Running in the rain

Options
Howdy you all!

I just watched a documentary on obesity and feel the need to go running. However it's raining and 40 degrees. No lightening. I'm just getting over a cold.

So I want to prep myself for running outside in rain. What do I need to wear, any tips, etc for running in rain/cold temps?

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I love love love running in the rain...unfortunately my ipod does not. Wear a poncho and put a baggie around the ipod and you should be fine. If its lightning outside ditch the ipod.

Wear a pair of running shoes you don't care for because they will take a day or two to dry.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I waterproof running shirt
  • triskaidekaphile13
    Options
    It doesn't sound like running straight after a cold in the rain might be the best plan but the heart wants, what the heart wants. I wear goretex trail running shoes when I run in the rain. I wear long tights and have them zipped right down so my merino socks don't get soaked. I wear a light waterproof/windproof jacket and a knitted headband to keep my fringe from dripping into my eyes. Make sure you dry off as soon as you get indoors as sweat and cold and being damp can make you cool down too fast.
  • faithfirst
    faithfirst Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love to run in the rain... cold or not
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I just wear my running gear, I figure I'm going to get wet either by sweat or rainwater - what's the difference really :)

I would advise a nice wicking under-layer though, makes everything chafe less :bigsmile:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I just saw that you are up north. I think its really cold now, you may want to ditch the rain run.
  • kathyflannery129
    kathyflannery129 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    love a good run in the rain.....
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You....go outside and...run. Just don't take an umbrella.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to postpone my run till I get completely over this cold and invest in some rain/cold approved running gear. I think I was just shocked by the documentary and needed to move. Quite an eye opener about being stationary. I'm going to do some plyometrics or cardio x. I hate Mr Horton and remaining in the same place but I think I will settle. Hey, the point is I do something right?
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I'll run in the rain unless it's a heavy downpour -- I usually wear running tights, a tech shirt, and a North Face running jacket over it -- I usually don't have socks on so feet get wet but so would the socks if I wore them. Remember to protect any electronics you are carrying -- I have a Nike + watch that is OK in the rain and I put my ipod or iphone (depending on which I carry) in a pocket in a runners belt.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. Had a nice run today, it was 42 degrees. Monday it will be 11 degrees. I am going to give it a try but it probably wont be fun. I live in Chicago.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No cottons, unless you want to feel like you're wearing a wet towel and chafe too.

Try to wear technical fabrics, and minimal amounts of any clothing altogether. And obviously, leave non-water resistant gadgets at home. Running in the rain/snow is a very liberating feeling :)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I quite like to run in the rain. But not if it's raining sideways kind of rain. And I'm usually better at starting off when when it's only spitting, then if the heavens open a bit into the run then I'm all good with it.
    I have 2 pairs of runners, so i can always swap them out if they need to dry. i wear running clothes so that even when i'm drenched, i dont chafe.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    If its lightning outside ditch the ipod.

NEVER run during a lightning storm!
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    So let me ask you guys a new one as I'm doing some research.

Are compression leggings and running tights the same thing?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So let me ask you guys a new one as I'm doing some research.

Are compression leggings and running tights the same thing?

Not all running tights are compression leggings, but all compression leggings are tights :)

I wear cold weather tights, and they have some give to them and they don't feel like a second skin. They are thermo-tights that I wear in high wind situations when warm-ups would flap around too much.

Compression leggings do just that - compress, and they fit like a second skin. They might give you a slight boost in warmth, but they are primarily designed to help manage bloodflow and muscle recovery. My jury is still out regarding their effectiveness, but I know a lot of people who swear by them.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    "If it ain't raining, it ain't training" - my drill sergeant in basic training, 1989.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Smart to stay inside considering you have a cold. I also agree with the person who said don't run at all if it's lightning.

First time I ran in the rain I had on a cotton t-shirt that weighed about 15 pounds by the time I got home. Learned after that to wear tech shirts/jackets. I also have a lightweight running hat with a brim - it doesn't necessarily keep my head dry because it's designed to breathe, but it keeps the rain off my face (and specifically off my glasses so I can see). When I get home I loosen the laces and open my shoes up as much as possible to dry, and if they're super wet I'll pull out the insoles. If they're really wet it will take a couple days for them to dry out totally.