Anyone Lose Very Slowly

Options
2»

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds in about a year and took a break for a few years, sometimes trying to get the last 30 off and quickly giving up. I always gave up those last 30 pounds because I expected the same rate of weight loss as I did for the 100 pounds and that's not going to happen.

So now, this time around, I am averaging a one pound a week loss. I could do more if I tightened up my diet on the weekends and I'm working on that. But right now, I'm OK with a puond a week as I am eating whatever I want, drinking what I want and making huge fitness improvements.

You do have to remember, as others said, to not ocmpare yourself with others. We don't know what everyone else is doing when you aren't around them. Second - it's not a sprint. Not at all. It's hard to remember this though :)
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think it is quite common to lose slowly. I am the turtle, not the hare.

However, there could always be other issues, like stress & lack of sleep, not eating breakfast or underlying health issues like some type of gut or hormonal issue.

It really is hard to say. But my chiropractor keeps saying get enough sleep & chew your food good enough to aid digestion.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    chewing your food is extremely important...and it is sooo easy to forget to do! :)
    stress is also a factor - if one is stressed the body finds it more difficult to let go of those extra deposits.
    hormonal issues are also a factor
    the amount of sugar vs dietary fiber you take in is also a factor
    the amount and intensity of your exercise is also a factor
    even the altitude you are at is a factor (no joke)
    weight loss is a complex issue

I firmly believe that slow weight loss is the right weight loss. the reason why most diets dont work (it is proven that most people on a diet gain their weight back!) because it is a diet - temprorary solution. To make a lifestyle change (change the food we eat, change our exercise habits) and to embed those changes takes much longer - years and that is the way it should be..the weight loss should be a "pleasant side effect" :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a slow process, just like gaining weight is a slow process. The only people I've ever seen lose "fast" were ver overweight individuals with tons of fat stores and carb cutters who lose a lot of water weight early on. I guess I could throw crash dieters in there as well...but I've never seen a crash dieter keep the weight off and it's in no way healthy.

I took me the better part of 9 months to lose about 40 Lbs.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I lose 0.4 lbs a week but consider it a success if I lose at least 0.33! It fits how many calories I want to cut, and I figure I have a better chance of still putting on muscle while losing. Did I say that it fits how many calories I want to eat ;) ?

But the inches go down and so do the lbs, so it's all good for me. It's not as exciting, but I really like to think I won't pick up my bad habits again after this time. It feels a lot like maintenance, but that's good for me. I don't need to get to goal and then eat all the desserts again :D
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 20 lbs. It's truly a lifestyle change after all this time. When I move into maintenance, I'll still do everything I'm doing now. I'll just up my calorie goal.
  • GothicaAdore
    GothicaAdore Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had about two weeks where I did not lose much weight at all and then a week where I lost two pounds. I lose about 1/2 a pound a week and I think that will be better for me in the long run then losing quick.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through the replies, so I'm sure I'm repeating what you've already heard, but...

I used to lose weight very quickly. 2 or more pounds per week a lot of weeks. This is when I was in my early 20's, so I can probably attribute most of that to metabolism. Now I'm lucky to lose a pound every 2-3 weeks. This bothered me immensely when I first started and I kicked myself for not losing weight when it was easier.

But you know what ...?

This is the one and only time in my adult life where I've conciously maintained a healthy weight through diet and exercise. I have found that when I've worked harder/waited longer for pounds to come off, I don't take it for granted. It almost feels like the slower I go, the better chance I have of keeping it off.

I'm not trying to get pounds off. I am changing my life, and the pounds I've lost reflect that. It really doesn't matter how long it takes me, because once they're off, they're off forever.

And I'll be the same is true for you. :) Good luck and do NOT let yourself get down.
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    From a poster: Some quit because of slow progress, never realizing that slow progress. . . is progress.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! It took me 5 months to lose 33 pounds. I want to lose another 40. My body fat is low and my doctor is not concerned about my weight. I just weigh more than I look and I for once, would like to see a lower number on the scale.
  • jade1244
    Options
    This was a great topic and very helpful to read all of the replies....I have just started here recently, and am already feeling impatient about the slow progress, I am weighing myself everyday and I know that is a big NO NO
    I have lost between 3-4 lbs the first week but I know that is water weight and will slow considerably.......the posts were so helpful to remember that slow and steady is the way to make it permanent. The quick weight loss fix will not be permanent and will surely come back. I feel much more confident knowing that take it slow and steady and the weight will stay off.........thanks to all!
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with you all. I need to figure out how to stay focused and not let the slow scale bother me. I've stopped weighing every day and now I just need to focus on me. I am looking for more friends with 30-50 pounds to lose so that we can lose together and run at the same slow pace. Right now, I feel like all my jogging buddies are sprinters and what good is that?! I'm looking for some people to keep up with!

Thanks again all for your helpful, thoughtful, sincere posts. I think I lose like 2 or 3 pounds a month.