Running on concrete?

Options
My podiatrist has advised me to stop running on the road after doing it that way for 27 years. I have stability shoes and orthotics. I am wondering if any of you loves and is successful at running on concrete? Even if I have to go lower mileage, I hate to give it up completely and want to make my own decision. I would welcome any input. Thanks.

Replies

• chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to get shin splints it's from running on sidewalks, but I have many running friends who prefer this vs. road and have no adverse affects.
    Trail/packed dirt seems to be easiest for me if you have that option.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Any trails nearby? I've found they're much easier on my shins and knees.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Is your podiatrist a runner? If not I think getting a second opinion from one that runs would be beneficial. After 27 years of running I would certainly consider all available alternatives before giving it up completely. Although I love doing most of my training on trails, I realize most races are on concrete.
    My podiatrist has advised me to stop running on the road after doing it that way for 27 years. I have stability shoes and orthotics. I am wondering if any of you loves and is successful at running on concrete? Even if I have to go lower mileage, I hate to give it up completely and want to make my own decision. I would welcome any input. Thanks.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how anybody can really give any advice if we don't know WHY your podiatrist suggested this.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Well running on concrete does put more stress on the joints.

Rather than quit doing it all together, if you don't have nearby trails, I'd cut some of the running out for swimming. Swimming is much easier on your joints, and imo gives a better workout as well
  • MrsG1994
    MrsG1994 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, he's a runner. He is also a coach, and decided his runners have less foot problems in general when training only on grass or trails. So it is more of an across-the-board philosophy he has adopted rather than a solution for me specifically.