150 pounds to lose......HELP!!!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• mbennett2283
    Options
    Definitely invest in a decent food scale. I got mine at Wal-Mart for I believe $18.00.

Another thing you might want to consider is cooking your week's meals in one day and portioning everything out in plasticware (also at WalMart for $10 for a pack of 20ish). I cook one setup for my lunches and I just finished cooking the other setup for my dinners. It saves you the quandary one runs into in the evening after work when he/she doesn't feel like cooking, sometimes resulting in fast food or pizza delivery.
  • StrongWoman13
    StrongWoman13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am right there beside you! Find what works for you. I need to log everything both food and exercise. I got a second job to have a trainer.

also, I found this " If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend eating higher protein, lower carbs (breads, pastas, grains). Track everything religiously, and eat something every 3-4 hours to keep your hunger at bay and your metabolism up.

Drink LOTS of water. If you hate water, Crystal Light is pretty awesome & fairly inexpensive. You are going to get a TON of suggestions. Find the right combination that works for you, and even if you started off with one or two rules and built on that, it would improve your diet. You don't have to drop everything all at once. This is a journey, not a race. :)

Best of luck!

meal timing and metabolism are irrelevant…

Low carb has nothing to do with weight loss.

OP - here is what I would say.

1. Figure out a 500 calorie per day deficit.
    2. Hit your macros ..set your carbs/protein/fat at 40p/30c/30f
    3. Find a work out program - I would recommend new rules of lifting for woman and starting strength as good beginner books. I would recommend a program of compound lifts where you are lifting heavy.
    4. Buy a food scale and weight, measure, log all of your food.
    5 - you do not have to restrict certain food groups. if you want pizza eat it, just fit it into your daily calorie goal. A lot of people find the 80/20 rule helpful, which is 80% healthy, and 20% whatever you want.
    5 - repeat until you reach your goals.

There are no magic diets, short cuts, cleanses, etc that are going to speed this process up. It is a marathon not a sprint, you did not get 150 pounds overweight in a week, and you will not lose it in a week…
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

1. Cutting out all sugary things (natural sugar from fruits is okay)

please explain the difference between fruit sugar and sugar from a candy bar…?
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 135. All I can tell you is slow and steady is the best approach. Request coming your way! Anyone else can feel free to add me :))
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and you'll make it!

Good luck!
  • bluesy8899
    bluesy8899 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So much great advice from some great folks. I too have a good amount of weight to lose. I'm down 35 pounds since August and hope to be close to my goal in a year. I've been a yo yo'er my whole adult life. Planning and tracking everything I eat really does help. The best tool for me is to only work on today, tomorrow will take care of itself. This goes for cravings or wanting to skip a workout, too. If I just do it today and and still feel the same tomorrow, I will satisfy the craving but rarely skip the workout. I wish you the best in your goals. There are some great folks here and so much support. Welcome!
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    I did it...you can too!!!!!

Don't quit...make small changes that YOU can live with and maintain...get active, do something...and DONT QUIT!!!!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice already. If you, or any, want additional accountability, feel free to add me. I'd love to help.
    One Day At A Time.

There will be lots of ups and downs. Remember, always get UP after you fall down, and reach out to us. You CAN do this!

Nancy
  • bellepiff
    Options
    oh pick me pick me!

I need to lose more than half my body weight to be within the healthy weight for height range.
    It's scary- I could lose what husband weighs and still technically be overweight.

I'm taking it one day at a time- yeah I have the big ultimate goals, but right now my focus is on drinking my water, logging my food (staying under my calorie allowance) each day. Then repeat.

I have a knee injury at the moment that is limiting my movement - only just starting to be able to walk (hobble really) around the house without using my crutches so exercise is extremely limited. But I'm not letting that stop me or use it as an excuse not to lose weight. My losses will just be smaller and slower until me knee is right.

Good luck with it- feel free to add me as a friend if you want. :)
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have 130-150 pounds more to lose as well. Not sure of my final goal which is why the range. You are welcome to friend me and we can support each other on this journey!
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    RE: 150 pounds to lose.......Help!!!!!!

No you don't.

You have 10 pounds to lose

just do it 15 times or

Lose 15 pounds 10 times

150 is an overwhelming number, get it out of your head
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I still have around 100 to go - so we can go down together if you like.

I could easily win the "turtle" award - I don't set weekly weight loss goals. I just try to be under my calories, then if not, less than 200 over, then if not - and so forth. Last stop is under maintenance - and sometimes I don't make that - but usually I do. I've slowly dropped weight and I'm ok with that. It's been a comfortable way to do it.

I tend to get obsessive so I've avoided nearly all goal setting to prevent that. That has done me more favors than anything. I just try to keep improving and if I can't get it right I just try to get it within reason. Any progress is still progress for me.

I started by just logging. I didn't even change my eating. Had no idea how I wanted to eat - other than I had an idea of "clean" and "paleo" bouncing around. I let those go and just tried tweaking where I started. WOW, has that worked wonders. I upped protein and fiber to help me feel fuller - worked like a charm. I started moving more - and I've dropped 2 pant sizes for real. I don't "hit it and get it" and I don't buy into "all or nothing" mentality. I do what I can, I try to keep improving and I try not to look too closely at the process or I'll over analyze and quit. I am shocked at how far I've come just like that.

Start however you want, but if you find it's too much too fast, consider my methods. I'm having the best success ever by taking small steps towards a loosely set goal of progress. I do have goals on my page - but it's more like milestones in my head than goals. I don't care when I hit them. I don't have a deadline in mind - just a direction.