Strength Training

KristenAnn711
KristenAnn711 Posts: 783
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I know I need to do both cardio and strength but I'm just not sure what to do for strength training. I'm broke and can't buy weights and I cannot afford a gym membership. What kinds of things do you guys do around the house for it? Anything will help. Thanks

Replies

• ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Fitness magazines like shape and fitness have some great strength training exercises. You can use water bottles as weights. Also use your body for resistance (ie pushups, triceps dips, squats). Hope this helps!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    if you have cable, there is fit tv....they have yoga, pilates, and a bunch of other shows that build up mucles....for weights, you can use milk juggs filled with water, laundry softner, or even large water bottles
  • dtcauley4
    dtcauley4 Posts: 110 Member
    I've used soup cans as weights before...get creative....somedays my baby is my weights :flowerforyou:
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Download videos or use youtube to find circuit training videos like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I use 750ml water bottles for the strength exercises. Squats, lunges, presses, pushups. Oh! And I've started the 100 pushup challenge. The great thing about pushups is that they work arms and abs at the same time.
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    I go to the link below and use it as a guideline. It says to use a can of soup or a bottle of water I think. It takes me only about 15-20 minutes and I do it twice a week. I love it! My stomach always looks flatter the next day and I'm glad that my flabby arms are finally getting some attention. I'm a runner so my entire upper body half is always getting neglected.
    http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Strength.html
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    you can use canned vegs as your weights i have a lot of old exercise tapes and dvds you can find at yard sells or rent from the libary for free squats lunges crunches leg lifts jumping jacks are good to do to
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    If you can't afford resistance bands then try this link. It's from askmen.com but they work for women too! Women always do it better anyway right? lol. It seems pretty detailed. Good luck and hope it helps! http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_250/265_weight-training-without-weights.html
This discussion has been closed.