What is your "bounce" range?

Options
So I am getting SOOOO close to maintenance- I only want to lose about 2-3 more lbs. My weight loss has slowed considerably obviously, but I am OK with that- I consider it "sliding" into maintenance. I am currently about 5'4 and this morning I weighed in at 146. I was wondering if any of you had a weight number above and/or below your maintenance weight that either made you go, "Yikes, I need to buckle down for a few days to lose this" or "Yikes, I need to add a few calories". I don't have a low weight since my goal is on the high end of the BMI chart, but I'm thinking I don't want to go above 145, so maybe 143 would be my goal with a "bounce range" of 2 lbs for natural water weight fluctuations or the occasional day I eat over maintenance. I am only planning on weighing one time a day, in the morning. Just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if your goal wight is 145 then you should get to 140, because once you start eating at maintenance level your glycogen stores will replenish which will add about 3 to 5 pounds back to your weight…
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    if your goal wight is 145 then you should get to 140, because once you start eating at maintenance level your glycogen stores will replenish which will add about 3 to 5 pounds back to your weight…

Good point! I hadn't considered that. Thanks!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Agreed...my goal weight is 125 but I want to get to 115. That's still 10 pounds over my ideal weight. I'm a shorty. I figure I will get to 115 and see how I feel and start maintaining. This gives me a ten pound cushion.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Agreed. My weight went up 3 lbs when I started to maintain, then leveled off nicely. I think my bounce range, now that my weight is stabilized, would be about 4-5 lbs. So far, I've only seen a +/- 2 lbs fluctuation and that weight wasn't at all noticeable.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I consider my goal range to be +/- 2lbs.
    Rarely go under, when I go over for a few days I just make small adjustments.

BTW - not everyone gets the glycogen weight bounce, really depends on your eating pattern, how fast you lose the last few pounds and how fast you raise your calories from losing to maintenance levels.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested this to me as a way to take ones eyes off the scale and still maintain. Once you reach your desired weight/size pick an outfit that looks great on you (preferably cut more fitting). Once a week try on said outfit to see how it fits. Getting too snug, your slipping. Getting too lose, your still losing when you don't want to. Adjust accordingly. Mind us woman need to be cognizant of TOM and its affect on fit. Haven't tried this but plan to when I get to maintenance ;).
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

BTW - not everyone gets the glycogen weight bounce, really depends on your eating pattern, how fast you lose the last few pounds and how fast you raise your calories from losing to maintenance levels.

This is what I do as well. If my pants start to feel snug or weight begins to creep up 2#'s, it's time to take a closer look at what's been going on lately.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options

I did not experience this.

I do have a range. I consider it to be 136-140. I usually take a few things into consideration---have I been overeating or is my IBS acting up?
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My goal was 130. Then I hit it and went to the doctor (unrelated to any weight loss stuff) and found out that their scale added 4 pounds. And it's way more accurate than mine. BOO!! ;) So I am aiming 5 pounds below my goal with this fact in mind, and the point about glycogen stores.

That said, Christmas eating has put me back up so I need to get back into 'lose mode' for a month or two to level back off.

Good luck! You can do it! :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I was wondering. I can see the glycogen weight bounce happening if you lost 1-2 pounds a week, because then the jump to maintenance would be too many calories. I set my goals to lose a half a pound a week when I was left with about 15 pounds to lose, so that my jump to maintenance would only be about 200 calories. I have been in maintenance for a whole day now, so I can't report any results yet. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    My goal was 130. Then I hit it and went to the doctor (unrelated to any weight loss stuff) and found out that their scale added 4 pounds. And it's way more accurate than mine. BOO!! ;) So I am aiming 5 pounds below my goal with this fact in mind, and the point about glycogen stores.

That said, Christmas eating has put me back up so I need to get back into 'lose mode' for a month or two to level back off.

The reason we weight more on the doctor's scales is because by the time we get there we've already been up and around and eaten breakfast. I usually weigh myself in the morning, after bathroom, and before I've eaten anything. That would certainly account for a poundage difference. Weight also naturally fluctuates. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

The reason we weight more on the doctor's scales is because by the time we get there we've already been up and around and eaten breakfast. I usually weigh myself in the morning, after bathroom, and before I've eaten anything. That would certainly account for a poundage difference. Weight also naturally fluctuates. :smile:

And clothes too. I'm usually 2 lbs heavier easily, more in Winter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I ultimately hit 178 Lbs and went to maintenance...when I did so, my glycogen stores replenished and I was pretty much at 182/183 over night. I pretty much fluctuate between 180 - 185 with my 7 month average being 183. I have also had outlier days where I've been around 187 and as low as 178 again.

It is important to realize you're going to have a range and not weigh exactly XXX Lbs every day. You should monitor this over the course of weeks and months and you will know when you need to examine your diet again. Also, be mindful of how your clothes fit...they are more indicative of what is going on than what the scale says.

I've maintained my weight but I've actually lost some inches which I credit my weight lifting and body re-comp...my 34 jeans are starting to get a little baggy and my slim fit clothes are looking more like relaxed fit these days...but my weight has remained constant.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience that glycogen bounce, either. My goal weight was 135, and I typically stay around 134. I've gotten as low as 131, and gone back up to 138 (Thanksgiving!). My goal now is to stay at 130-135.
  • supergirl222
    Options
    i go up anywhere within 6 pounds, it all depends how dehydrated I am, or how much sodium i ate the day before. for a week i maintain at around 132 then go have a few drinks and am 128 the following morning, with the morning after at 134.... Its crazy. Also time of the month has a big impact on my weight as well... I am also very sensitive to sodium, especially soy sauce. (try to stay away).
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 lbs window I like to stay in. I am only newly maintaining, for now. May lose a few extra lbs.
  • cherryblossomrose
    Options
    Someone suggested this to me as a way to take ones eyes off the scale and still maintain. Once you reach your desired weight/size pick an outfit that looks great on you (preferably cut more fitting). Once a week try on said outfit to see how it fits. Getting too snug, your slipping. Getting too lose, your still losing when you don't want to. Adjust accordingly. Mind us woman need to be cognizant of TOM and its affect on fit. Haven't tried this but plan to when I get to maintenance ;).

This sounds like excellent advice. Will try it out. Thanks.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have a three pound maintenance window and it's been working out well for me.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    It's okay to reevaluate and figure out a 'range' :) My final goal ended up being 125 lbs. I got as low as 123, and currently about 128.