hr for max fat burn

Options
Ok im 54 yr old male and I usually exercise 7 days a week...most times my hr is between 125 to 137....now I read that if I was to keep my hr lower more bun would be from fat...but ive also read exercising at higher hr burned more calories for a longer period of time ???

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Worrying about how much fat we burn during cardio is about as useful as worrying about how much muscle is built during weight training.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ok im 54 yr old male and I usually exercise 7 days a week...most times my hr is between 125 to 137....now I read that if I was to keep my hr lower more bun would be from fat...but ive also read exercising at higher hr burned more calories for a longer period of time ???

HR zones are wildly inaccurate, but even assuming you are at the correct "fat burning zone", the intensity is so low that overall you burn a low amount of calories. So even though there is a higher percentage of fat calories being burned, the number is still low.
    Working out at a higher intensity may have a lower percentage of fat calories,however, far more overall calories are burned, so the number ends up higher.

TL;DR - dont' obsess about HR zones.