polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat

Options
I logged a serving of pistachios to myfitnesspal. It tells me that polyunsaturated (4g) and monounsaturated (7g)fats are in the negative value. I thought these fats were good for you? Can anybody enlighten me?

Replies

• nacbrie
    nacbrie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should definitely include polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats in your diet! For some reason, MFP does not provide a target amount of these fats. The American Heart Association doesn't provide specific daily targets, but suggests that you should limit total fat intake to 25—30% of calories, saturated fat to 7% of total calories (about 20-30% of your fat intake), and that the remainder of your fat intake should be monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, and vegetable oils. Source: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp
  • sbrooksie75
    Options
    Whenever I eat avocado my monounsaturated fats go into the red! My fitness pal needs to fix this issue bc these fats are commonly recognized as healthy fats! Does anyone agree or disagree?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat avocado my monounsaturated fats go into the red! My fitness pal needs to fix this issue bc these fats are commonly recognized as healthy fats! Does anyone agree or disagree?
    Context and dosage. Mono's should make up the largest percentage of a persons fat intake with saturated fats next then polyunsaturated..........