high blood pressure and sodium

So I have made changes to cut calories, exercise and lose weight. What if I don't cut back my sodium intake? Will my high blood pressure go down? I Haven't done this long enough to notice a difference. I just want to know if say I still average 3000 mg sodium yet cut calories, drink water and exercise, .Maybe then I won't have to worry about the sodium because it sweat/urinate it out?

Replies

• It's hard to say. Weight loss can help. You might also find that reducing calories will reduce your sodium intake. Reducing and replacing some prepackaged foods should also help with your sodium. Have you read up about the link between sodium and HBP?

Sometimes HBP is inherited and you can have problems even at a healthy weight and watching your diet. This is the case for me. I'm probably going to need meds sometime down the track despite the fact that I'm not overweight, I eat a pretty healthy diet and I exercise regularly.

Hopefully you're under the care of a medical practitioner who knows your history and medical details.

Good luck!