DOMS- Temporary or A Way of Life?

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    How often do you lift? In my experience it's temporary but happens when doing something unfamiliar. I had little to no soreness from lifting before my break, but just about died from DOMS my first day back after about four weeks off. Now the soreness is barely noticeable again. In contrast, I run maybe once every week or two and get DOMS most every time from that.

this. the only other time i will get it is when i do tweaks on my form. i have a few mobility issues that i'm working my way through (shoulders, hips, ankles) so as my mobility and flexibility increases in those areas, my form gets better which means im using more of the muscles that didnt get worked because of mobility. although i significantly drop the weight, it's still somewhat new to my body and i get doms
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I don't have a routine where I do the same exercises again and again- I have a progressive program that uses compound movements (functional fitness) that are always switching up. I use Pocket Trainer (a great phone app) and choose heavier weights. Usually 10 different exercises, 3 sets of 8-12 reps grouped by category. I do this 1-3 times per week, depending on how sore I get, and I try to alternate with cardio days where I do HIIT on the treadmill, stair stepper, or row machine, plus occasional walks (fewer when it's icky outside). I'm still sore from a few days ago.

Probably too many sets per muscle group.. especially if you only work a muscle group once a week.

If you need more help, post the specific exercises you did on your last workout.