Big events approaching, I don't want to be one of them

Options
Hello all,

Like most people, I am wanting to start the New Year fresh and finally get back into shape and stay there. This is not just a New Year's resolution. I have two major events happening this year and I am going to use those as some of my motivating factors to start living a more healthy life.

Event #1........I turn 40 in June. I'm not scared of this age at all. In fact, I feel and act quite young (maybe that's not such a good thing lol).
However, I would like to finally lose this weight that I have slowly put back on so I can look and feel good.

Event #2.......My wife and I will be expecting our first baby together at the end of May. We both have two children each from previous marriages, so this is our first child together, and I would like to be a healthier person so that I can be around for a long time for my children.

So with that being said, starting Monday I am going to begin a diet and exercise routine. Monday is the first day that I will no longer be working two jobs or any night shifts, so my employment will no longer be an excuse for me when it comes to not going to the gym.

I am 6'1 and currently 240 lbs, which equals the heaviest I have ever weighed. When I hit that mark before, I did Weight Watchers and exercised and was able to drop from 240 to 188, so I know that I can achieve it again, even if the first time was quite a few years ago.

So, my plan for next week is to take my lunch every day to work and try to completely eliminate sodas from my diet. Since I will no longer be working nights, maybe I can actually get some sleep and be able to avoid needing so much caffeine. And I am going to go to the gym everyday for cardio. Eventually I will incorporate some weights into the routine, but not week one. Week one will consist of me trying to get my body and mind acclimated to going to the gym.

So, that's my story for now. Good luck to everyone else that is either beginning or continuing their weight loss journey, and maybe I will see you guys around on this site! :tongue:

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    May I suggest a slightly easier approach that worked for me. I started one part of the equation. The most difficult part for me... exercise. As I got stronger and got more of an exercise routine going I wanted to eat healthier. Just with exercise and not changing my diet I lost 2 pounds a month the first 3 months. By the end of the 3rd month I was exercising 4 days a week and I just naturally wanted to eat healthier. I start gradually making better healthier food choices, because I had worked my *kitten* off exercising that day and didn't want to ruin the hard work with unhealthy food.

Bringing your lunch excellent idea and eliminating sodas fantastic idea. I temporarily eliminated diet soda from my diet and within 2 weeks I couldn't believe how much calmer my drive for carbs and candy was. I never went back. I drank water for a full year and started delving into tea in January. Now I love my tea in addition to water. When I get a carbonation craving I get a carbonated water with lime. I find it refreshing. Never thought I'd ever drink something like that.

So, make exercise a priority. No mamby pamby "oh I walked around the block" exercise either. Treat yourself to a heart rate monitor and really put some effort into it. Make a "calories burned" goal when you exercise. I won't stop until I've hit a minimum of 500 burned. I can often do that in an hour. Get some hard pumping music and go for it and enjoy those kids of yours. You'll be feeling so much better and a tad bit righteous with exercise under your belt.
  • tleathers
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, kingscrown! I am definitely going to make exercise a priority, and I will have to check out getting a heart monitor.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

When you have a chance and start getting into your routine, I would suggest having a read of this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options

When you have a chance and start getting into your routine, I would suggest having a read of this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

+1
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

+1

+2

I get not wanting to do too much too soon, and I think it's smart to ease into a routine (lots of people burn out or get injured by doing too much too soon). But, I can tell you that I've never heard anyone say "I wish I started lifting later". By all means, take it slow and make changes as you feel comfortable, but I'd try to make some sort of a loose time table of when you intend to bring strength training in if you haven't already.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I honestly started with water only (1 gallon per day) and gave up coffee, diet cola and beer. Then I switched from 3 large meals per day to 4 smaller meals per day at the same time, counted calories. Then I introduced Intermittent Fasting to the equation, starting from a 16/8 schedule to a 20/4 schedule. Last but not least, I added a minimum of 30 minutes per day of walking. Results: Started on December 4th 2013, had a major Gout attack that landed me in the emergency room. 25 days later, I dropped 17 lbs. No starvation at 1800 calories per day. And no hunger pangs. I'm not here to debate the method I use, but I'm just here to share with everyone that it works for me.