A question for vegetarians....

Options
My younger sister has been a vegetarian for 2 years now and she told me that she's been having serious cravings for meat lately. I suggested she join MFP to track her protein and told her I would find out if anybody could suggest any tips for her. Has this ever happened to you? What supplements do you use to ensure you get proper nutrition?

Replies

• alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B-12
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My younger sister has been a vegetarian for 2 years now and she told me that she's been having serious cravings for meat lately. I suggested she join MFP to track her protein and told her I would find out if anybody could suggest any tips for her. Has this ever happened to you? What supplements do you use to ensure you get proper nutrition?

the only supplement i've needed is vitamin d due to low blood levels. Also, even after almost 7 years of being a vegetarian, i still sometimes crave meat, it smells good. Other than the smell, i'm not sure why i crave it. Just sitting here typing, i don't.. What triggers her cravings?
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Make sure she's getting plenty of protein.

Also, does she eat meat substitutes? Some aren't so great (veggie burgers) but I've bought sausage, ground beef, etc. and thrown them in recipes and my meat-eating friends can't even tell it's not real. That might help.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options

the only supplement I've needed is vitamin d due to low blood levels. Also, even after almost 7 years of being a vegetarian, i still sometimes crave meat, it smells good. Other than the smell, i'm not sure why i crave it. Just sitting here typing, i don't.. What triggers her cravings?

I asked her and she said she didn't know, she just REALLY wanted chicken for the past couple of weeks. She said even when she ate meat, she never really liked the taste of it. I was wondering... are there any amino acids or something else essential that you can only get from meat?
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    Make sure she's getting plenty of protein.

Also, does she eat meat substitutes? Some aren't so great (veggie burgers) but I've bought sausage, ground beef, etc. and thrown them in recipes and my meat-eating friends can't even tell it's not real. That might help.

She definitely eats meat substitutes, but I don't live there so I'm not sure exactly what her diet is like. That's why I'm trying to get her to track on here... at least for a week or so to make sure she's getting enough protein. I know she can be a picky eater and isn't a fan of nuts and beans.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can't get from non meat sources is B12. Most B12 supplements include iron. I take seven seas vegetarian and vegan one. I would get her to go to the doctor and get iron levels checked though. Protein wise you've got to try really hard not to get enough protein unless her diet is incredibly unbalance I very much doubt protein is the problem. I'm a vegan and I easily hit Protein targets without even trying. There's protein in most things a cup of spinach has around 6 grams. Even rice has protein in it.
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    The only thing you can't get from meat is B12. I would get her to go to the doctor and get iron levels checked. Protein wise you've got to try really hard not to get enough protein unless her diet is incredibly unbalance I very much doubt protein is the problem. I'm a vegan and I easily hit Protein targets without even trying. There's protein in most things a cup of spinach has around 6 grams. Even rice has protein in it.

Thanks. I'll suggest an iron check and B12 to her.
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Interesting, several years ago I was a vegetarian and at about the two year mark, I also started having intense cravings for meat (i dreamt about rare steaks-which is something that previously had not been particularly appealing)-I mucked through for about another year with intense cravings and then one day at a time of stress, I ate a can of tuna and the cravings went away immediately. I would like to work my way back into being a vegetarian but this time try to pay more attention to my protein intake. So this time I am trying to eat more tofu, beans, and nutritional yeast-pay more attention to it. I am not there yet. I am loving mfp for helping to keep track of my actual protein intake, and think your suggestion is a great idea.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    quinoa is a good source of a complete protein. adding nuts and beans are a plus with the addition of fiber. google protein for vegetarians. lots of resources out there. :)
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    You have all been very helpful! Thank you so much. Until somebody mentioned tuna, I forgot that she still eats fish. I'm less concerned about protein now that I remember that. I'm talking to her on facebook right now. She said she'll have our mom puck up some B12 for her.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can't get from non meat sources is B12. Most B12 supplements include iron. I take seven seas vegetarian and vegan one. I would get her to go to the doctor and get iron levels checked though. Protein wise you've got to try really hard not to get enough protein unless her diet is incredibly unbalance I very much doubt protein is the problem. I'm a vegan and I easily hit Protein targets without even trying. There's protein in most things a cup of spinach has around 6 grams. Even rice has protein in it.

eggs and dairy have b12, if she eats those, b12 shouldn't be a problem.

thorough blood work is advisable though OP
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options

eggs and dairy have b12, if she eats those, b12 shouldn't be a problem.

thorough blood work is advisable though OP

She eats eggs, but not daily and she limits her dairy since she's lactose intolerant.
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian. But I will say that cravings are different from wanting. If she is craving something that she otherwise wouldn't want, its a good chance she's missing something--and veggie sausage isn't going to cut it. But its hard to know what--bodily cravings are not all that articulate or logical. The only time I *crave* meat is when I'm anemic. Makes sense. But I also craved salt--I was licking it from my finger like a kid with a sugar bowl. Doesn't make so much sense! And I've never heard of vegetarians craving anything because of of b-12 deficiency.

But given that she is female, I'm going to say--check out the iron. A good proportion of menstruating women are anemic--even us meat eaters.

And I don't' know how young your younger sister is, but I will say generally that young vegetarians--just like young carnivores--don't always pay much attention to nutrition. But being a young vegetarian can make it worse because young people are less likely to cook--at the same time that they won't eat anything that the meat eaters in their lives have cooked. I was once a young vegetarian, and my diet was abysmal. But i was young! Who cared! I just wanted to be kind to animals, not eat properly. She may just be generally suboptimally-nourished without any particular "deficiencies." It may be a good time to remind her to review her dietary choices.
  • toad493lbs
    toad493lbs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Making your own vegetarian meat is also an option and is very easy to do. I make chops and sausage and burgers. Other stuff also. Just do a web search and then adapt the recipe to your taste. That and checking out vitamin deficiency should help.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Tell her to check out Morningstar Farms meal starters in the chicken variety if she wants chicken. They are really good.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    quinoa, nuts, beans , Gardein meat alternatives are amazing , so are yves, field roast & tofurkey
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I second/third the recommendation for checking her iron.

That said, cravings don't necessarily mean she has a deficiency (unless I am deficient in chocolate cake).
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I might have missed something but WHY is she vegetarian and would it be a big deal to her if she ate some meat. I do it because I don't want to eat animals for moral reason so I have never wanted to relapse but it all depends on why.

Also her cravings are probably nothing to do with a lack of nutrition- maybe it's just taste- or more likely texture, it's difficult to find a non- animal food which has that chewy texture. I find best is portobello mushrooms and grilled halloumi cheese.
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I might have missed something but WHY is she vegetarian and would it be a big deal to her if she ate some meat. I do it because I don't want to eat animals for moral reason so I have never wanted to relapse but it all depends on why.

I agree. Besides, If my understanding is correct she is not a vegetarian, as she eats fish.

Anyway, even if cravings don't necessarily mean she has a deficiency, a blood test once in a while it is probably a good idea. I suggest her not to take an iron supplement unless she had a proven deficiency, as unneeded iron supplements can cause a number of health problems: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/risk-associated-with-iron-supplements/
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

I agree. Besides, If my understanding is correct she is not a vegetarian, as she eats fish.

Anyway, even if cravings don't necessarily mean she has a deficiency, a blood test once in a while it is probably a good idea. I suggest her not to take an iron supplement unless she had a proven deficiency, as unneeded iron supplements can cause a number of health problems: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/risk-associated-with-iron-supplements/

Good point about the fish- I missed that.