Why won't the scale move?

Options
Hello there,

2 years ago, I began to gain weight. I used to be 110 pounds and now I am 140 pounds at 5"3.

I have been exercising every day, minimum 30 minutes, either interval bike or Pilates. I have been doing so for 12 days, with one day break. My scale won't move but my body composition seems to be changing for the better. Any ideas why?

Thanks for all your help,

Replies

• popflying
    Options
    Well, first of all, take body measurements with a tape measure. Muscle is more dense than fat and if you are really gaining muscle then you will be losing inches. Measure every 3-4 weeks to look for improvements.

Also, are you accurately tracking calories? You can easily eat back your exercise if you don't watch what you eat. Be thorough. Use a food scale. For $20 or so you can have a very accurate one from Amazon or a department store.

And finally, just keep at it. You said your body composition is changing, which is definitely a sign of progress. And honestly, the scale lies - many people stall on the scale while seeing improvements in their body. Only step on it a few times a month. The weight will come off, but slowly.

Keep at it, good luck!
  • GardenOfSongs
    GardenOfSongs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Could be one or several of many reasons including water weight, muscle mass increasing (which is implied seeing as you've noticed a change in your body composition), changes in hormones etc. etc.

I wouldn't worry too much - took a look at my last 30 days earlier and there have been several 8-12 day periods where my weight's stubbornly plateaued - it seemed to particularly 'like' 171 and 166lbs! It'll shift eventually, just keep up the good work and one day *ta dah* you'll see the results for yourself :wink:
  • PecanWaffle
    Options
    First thoughts, (theoretically speaking):

1) Broken scale ;-)
    2) Are you getting above 140 bpm during the cardio?
    3) Are you dieting and logging meals?
    4) Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day?
    5) You may be losing fat but gaining muscle, muscle is denser

Feel free to add me,
    PW
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Just break up with your scale. My weight didn't change for 2 months, but I dropped a pants size. Take your measurements, pictures.... and give it more than 12 days.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Weight gains and losses are a function of calories consumed less calories burned. If you have a surplus, you gain weight. Exercise can help increase the calories burned portion if the equation, but what you eat will play a much larger role. Also, 12 days is probably too short of a time to see a significant change in diet or exercise. Keep on exercising, log everything you estimate, and make a modest reduction in calories consumed. Give it 4 weeks, and if you haven't lost any weight, cut some additional calories to ensure you are eating at a deficit, or increase exercising. Good luck, you can do it!
  • TheoreticalGirl
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice. I am very appreciative. I've added each of you as a friend and I hope we can support and motivate each other. I will get a tape measure and start look at various ways to interpret results. And I might just have to Break Up with my scale :)

Thanks, so much, again.

TG
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    …because its only been 12 days? And I usually find that when I first start exercising, I don't lose weight. A new exercise program will make you retain water a bit--the body diverts the water to the repairing muscles. Its not uncommon for me to gain a pound or two the day after a vigorous workout. (...but its probably not muscle. Not after 12 days!)

But it might also be because you are now eating just a teensy bit more to make up for the exercise. That happens to plenty o' people. It's actually very easy to do if you aren't keeping track. Especially if you have little muscle to start with--you probably aren't burning a heck of a lot of calories with the exercise, and it only takes a few extra bites to eat them back. Studies have shown that exercise alone rarely results in weight loss for most people, because they just automatically start eating more without realizing it. That's why you have to stay on top of the food.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The big trick is just burn a little more than you eat. Your diary is still set to private so I can't help you there but watching intake versus output is the most important part. You can do it!!!!!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    measure everything and ditch the scale. It is only one number. Use your tape measure and measure your arm, hips, waist, thighs, all the bits we want to tighten up. Take pictures. Use a measuring outfit. The more data you keep, the more places you see progress. I have had my scale not move for months, but a quarter inch here in a half an inch there continues to be very encouraging and helps keep me on track.