fibro and meno

Options
010114 is right around the corner. I have fibro and menopausal at 44. Inactivity due to pain is my biggest downfall but I know that without exercise and weight loss this is just going to get worse. This is not the life I always dreamed of and I have so many things I want to do! I have been on MFP before but found it frustrating to "keep up" with other people who seemed to manage to get in (in my mind) crazy amounts of exercise that I just could not manage with my fibro, and I watched as other people were posting their weigh loss and I was struggling so much, so I would get frustrated and just stop logging in. Im in a new place now and realizing that I must do things at a pace that allows me to move but does not leave me in misery for days. I now have 100 big ones to lose and no idea how long this will take me. If anyone out there can relate and in the off chance faces the same or similar challenges, Im just looking for a partner who can relate. I am not looking for someone to cry to or with but more looking for solutions that work so that ultimately I can make some of my dreams become reality and have a success story of my own :)

Replies

• billmcnichols
    billmcnichols Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi

i can only walk at a 1MPH pace, so you and i can take this slow and easy

a 30 minute walk a day is a good day, which is basically down to the corner and back

i saw a bald eagle flying in the sky a few days ago, so there is always something new to see every day here on earth

i've seen that people have lost 90+ pounds here, so that is encouraging

walk slow with me towards our weight loss goals. one day at a time
  • velvetwing69
    velvetwing69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thanks :) slow and steady is going to have to be good enough for me for now. Im also going to try to focus more on stretching and light weights. Gotta start somewhere :)
  • sheha2014
    Options
    Trust me you shouldn't care about anyone's progress... You will do AMAZING because you are determined.. I am here if you need support because i know it is hard on you! feel free to add me!! GOOD LUCK!!
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do this for you! One day at a time!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. I have fibromyalgia also (diagnosed in 1996). I do exercise as mine seems to be managed pretty well. But don't think that you have to exercise, You don't. To start off you can just eat at a deficit. Once you have lost some weight and can manage that a bit better, you might find that the pain is also more manageable and you can start slowly adding exercise in. Walking is a good one, It is what I did mostly for a long time. Now I also lift weights and do step aerobics, but you have to go at your pace and remember to lose weight YOU DO NOT NEED TO EXERCISE.

hint - not exercising is not an excuse for not losing weight! :)

You can add me if you want. Good luck!
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Taking one day at a time is the best advise. Do what you can at your own pace, but as weeks pass ask yourself am I physically or mentally holding myself back. I am 55 and on my own journey to loose over 100 lbs. With bad knees I have learned to accept I am no longer in my 20s. But every so often I ask myself can I push myself a little bit harder physically. Mentally the answer is usually no. If you can only walk a block and back that is okay. At some point add 10 more steps and gradually add on. Sometimes it may be that you stand up and walk in place during a commercial break on t.v. or do something with weight. Every bit helps and I am a firm believer that every bit helps us. You can do it!
  • velvetwing69
    velvetwing69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your positive words and encouragement! I know there is a balance for me between too much and not enough so I am always searching to find that balance. One day Im going to run again!!!! :happy:
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    i have fibro but have felt much better since losing some weight and been walking more

feel free to add me as a friend but i only support those that give mutual supprt

good luck on your journey