How do you use your foam roller?

Options
This question stems largely from curiosity and a general interest in making better use of my foam roller (and other trigger point products). I'm curious how folks out there use their foam rollers. Do you target specific muscles that are having issues? Muscles you use more frequently (e.g., calves, hamstrings, hip flexors for cyclists)? Do you use it as a general way to gain flexibility and stay loose? Do you have a specific routine you do every day? Do you alternate areas of the body on different days?

Is there any guidance out there on the best way to fully leverage trigger point therapy? Should it be combined with something like yoga for general flexibility, plus trigger point therapy for specific problem muscles?

Curious to hear what everyone has to say!

Replies

• cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of areas I always hit. Rolling the IT band is really important because it is really hard to stretch. I also like to roll through the glutes. Laying on the roller to stretch the chest feels really great and is relaxing. If you want to see lots of techniques for using the roller, go to YouTube. There are several videos there.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    great for walls, but for corners you can't beat a paintbrush.
  • HeavyDutyDev
    HeavyDutyDev Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump