Stronglifts 5x5 question

Options
Hi,

Do I have to warm up before I start the workout? Maybe 30 mins of running or something? Also, do I need to do any stretches after the warm up before I start the lifts? Do I need to stretch at the end of the lifting?

Replies

• haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run for 30 minutes! You can warm up using a lighter weight for squats, eg bodyweight squats, goblet dquats with a dumbbell, or a lighter bar

You don't need to do any stretches, but I think it helps a lot. There some stuff to read through here, it's very quick
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1144247-dynamic-stretching-routine-recommendations-question

You can do the same stretching routine for your recovery or you can do something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFOBBuonV8

I am doing a lot of gymnastic work at the moment for my mobility which is about 30 minutes after training and an hour on non training days. No you don`t need to spend an hour stretching, I just find it very relaxing. Most people don`t like stretching because it hurts but you need to develop a goal. Personally, I do it before bed in darkness and with a playlist of music I find calming.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Do not do static stretching or cardio before a strength workout.

Your warmup will consist of warmup sets once the weight gets heavy. If you just started stronglifts, the weight is not heavy. Just start your workout.
  • nastyk57
    Options
    do a light jog followed by some mobility work
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I run about 5 minutes to warm up. Really anything beyond that is overkill, since your focus on that routine is the weights workout
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my warm up is usually a quarter mile run and some dynamic stretching, especially for shoulders, hamstrings and hips. plus now that i'm close to weights that are challenging, i do a warm up set that 50% of my workout weight