Pole Dancing Class - Legit or Not ?

Options

Replies

• IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    Options
    Is climbing 12 feet in the air and holding onto an object upside down using just your thighs a workout? I would assume it is.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite pole videos. It displays all the athleticism required for pole without all the sterility of just a gymnastics performance, she still retains her sexiness in her show of strength.

Becca Butcher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQ6ywWIb6w
  • weber22c
    Options
    I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could find a local class. It's a great workout and it seems like it would be hilariously fun. No intention of ever stripping for a living here.
  • _NAUTILUS_
    _NAUTILUS_ Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You gotta be tough!
    pole-dancing-fail-o.gif
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    You gotta be tough!
    pole-dancing-fail-o.gif

Or don't use a cheap spring-loaded pole :wink:
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    tumblr_ln7tvo6ezH1qb0bc9o1_500.gif
  • silverraiyne
    Options

LMAO. Not sure if Sinisterly changed her profile pic before or after I posted this. Either way, it's funny :-)
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Is Pole dancing a legit workout that you can see returns from?

OR

Is it just an excuse to let out your inner stripper ?

... Discuss

I'm actually doing a beginner course now (I'm into week 3) and I can tell you straight away...it's the HARDEST physical thing I've ever done. Dead serious. I used to do latin dancing and that seemed so so easy compared to pole fitness. I burn so many calories just trying to lift my body up onto that pole.

I totally have my stripper song though...."Pour Some Sugar on Me".
  • Bucky83
    Options

LMAO. Not sure if Sinisterly changed her profile pic before or after I posted this. Either way, it's funny :-)

ROFLMAO! This is so true to me! I can't even lift myself up the pole, so I feel like I'm dancing around it more than actually being able to lift (I'm 30kg heavier than everyone else doing it, so while they can all pull themselves up, I physically can't).
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The answer is simply..yes.
  • silverraiyne
    Options

I'm actually doing a beginner course now (I'm into week 3) and I can tell you straight away...it's the HARDEST physical thing I've ever done. Dead serious. I used to do latin dancing and that seemed so so easy compared to pole fitness. I burn so many calories just trying to lift my body up onto that pole.

I totally have my stripper song though...."Pour Some Sugar on Me".
    ROFLMAO! This is so true to me! I can't even lift myself up the pole, so I feel like I'm dancing around it more than actually being able to lift (I'm 30kg heavier than everyone else doing it, so while they can all pull themselves up, I physically can't).

Congrats on starting a class. it's definitely hard but just keep at it, you'll be surprised at how quickly you gain strength. I felt the same way, I was much heavier when I started and it seemed like most of the girls in my class were so skinny and the moves came so quick to them. But I quickly lost weight, gain muscle, and kept my curves :-) Now there are moves that I can do that they're jealous of because my curves either make it easier or make it more fluid looking. Stick with it. And I love your song choice, that's one of the first songs I ever poled to :-)
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options

You'll get there! There are girls 50 pounds + heavier than me who can lift themselves up! I started with almost zero upper body strength, so I'm still working on being able to life myself up with just my arms.
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    Both. It's a lot of fun and one heck of a workout!
  • Bucky83
    Options
    Success! Last night I managed to complete the fireman spin....OFF the floor! Woohoo!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Success! Last night I managed to complete the fireman spin....OFF the floor! Woohoo!

Get it, girl!

Did my first inverted V yesterday! It's SO fun! You forget you're exercising...until you stop moving then your muscles all seize up. Gotta remember to stretch better next time.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=262709860556688&set=vb.194565390704469&type=2&theater

Watch that, and tell me it's not legit. Seriously, that girl's fitness, flexibility, and strength are amazing.
  • silverraiyne
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=262709860556688&set=vb.194565390704469&type=2&theater

Watch that, and tell me it's not legit. Seriously, that girl's fitness, flexibility, and strength are amazing.

I wish I had even a small percentage of the strength and flexibility she has. That combo she does at the end, I'm currently working on trying to do that move. I'll get one of these days :-)
  • Rokoye83
    Rokoye83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is fitness, therapy, and sexual expression all combined into a beautiful art. As a former gymnast I can say pole is just as hard as any sport! I just got my home pole and am so excited to be able to supplement my studio classes!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    It is fitness, therapy, and sexual expression all combined into a beautiful art. As a former gymnast I can say pole is just as hard as any sport! I just got my home pole and am so excited to be able to supplement my studio classes!

Same here. I've taught myself how to do my first invert! I'm getting stronger and my muscles are more defined after each session. I'm so excited. It's strength training I can actually get into.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ooh yay :) Finally found some other polers here ^__^ I adore pole dancing, and I love the challenge that comes with it - i.e. using all your muscles while still smiling and trying to make hanging off the pole with just your hands or one leg look effortless and not at all scary! ;D