bars and it can get crowded later in the day. I would recommend thinking about what you want from a gym and then touring a PF around the time you are planning to schedule your workouts. That way you can see what equipment is being used and how crowded the gym is. While the price, with no contract, is a nice deal, you might be happier paying a little more for a different gym.

Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to do. Planet Fitness does not work for me as any PF I've ever been to is seriously lacking in barbells and other free weights and they generally don't allow you to do Olympic lifts and don't have a power rack or Olympic platform or anything like that.

If you just need cardio machines and resistance machines then PF is fine...if you actually want to lift then PF is quite lacking.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've used planet fitness for years.. but I can tell I may "outgrow" it based on the equipment they offer. I'm lucky that my location actually has a free weight section and two squat racks. Many locations are doing away with the free weights. It's relatively cheap, I pay $20 a month for my Black Card, I think the white card runs about $10.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I belong and it works for me. Ours gets busy but I never have an issue finding a machine for cardio.

I like the 30 minute circuit and 12 minute abs.

I have heard variances on the amount of and size of the free weights. I think it can depend on the owner and what they are okay with allowing.

If you are looking to lift heavy, visit yours and inquire about that but otherwise, it is a no frills gym with plenty of cardio machines and also a good selection of weight machines if you are into that. Ours is always clean too and equipment is fixed right away if it breaks down.

PF is not pricey. It is $10 for basic membership and $20 for the black card which gets you tanning beds, the red machine and massages and allows you to bring guests. Also no contract. I just do the $10/mo because I don't need that other stuff.
  • greenhudler
    Options
    Depends on your other options and gym amenities. I thought they were a bit pricey, but I have a few other gym options close by. The one I go to has just as many free weights and machines and is between 1/2-1/3 the price with no contract...
    I've never heard someone say Planet Fitness is too expensive...how much is it where you are? Their prices are usually $10 per month for the basic amenities, no contract. Or $20 if you want all the extra stuff, and that is a contract.

OP:
    Personally I have two gym memberships. One to my local gym and one to a Planet Fitness. I did this because I don't have time to get all the way to the other gym in the mornings before work or on my lunch break, so during that time I plan to go to the PF. The one opening here has tons of free weights (more than I've heard of other locations having), squat racks, TRX, Jacobs ladder...I think it's because we live by a large military base. I'll go to the local one when I want to swim (it has an indoor and outdoor pool), need childcare while I work out in the afternoons, want to use the sauna, etc. My job has a deal with them so between my PF membership and there I'm only paying $50/month
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I've never heard someone say Planet Fitness is too expensive...how much is it where you are? Their prices are usually $10 per month for the basic amenities, no contract. Or $20 if you want all the extra stuff, and that is a contract.

My local PF quoted $30mo with annual contract and an initial startup fee. I laughed and walked out. My current gym is $10.50mo. No contract. No startup fee. Plenty of freeweights and even a few machines. I guess all PF's are not created equal??