Vitamin/Mineral deficiency question

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
I am exhausted. I have checked my potassium amount and that seems to be ok. I take vitamins. Yet I still have crawling cramps up and down my legs and neck and back. It is getting to me today. Any other deficiencies that cause that? I am dairy and gluten free.

I just want to make sure any other possible deficiencies I can make sure I get those and see what happens.

Replies

• waterdog82
    waterdog82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    maybe look into magnesium or creatine. i'm dairy free too :)
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    This may be information overload but: http://www.health911.com/cramps_(muscle)
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My running coach says dehydration can cause cramping. Are you drinking enough water??
  • dorwade
    dorwade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    About 2-3 weeks into a renewed emphasis on less food/more exercise I developed a creepy, crawly sensation in my legs. Thought somebody was brushing up against me or something and I kept looking for the bug that I was sure was on me! A visit to my family doctor ruled out anything scary like nerve damage or blood clots (I've had a DVT before!) and he suggested taking a B complex every single day. I already took a multivitamin several times per week. The explanation was that when your body is under stress (like burning 500-1000 extra calories each day!) it needs more of the B vitamins, and at the same time I was eating less so had less of these nutrients available. I headed straight to the store to buy some, took one that night after dinner, and then began taking one daily with breakfast. I haven't had another single episode, so that seems to have been the correct diagnosis. Maybe it is worth a try....
  • icujohnson
    Options
    im an rn and i would recommend that you see your doc, just to be sure. you could be working out too hard, they can also check your sodium and magnesium levels as well as other tests just to be sure your'e healthy before getting serious with weight losss and execise.
  • Eve23
    Options
    I don't think its the water. I always have a cup of ice and water with me. Possibly some of the other suggestions can help. Thank you for looking that site up. I guess I just wasn't thinking about looking it up.

It has been an ongoing thing for me. If I have any bread products at all it gets worse. Very frustrating. I am open to any ideas. I stretch several times a day.

I don't visit doctors because we have no insurance and quite frankly are just way to expensive. We are still paying on my daughters bills from hurting your leg.
  • julia5962
    Options
    If you do not take in Calcium you will have cramping and also consider B12 and folic acid since you are gluteen free. Being gluteen free and diary free a necessity or choice? Look up folic acid and the B vitamins sources in foods and what bodily functions they support
  • Eve23
    Options
    They are a necesity. I have very limited dairy that I can digest with no problems. Gluten free is just easier to say because it generally refers to most of the grains I have issues with. Allergies are my middle name it seems.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Take your pick :

potassium (even if your on the low side of normal)
    magnesium
    calcium
    all the Bs
    Iron
    Vit C
    sodium (too low)
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Vit K (too high)

sitting to long (desk work)
    wearing a tight belt or pants
    nerve impingment by the piriformis muscle
    build up of lactic acid in the muscle
    subluxation of the fibula
    not stretching the muscle enough

those tend to be the biggies...

good luck!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    D and the B complex could both do that if you're deficient. Also if its getting worse when you eat bread, you may have a gluten allergy. Look in the mirror (closely) and look at the skin under your eyes. Small white bumps that look like white-heads (but never come to a head and never go away) are a common sign of a mild gluten allergy.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Thank you ivy. That is great information. I know that I have grain allergies but have been unsure if gluten is part of that. I have been keeping my distance for quite some time and it seems to help on many fronts. And I definately have always had the under eye thing. In fact I have always had allergy eyes and often swell if I eat certain foods. That is why I believe this a deficiency problem rather than another issue.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am exhausted. I have checked my potassium amount and that seems to be ok. I take vitamins. Yet I still have crawling cramps up and down my legs and neck and back. It is getting to me today. Any other deficiencies that cause that? I am dairy and gluten free.

I just want to make sure any other possible deficiencies I can make sure I get those and see what happens.

Cramps are often an indication of lack of salt, so is exhaustion.

You are advised immediately to visit your doctor as you could have a low sodium count in your body and your electrolytes could now be crawling up the wall.

If it is low sodium, it is a very dangerous situation.

People are so obsessed with lowering their sodium nowadays that it is often forgotton that TOO low sodium in the body over a period can be life or death.

500mg of salt is the miniumum amount recommended in anybody's daily amount.
  • Eve23
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the sodium. I actually do not limit sodium because I tend to be low on that. Took double the vitamins yesterday and today and am feeling quite a bit better. I just have to remember to take them.