Keto Low Carb Scare (long post, sorry)

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Because your posting your experience as a baseless fact when there could have been many causes for what happened. Further, youre doing it without expert opinion such as a dietician or a doctor. Its like youre the michael moore of keto diets

You threatened somehow by someone who had a bad experience that they relate to keto? Relax.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Because your posting your experience as a baseless fact...

Actual experience is not a "baseless fact", and that's exactly the kind of no-content reply that drags this place down.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in…to see where this goes….

I will stick with my regular assertion that diets that eliminate/restrict a whole food group make zero sense IMHO...
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I appreciate posts like this. Thx OP :)
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

I will stick with my regular assertion that diets that eliminate/restrict a whole food group make zero sense IMHO...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly – the point of the forum is support. And I’ve gotten a lot of criticism just for posting my experience and personal view. Obviously, everyone is free to chose his or her own program and method. But if even one person – who may be lurking and not even posting – gets some benefit from reading my experience, then I think it is worthwhile. It’s my experience and my opinion – just like any other post.

Red streaks up your arm? Sounds like an infection. Did you injure yourself in anyway? I got those from an injection site that became infected. Your arteries are too deep to show like that, it is veins if it is anything.

Please go see a doctor. If it IS an infection, you need antibiotics. Red streaks up your arm are not something to mess around with.

Though I'm not a medical professional, the only time I've ever heard of what the OP describes is in the case of sepsis in the context of a companion animal bite. Shrug. It wasn't an every day occurrence at the Animal Hospitals I've worked in over the years, but it was something we all watched for.

OP...I hope you see a doctor and feel better soon =)

As for me, I won't be going that route. Thanks to keto, I have normal blood sugar, within normal wt. range for my height, all my other out of control blood values have also normalized as well. Thanks anyway, but I think I'll take my chances as with keto. A diet of more than 40 g of carb per day and 'healthy whole grains' have doomed me to a bleak future if I don't continue on my current trajectory.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    My veins pop more when I'm skinnier, whether I'm in ketosis or not. They sure don't turn red, though. OP, I hope you went to the doctor and didn't have blood poisoning. Any updates?
  • tped41
    tped41 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If I missed something, I apologize. I do not know the difference between Keto and eating low carb. I have lost 64 pounds as of today since April 1, 2013. I did this by eating low carb and cutting out as much sugar as possible. I do not put a name on weight loss. I guess it's the Tamie diet. When something I eat or do does not make me feel good or scares me, I stop doing that particular thing. . I think the original poster should absolutely should go to the doctor and see what those marks on her arm were. If it is the diet, then of course stop it for sure. Everyone's DNA is not the same and they should do what works for them and should do what they can to stick with it for life. Good luck to everyone on this board and, especially, the original poster.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    If I missed something, I apologize. I do not know the difference between Keto and eating low carb. I have lost 64 pounds as of today since April 1, 2013. I did this by eating low carb and cutting out as much sugar as possible. I do not put a name on weight loss. I guess it's the Tamie diet. When something I eat or do does not make me feel good or scares me, I stop doing that particular thing. . I think the original poster should absolutely should go to the doctor and see what those marks on her arm were. If it is the diet, then of course stop it for sure. Everyone's DNA is not the same and they should do what works for them and should do what they can to stick with it for life. Good luck to everyone on this board and, especially, the original poster.

Low carb and keto is a matter of degree. Some people eat low carb but not so low that their body switches over to ketosis every day. It varies from person to person, but for me, low carb would be 40-50 grams a day and going into ketosis is anything below 30-40, with the 40s being iffy.
  • tped41
    tped41 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Got it. Thank you.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    While it may not be my place to say, OP, this is not the right way to eat for YOU. That doesn't mean that others shouldn't do keto or paleo or etc. My mom actually does quite well on a low carb diet, however, I do not. It all depends on the person.
  • murrishmo
    Options
    I came here to say this. Anecdotal observations are not evidence. I am not a physician, but my husband is in med school. There are so many diseases that people draw their own connections to that are just silly or unscientific. Medically, scientifically, this post makes no sense. That being said, OP should see a doctor, and stop doing Keto. One should always consult a physician before making any dietary changes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I bet lots of women with PCOS would disagree.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    You can't see your arteries anywhere on your body. They're located much deeper than your veins because they're bigger and carry more blood, so they need to be more protected.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I became to believe that diet is another type of religion...So many easily feel offended when someone is simply telling his/her own experience (normally not positive experience)...

Relax...Happy New Year everyone~
  • brad_lay
    Options
    I became to believe that diet is another type of religion...So many easily feel offended when someone is simply telling his/her own experience (normally not positive experience)...

People became offended when the OP said NOT to even try it... it's not healthy, etc. Posting personal experiences are great and I encourage it but when the language shifts towards, "I did it... it was awful... never do it because I said so!" then people are going to get defensive. Obviously not all diets are going to work for everyone... there's no sense in shaming someone else's methods that work for them.