New Year goals?

Options
I don't believe we should wait until New Year's Day to start getting in shape. If you start TODAY you will be one step closer :) I started in Oct of 2012 and never regretted it! I often had resolutions to "get in shape", but like many people I never really acted on them longer than a month or 2 :/ Then I had an idea....

I stay much more focused when I have smaller challenges or goals, than simply one big resolution. Challenges/goals keep me focused and seem much more achievable. And this way even if I didn't achieve everything on my list, I got a lot closer than with any of my 'resolutions'.

My 2013 'challenges/ goals' included:
Anniversary challenge- lose 10 lbs by jan 5 (obviously wasn't waiting till jan 1st! haha)
"I love ME" challenge- lose 6 lbs by Feb 14
April Fools/Easter challenge- lose 5lbs by April 1
Comfy in a bikini!- June 1
New Me!- to be at my final goal weight by Aug 1st when I moved to a new province.
(Completing my first challenge made me closer to 'being in shape' than any of my resolutions had lol).

So what are YOUR goals for 2014?? I am at maintenance now so I need to switch my focus to fitness instead of weight loss. I want to restart and FINISH C25K and 30DS! Also I am toying with the idea of throwing a 5km race in there? This would be HUGE considering my asthma.

Good luck everyone and stay focused!! It IS possible! :)

Replies

• albloomfield60
    Options
    My goal is to keep on keeping on. I feel each day I'm on this diet the closer I am to making this a way of life.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad that I didn't wait until New Year's to start losing. I had been gaining weight and would have likely kept gaining throughout December had I not started reducing my food intake. Now I can happily say that I've lost 6 lbs instead of having gained another 10.

I'd like to lose another 32 lbs, but I prefer to break this up into smaller goals. My next big goal is to be in the low 160s (below 165). Goal after that is to be in the 150s, which I hope to reach sometime in January. I know that I will feel better with each 5 lbs lost so it makes sense to make these mini goals. I hope to be down to 135 by June. And if I can keep going, 125 would be great but I won't eat any less to get there. If I stop losing at 135 I'll be happy enough.

Another goal of mine is to start exercising in January. 4 days per week. Something sustainable and I will start slow. Eventually I want to be doing both cardio and resistance training.

Other non health related goals include enrolling in school and finding a new job.

Let's do this!!!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    OP, congratulations on making it to maintenance! I just recently entered that stage, myself. Good luck with C25K and 30DS -- I hope you get to run that 5K!

Here are mine:

1. Keep maintaining (continue my healthy eating and exercise habits), and ditch my "lifelong yo-yo" syndrome.
    2. Return to running (already begun) and continue training for a 5K -- I've registered for one in March. Also just joined the January Running Challenge thread here and set a goal of running 25 miles for the month.
    3. Repeat the 9/11 Memorial Fitness Challenge (climbing 110 flights of stairs), which I did this past September.
    4. "Reach" the Republic of Nauru in my Virtual Ride Around the Equator by the end of 2014. That would mean I've crossed the 8,000-mile mark on my mini-bike since Sept. 1, 2012. (I'm currently at 4591.25.)
    5. Keep taking MOOCs.
    6. Keep on with leisure reading and creative pursuits.
    7. Carpe diem.
  • MissEzandera
    Options
    My goal is to loose a total of 45lbs, but it's split into 5 Markers:

13 lbs by 3/29, which will put be just at the highest "normal" bmi
    20 lbs by my 20th Birthday, 5/19 (getting a new bathing suit for this one)
    26 lbs by 6/28, which will put me at the 75th percentile of "normal" bmi (buying my first pair of yoga pants here)
    35 lbs by 9/27, which will put me exactly in the middle of "normal" bmi
    45 lbs by 12/27, which will put me at the 25th percentile of "normal" bmi

I feel like I'm so awesome in other areas of my life, there is no excuse for me to *not* be able to do this. I just need to psych myself up...

I might stop off at my 4th marker, but I'll figure that out when I get there...
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I definitely think mini goals are the way to go! :) 5lbs seems much more achievable than 50 and those 5 lbs add up!! :D Good luck everyone on your goals! I am proud of what I have accomplished this year both physically and in my personal life (got engaged, big move, and returned to university for 2nd degree!).

I am excited for 2014 to start so I can continue with my future and everything I hope to accomplish :D
  • SuperWhoLock24601
    SuperWhoLock24601 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Mine is small but important to me - no more soda. I was soda free from 2006-2009 and slipped up. I am gonna get that obstacle out of the way first.
  • kate21797
    kate21797 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    - drink much more water
    - Hit my goal weight by spring break (I have 20 pounds to lose)
    - Be able to squeeze into a size 6 prom dress. Man would that make me happy!
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not normally one for New Years Resolutions, but this coming year I'd like to make a few changes

1. Lose 5kg by March - taking me to 65kg
    2. Lose a further 5kg by June - taking me to goal of 60kg
    3. Get back to 50 push ups (could do it in July this year so I know it can be done!)
    4. Fit into and buy a size AU10 pair of jeans (US6 I think)
    5. Start drinking black coffee! :)
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    1. Lose the moobs.
    2. Lose the beer gut.
    3. Run 21km.
    4. Upgrade the kayak. (Need $$$).
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Log more diligently. I think MFP is super helpful but I'm kind of off and on. Need to get better about that. And overall, I want to lose at least 40 pounds in 2014.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    Log more diligently. I think MFP is super helpful but I'm kind of off and on. Need to get better about that. And overall, I want to lose at least 40 pounds in 2014.

This logging / calorie counting scheme of doing things ONLY works for me if I am absolutely religous about logging everything, everyday.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Stay committed I'm not waiting till New Years. Just gone come keep setting my goals every month, and staying on the challenges they seem to help.
  • bjdw_1977
    Options

This logging / calorie counting scheme of doing things ONLY works for me if I am absolutely religous about logging everything, everyday.

Except I haven't done so this week because, "It's not what you do between Xmas and New Year that counts, it's what you do between New Year and Xmas".