Struggling with maintenance (after 5 months of no issues)

Options
Sigh...

I joined MFP in March at 114 lbs. (I'm just shy of 5'1). More than the number on the scale, I had just gotten squishy. I was VERY careful for about a month in terms of what I ate, then just more watched my cals in vs cals out (ie I have ice cream just about every night). By the end of June/early July, I was 97lbs. I know that sounds light, but it's really not so "low" on my small frame.

Anyway, from that point through thanksgiving, my weight varied no more than a lb in either direction. Right around Thanksgiving, I gained 3 lbs (seemingly overnight). While I allowed myself to enjoy the holiday food, I tracked everything and in no way ate in excess of 10k cals more than I burned (I walk 5-6 miles 5-6 times a week).

Then, all of the sudden in mid December, I gained another 2-3 lbs. I cannot get the weight off. I wouldn't care so much about a pure number, but my stomach got all poofy. I was exploring my diet to see if I started eating anything new...I started eating oatmeal every day for breakfast in October...so anything at the end of Nov would be a huge delay in reaction (unless it can be delayed).

At any rate, has anyone experienced something similar? Work was extremely stressful during the period in which I gained, but I'm not a stress eater.

I've been sitting at 102/103 for about 3 weeks now. Again, I'm not as concerned with the number as with how I look. While I don't log it as exercise, I do core strength exercises as well. I'm hesitant to cut my cals in too much b/c I don't want to slow down my metabolism.

Any thoughts/suggestions/commiseration are appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• rachelakai2
    rachelakai2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It may be time to change up everything. You may actually need to add more calories, especially up your protein intake. Try to change your workout as well. Your body gets used to the same old thing everyday. Try to incorporate more strength training total body, 2-3 days per week. You will be surprised how much your body shape will change with a little resistance training. Just start with very light weights, bands, medicine ball etc. Good Luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a doctor or show any symptoms for menopause?
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider the gluten aspects of oatmeal? Whenever I eat too much wheat or other grains, I also get poofy in The middle. I respond better to higher lean proteins and veggies once I change my eating habits.

Everything has consequences and even though they say whole grains are good for us....they may not good for All!

Continued success as you move into the new year!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi

I had a quick glance at your food diary. Your protein seems very low. I would be a puffy marshmallow at those protein levels!
    For years I cut calories and lost weight (and muscle) I got bigger! Not heavier! Now I'm smaller and heavier with weight lifting and adequate protein (125g per day) I also believe in high nutrient fresh foods but ultimately it's the calorie counting that does it.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. All good suggestions. Will try a week with Greek yogurt for breakfast and see if that had an impact.

Re the gluten stuff. I thought that might be the case earlier this year. Oddly, I ended up in the ER at the end of June with what ended up being a very intense bout of gerd. Following that, I had an endoscopy and asked the dr to specifically look for any type of food sensitivity. None showed up.

I have my annual Gyno exam at the end of Jan, so will ask about menopause. But based on family history, it's still early (not that I could be on a diff schedule). I work out with a trainer every other week. With all the holidays, I missed 2-3 sessions so maybe that's it. I definitely feel my metabolism working differently after a workout with her.

Actually, with all the stress at work, I've probably gotten lazy with the core/strength training. Walking just clears my head. The only quiet time I have. Lol.

Thanks again for all the great input!

As an aside. While I was typing this, I was browning onions for veggie chopped liver (to serve on NYE). It's protein packed-hard boiled eggs, walnuts, green peas, and onion!
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would definitely up the protein. Aim for about 90g of protein daily (you are sitting around 1/3 of that). I would also cut the carbs down to 50-75g and try that out. It will likely deflate your midsection in a week or two. Those sensitive to gluten are often sensitive to carbs in general. Aim for whole food sources only, preferably sticking to fruits and veg (easy on the starchy veg).

If I'm feeling a bit puffy, the first thing I nix is my morning gluten-free toast. It's the only processed carb I eat, and it's the first to go.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider the gluten aspects of oatmeal? Whenever I eat too much wheat or other grains, I also get poofy in The middle. I respond better to higher lean proteins and veggies once I change my eating habits.

Everything has consequences and even though they say whole grains are good for us....they may not good for All!

Continued success as you move into the new year!

This happens to me as well. Especially in the belly. Or if my belly doesn't get poofy, it gets hard and round and cranky. I'm not positive, but I think too much milk and ice cream contributes, but I'm mostly okay with cheese. Oh, and my face gets poofy, too.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am aboard the not enough protein train. It looks to me like you are strict with portion control but eat to many carbs. I see lots of sugar in your diary, which is not necessarily bad, but but since you are feeling poofy, that is your culprit.

Try cutting sugar back and upping protein.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have had similar issues since Thanksgiving that I can attribute pretty clearly to WHAT I'm eating, not how much. For me, it's clearly water retention. I am eating out, eating with friends and family, and cooking more traditional food that I usually do.

Lots of salt. Too much fat and highly processed sugar/carbs. Not enough fiber.

I know that it is water because one day of my normal diet and I drop any weight I've gained. (I never got out of my zone anyway, but I was at the top, not the bottom of it.)

If you know you're calories are okay and you know there's no medical issue, just try a few weeks on non-holiday food and see how you do. Good luck!