Underweight and "Bulking?"

Options
Well I have been underweight considerably since I was younger due to cerebral palsy and rett syndrome.

Anyway I am currently 123.0 lbs and I think a bit skinny looking still though I am not going to overdo things cause I am within acceptable BMI's

What is the top end I should gain to maintain a healthy BMI, I am assuming like 130 is my 'soft' limit. I have been up to 136 but I can't hold it for long.

What is this whole 'bulking' term used here..

Replies

• kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?

check your BMI here to find out the normal range.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Bulking is a process commonly used by an individual wishing to gain weight. Commonly used in bodybuilding (Off-Season) but will also be used by fitness enthusiast. Bulking attempts to build MUSCLE MASS
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if you have medical issues, it's a good idea to ask a medical professional who knows your medical history to recommend an ideal weight for you, rather than just reading off a BMI chart. These are based on averages and are not suitable for everyone, even before you take medical issues into account.

Regards bulking, that means gaining weight through increasing your muscle mass. You do that by lifting weights (that are heavy compared to your current level of strength), eating a calorie surplus and ensuring you get adequate amounts of protein. Do whatever muscle strengthening exercises you can, while eating around 15% more than your TDEE. You can get TDEE calculators, although bear in mind that they're based on averages and some medical issues mean that your body is burning more or less than is typical for your size, and so the calculators may not be correct for everyone. But that's the general idea, anyway. You can use the TDEE calculator as a start point re the number of calories you should eat for weight gain, and you can adjust the number based on real world results.
  • Matt24442
    Options
    how tall are you?

^