More exercise isn't necessarily better

Options

Replies

• Matt24442
    Options
    But if I don't do 2 hours on the elliptical each day while eating 1200 calories how will everyone know that I'm serious this time?

Cause you're workin on your fitness man! Gettin toned up.
  • cevalid
    Options
    If I didn't work outside my home I would probably do 2 hour workouts to make up for the lack of activity during the day. On days when I work, even in my sedentary office job, I do a minimum of 10,000 steps by normal movement plus my one hour walk home. On the weekend if I'm not heading out and just doing a bit of cleaning around the house I end up at about 3000 at best.
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My two cents worth: Who cares, just do something - move.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    What about those that can't workout with high intensity...for whatever reason? It takes those people twice as long to even coming close to receiving the same benefit.

I am one of those people. Due to joint issues and another health factor I can't do high impact aerobics and even some of the low impact moves. I can't do heavy weights and have to be careful with doing ab workouts.

So I plod along with what I can do...sometimes that takes a lot of my time...so far...it has paid off.

I wish I could do it all in 30 minutes...
    Then you're one of the exceptions. As I mentioned, I said "most" people wouldn't benefit with 2-3 hours a day of exercising any more than someone who could do it with higher intensity in a shorter time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    your post is actually a bit simplistic and making a lot of assumptions. For starters not all exercises are the same 15 minutes of weights is different to 15 minutes of running which is different to 15 minutes of cycling. All burn calories at different rates and at different intensities and work muscles in a student way. Also there is the point that not everyone can work out at high intensities. Some can only do something like walking so it will take longer to have any results. Also to add not everyone exercises for weight loss or competition. I run because well I like to run. Other people do other activities because they just like it. Making these bold statements always backfires and makes the poster look a little silly I'm afraid because they/you forget one basic fact. We're not all the same
    If weight loss is the goal, it's not going to be the exercise that attains it. It's going to be how much one consumes. Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.
    As I mentioned in above post, "most" people don't have to work out for 2-3 hours a day.
    If one "likes" to go that long or is competing for an event, then that's fine. But if it's for weight loss, diet is more important.
    There's no dispute on this.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I know that over exercising is clearly unhealthy but how exactly does it hinder weight loss if more exercising is supposed to burn more calories? (I don't over exercise I'm just curious to know)
    Everything we do (including laying in bed) burns calories. The "side effect" of exercise is that it burns more calories, but isn't needed for weight loss. One of the misconceptions is that if 30 minutes is good, then an hour is better and 2 hours even better than that, but the reality is that people really don't out exercise a bad diet (there are some exceptions like Olympic athletes).

IDEA Fitness member
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What about those that can't workout with high intensity...for whatever reason? It takes those people twice as long to even coming close to receiving the same benefit.

I am one of those people. Due to joint issues and another health factor I can't do high impact aerobics and even some of the low impact moves. I can't do heavy weights and have to be careful with doing ab workouts.

So I plod along with what I can do...sometimes that takes a lot of my time...so far...it has paid off.

Then you're one of the exceptions. As I mentioned, I said "most" people wouldn't benefit with 2-3 hours a day of exercising any more than someone who could do it with higher intensity in a shorter time.

IDEA Fitness member

When I turned 61 I decided that I was tired of my body controlling me...I took charge.

Due to arthritis in my lower body I had become sedentary...which made it worse...muscles and joints became so tight and stiff that even light walking had become painful. I do a couple of hour long yoga stretching videos in the morning alternating between upper body and lower body. It has worked wonders. I continue to improve as long as I don't give in and stop doing them.

For strength training I alternate days between upper and lower body. Those sessions only last about 45 minutes each. For the upper body I use resistance bands and have worked my way up to 3 x 15...lower body I just use some simple exercises but have only made my way up to 2 x 15.

Abs are almost completely out for me due to an injury several years ago that have basically shredded my stomach muscles. Before they will even consider surgery I have to get the weight off and be in a lot better shape than I am now.

For cardio I try to use the treadmill or the rower 3 or 4 times a week for 20 to 40 minutes for endurance.

Do I hope that the exercise I do will aid in my weight loss...yes...but for me that is just a side benefit...it is so nice to be able to go up and down stairs...walk a hill....bend over and pick things up out of the floor.

I am determined that when I leave this world...people say...damn...she is in good shape for her age!

I wasn't offended and apologize if it came out that way...I just want others that might face the same hurdles that I do that no matter how much time it takes...it is worth it. It took me a long time to realize that I was worth all that effort.

Hoping that you are having a wonderful holiday.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I see overweight people at the gym everyday. They're there for 2 hours sometimes, walking, sitting on the lazy man bike that reclines, on the elliptical crawling along.

They see me hop on the treadmill and bust out 2 or 3 miles as fast as I can.
    Get about 20 minutes of lifting in and I'm done.

While I'm getting ready to leave I see them rolling their eyes at me all the time, as if I don't know what I'm doing.

If you're not pushing your body to the limit it's not going to get much results... at least that's how my body works.

Just to chime in, I started on the "lazy mans" bike. Sometimes that is all that people can do and the recumbent bike is a good starting point and works different muscles in your legs then the upright and walking. Now I am one of the people that do an hour of cardio 3 times a week and an hour of strength training 3 times a week. I dont find it to be overkill, I enjoy it and so far it has shown me results. But to call someone lazy for at least trying to get to the gym and make an effort is plain rude.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I see overweight people at the gym everyday. They're there for 2 hours sometimes, walking, sitting on the lazy man bike that reclines, on the elliptical crawling along.

While I'm getting ready to leave I see them rolling their eyes at me all the time, as if I don't know what I'm doing.

If you're not pushing your body to the limit it's not going to get much results... at least that's how my body works.

Just to chime in, I started on the "lazy mans" bike. Sometimes that is all that people can do and the recumbent bike is a good starting point and works different muscles in your legs then the upright and walking. Now I am one of the people that do an hour of cardio 3 times a week and an hour of strength training 3 times a week. I dont find it to be overkill, I enjoy it and so far it has shown me results. But to call someone lazy for at least trying to get to the gym and make an effort is plain rude.
    Interesting that he thinks these people are all watching him, too. Self-centered much?

Anyway, people need to do what works for them. I enjoy my long walks.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    people need to do what works for them

This and for whatever their goals are. I go to the gym and do 30 min. of cardio and lift for an hour sometimes more depending on what I'm doing. I work on one muscle group a day and every other day I add in legs and abs. I exercise slow and do 3 sets of 5-10 reps. It works for me and it's MY time. The gym is 30 min. away from me so that's an hour trip total. It would be a waste of my time (and gas) for me to drive that far and only do 20-30 min. of something. If I were to do that then I wouldn't even have a gym membership and would just use videos and my TM at home but that's not my goal and not what I want to do right now. I will use videos if I don't make it to the gym and sometimes I'll throw in a second cardio workout at home but it's not what I want to use as my "main" form of exercise because I want to lift weights.

How do you know they're there for 2 hours if you're only there for less than an hour? And why do you care what they're doing?:huh:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I hate to see when people (mostly new to exercising) fall into the trap of "that's what person x does, so that must be what I need to do in order to see results". We are all as different as our fingerprints.

YES!!! I think this every time someone wants to bash someone else for their dietary choices, exercise, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

As long as they are moving, they're burning calories. Not everybody is physically capable of an all-out sprint for 2-3 miles, at least not when they first start.

When I first started I could sprint for about 50-75 feet, at which time I would be ready to pass out. :blushing:
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    For some, a leisurely walk on the treadmill watching TV is for mental health and not physical health. I do my thing for a workout then sometimes I hop on a machine and just take it slow to relax...I have three kids at home that are all over me the second I walk in the door so I enjoy a little "me" time. Don't assume you know what is best for everyone.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

It took me about six months to work up to HIIT training. I started at 254lbs with herniated disk in my lower back and both knees sound like a goat chewing on a tin can. It takes time but the more you can strengthen yourself the easier it gets on your joints. You'll get there, it just takes time. GL

yeah but exercise doesnt just come in 2 flavors : low intensity and HIIT :laugh: there's a HUGE middle ground where most of your exercise should come from, especially since HIIT (it they are doing it correctly) isnt something that people should be done all year round
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

As long as they are moving, they're burning calories. Not everybody is physically capable of an all-out sprint for 2-3 miles, at least not when they first start.

no one can, not even Usain Bolt who's arguably the best sprinter in the world
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    /Me thinks a lot of people are missing the point of the OP.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Same here, I need to focus on food. I can only squeeze in a 30 minute workout during my lunch breaks, Saturdays are a little longer. Usually 3 compound lifts and that's most of my 30 minutes, sometimes I get in 10-15 minutes of cardio after.
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    If I over exercise, mainly long distance running, I get a suppressed immune system. Being sick in the summer is never fun.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    For some, a leisurely walk on the treadmill watching TV is for mental health and not physical health. I do my thing for a workout then sometimes I hop on a machine and just take it slow to relax...I have three kids at home that are all over me the second I walk in the door so I enjoy a little "me" time. Don't assume you know what is best for everyone.
    I'm not assuming, I'm opining from PM's I've gotten and observation of those who aren't just taking a "leisure" walk on the treadmill while at the gym.
    I'm there for a couple of hours in morning and then a couple in the evening (only in the morning on Sat-Sun) daily and there are a few that will do 2 hours in the morning and come back and do another hour or two in the evening. Granted some are competitive athletes or are training for an event, but there are some who are desperately trying to lose weight and their thought might be that this is what they have to do to lose it.
    If you don't care for the advice, then continue to do what you believe is right for you. This thread is aimed towards those who believe that they MAY NOT be able to lose weight without hours upon hours of exercise daily. My stance is that one doesn't have to go through long hours daily to achieve decent fitness and a decent calorie burn AS LONG AS their calorie intake is correct for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    your post is actually a bit simplistic and making a lot of assumptions. For starters not all exercises are the same 15 minutes of weights is different to 15 minutes of running which is different to 15 minutes of cycling. All burn calories at different rates and at different intensities and work muscles in a student way. Also there is the point that not everyone can work out at high intensities. Some can only do something like walking so it will take longer to have any results. Also to add not everyone exercises for weight loss or competition. I run because well I like to run. Other people do other activities because they just like it. Making these bold statements always backfires and makes the poster look a little silly I'm afraid because they/you forget one basic fact. We're not all the same
    If weight loss is the goal, it's not going to be the exercise that attains it. It's going to be how much one consumes. Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.
    As I mentioned in above post, "most" people don't have to work out for 2-3 hours a day.
    If one "likes" to go that long or is competing for an event, then that's fine. But if it's for weight loss, diet is more important.
    There's no dispute on this.

IDEA Fitness member

I was going to get huffy- then I read this... because it's much more clear and very very true.

I train for 3 hours usually- I lift- and then I go dance (for actual training- not just party zumba crap)- both of those things take about 75 minutes a pop. Sometimes less- sometimes more.

Sometimes it's only a 45 minute lift. sometimes it's only 45 minutes to work on a dance choreography- but if I had my druthers- it would be 3 hrs all the time- 5-6 days a week.

But that's not reality and it's not reality for most people- but you are absolutely right- people who just need to lose weight- and get to a more "fit" stage- do NOT need hours and hours of work.