Attempting my first bulk

Options
I got down to 117lbs and 17.1% BF before vacation, currently sitting at around 119 and 17.5%. Looking to bulk up until I hit 22% or my pants feel uncomfortable, whichever comes first :-) StrongLifts 5x5 and about a 300 calorie surplus over TDEE, plus I teach and take a couple yoga classes a week.

It's a whole new world for me because I am really good at losing weight and pretty good at maintaining it, I've just never tried to deliberately gain it!

(Also, apparently this is my 2000th post, woohoo!)

Replies

• meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    what? bulk with 17.5% BF? i hope you are kidding
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Why would you hope she is kidding???

Did you think OP was a guy?
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options

I hope YOU'RE kidding. 17% is on the low side for a woman. Get a clue. Also, strong 2nd post

OP sounds like you know what you're doing. Stronglifts are nice. I'd do those and move onto madcow 5x5 in 4-5 months. My 6 month bulk ends next month. Then it's time to shred again.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

I hope you're kidding. 17% is on the low side for a woman. Get a clue.

OP sounds like you know what you're doing. Stronglifts are nice. I'd do those and move onto madcow 5x5 in 4-5 months.

Or anything that is balanced, provides enough volume and intensity (progressive overload). There's actually a wide range of rep ranges and programs that will work, whether pre-made or created for you. But I'd try something and stick to it for a good few months before changing it up.

And happy 2000!

• meankeen
    Options
    17% is not low, you clearly don't know.
  • Amadbro
    Options

wow this guy...STRONG 3RD post. You're right bro...I OBVIOUSLY dont know at all. I mean..look at me..do i even lift?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    No one claimed it was "low". Just on the lower side. Low enough to bulk for sure. It's personal preference. A woman doesn't have to be down to 12% to bulk. And going that low isn't easy.

We're all ignoring you at this point, thank you.

OP, please carry on...

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your bulk, let us know how you get on!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    OP, you have a great starting point. There's a group here where many ladies including myself are currently bulking. Feel free to join!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk
  • meankeen
    Options

wow this guy...STRONG 3RD post. You're right bro...I OBVIOUSLY dont know at all. I mean..look at me..do i even lift?

ur right, whether u even lift is debatable
  • Amadbro
    Options

lol...Go eat a sammich..looks like you could use a few
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

I thought you might like to know the "30 Day Shred" you replied to with details on your 30 day cut is actually a thread about the "30 Day Shred" workout program by Jillian Michaels.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the support and the, ah, entertainment.

Curious to know if switching to Madcow is supposed to be time based or progression based? I like the idea of Wendler 5/3/1 for intermediate lifting but want to get my linear gains in first.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I thought you might like to know the "30 Day Shred" you replied to with details on your 30 day cut is actually a thread about the "30 Day Shred" workout program by Jillian Michaels.

:flowerforyou:
  • agthorn
    Options
    OP, you have a great starting point. There's a group here where many ladies including myself are currently bulking. Feel free to join!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk

Thanks, I just joined :-)
  • Matt24442
    Options

This is gettin good. You boys should go outside and let us watch.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the support and the, ah, entertainment.

Curious to know if switching to Madcow is supposed to be time based or progression based? I like the idea of Wendler 5/3/1 for intermediate lifting but want to get my linear gains in first.

One of my MFP friends started with stronglifts, and is now doing Wendler, and has made phenomenal progress (and she is not trying to bulk, but is maintaining).

Personally, I make up my own programs, but I've always been a do-it-your-self-er when it comes to tackling most projects in life. Nothing wrong with ready-made programs.
  • Amadbro
    Options
    Madcow is progression based. It's an intermediate 5x5
  • Amadbro
    Options
    And sorry guys I just really hate it when someone comes in here spewing toxic garbage. This guy had just recently made a post saying how he cut on 1300 calories. So you can see how I find his information a little "less then credible".
  • agthorn
    Options
    Hulk smash bad information.