Looking for a home remedy Detox to start the New Year

Options
Hi everyone! Does anyone have any recommendations for a home detox rather than going out and spending money on a store bought detox? I saw the apple detox online, but I don't think I can eat apples apples for 3 days. I need sustenance and I'm pretty sure I'd fail at something that deprives me like that. Plus I realize a detox will help jump start me for the new year and get back on track, but three to four days of insufficient nutrition doesn't seem like something I can do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Your body detoxes itself, which is why we poop and pee. There is no jumpstart, so set reasonable goals and be patient.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    No need to detox, your body does this all on its own. Eat at a deficit, keep hydrated, and let your body do it's thing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you want this detox to accomplish? If you're just looking to jumpstart something then I'd suggest skipping the detox and just starting a sensible diet.
  • LifeIsAClimb1993
    Options
    Every so often (like once a month) I like to do a one day water detox. It's pretty simple, all you drink is water for 24 hours. You could also include lemon water and green tea in this.

The first time I did it I thought I'd be starving, but I really wasn't. I'd recommend starting after your evening meal which you eat at, say 6pm. Then simply don't eat anything until after 6pm the next day. You spend a good chunk of the 24 hours sleeping anyway and if you treat yourself to a lie in the next morning you miss breakfast too!

Just keep busy throughout the rest of the day (maybe treat yourself and go shopping) to take your mind off the lack of food. I know that this is what I'll be doing after New Years' Eve to flush out all the toxins :P But you must drink ALOT of water to keep yourself hydrated :)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Does anyone have any recommendations for a home detox rather than going out and spending money on a store bought detox? I saw the apple detox online, but I don't think I can eat apples apples for 3 days. I need sustenance and I'm pretty sure I'd fail at something that deprives me like that. Plus I realize a detox will help jump start me for the new year and get back on track, but three to four days of insufficient nutrition doesn't seem like something I can do. Any suggestions?

I hear eating food is good. Maybe having some sort of beverage too.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    three to four days of insufficient nutrition doesn't seem like something I can do.
    Then don't do it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    but three to four days of insufficient nutrition doesn't seem like something I can do.
    Regardless of whether you can, it's not something you should do.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This won't do anything special for you, but if you are looking for a plan to follow to help with psychological boost or a way to cement your commitment and lose some water weight, this plan could work:

http://www.nutritiouslife.com/nlts/the-o2-diet-cleanse/
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the liver and kidneys are pretty effective at detoxing.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    As an alternative to a typical deprivation "detox", I'm going to plan a few days menu ahead of time full of a variety of healthy foods and drinks and without the crap. I think a little planning will go a long way to making sure we have the good choices at the ready instead of all the processed quick-serve stuff that's been around lately. Then your body can do its work naturally.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Detox by not eating anything from a box, bag, or can for 30 days, and drink 64 oz of water a day.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Detoxing is what your liver and your kidneys are for. You don't need additional 'detoxing' or to 'cleanse' your GI tract or bloodstream or whatever. Your body does that as part of routine maintenance.

If it's the psychological aspect of the "starting clean" from the beginning, I think this would do well:
    Detox by not eating anything from a box, bag, or can for * days, and drink * oz of water a day.

Sticking to fresh fruits, meats, and whole grains (the "clean eating" paradigm) might ping what you're looking for in a cleanse, with the added bonus of actually being nutritious and fueling you properly (unlike an apples-only cleanse).