training around injuries

I will list my injuries and please give me an opinion on a workout program to follow. I have ruptured both my left and right distal biceps tendons but no surgury needed, doc said looking at the MRI if I had not felt a pop he would have said it was only bad inflamation. Two disc damaged in my lower back causing sciatica and mutiple knee and ankle injuries. All injuries have healed but the disc because I have not had surgery because of fear and the fact the sciatica only flares up about every two to three years bad enough for me to miss work.

I know weight training can help strengthen my core and help with my back problems but the injuries to my elbows and knees worry me. I enjoy walking/hiking but feel it doesn't give me as much benefit as running in the short amount of time I have to workout each day. Being overweight, running hurts my knees and feet so it is like a catch 22.

Thoughts?

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Biking, swimming, resistance bands. Walking and hiking are great too and even though you don't feel like you are getting as much out of it compared to running, you won't get anything if you are sidelined with another injury.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Swimming at the most. Back problems are never to be neglected - you lift - don't have a right posture you could make things much worst! Additionally elbows and knees are likely to be hit in a considerable amount of movements you will do (lifting, running, swimming, cycling etc...) If i was in your shoes I personally would stop everything - R&R - get fixed and eventually start training again.
    Even if you do not feel the consequences immediately they will catch up with you at a certain point!
  • Ozzzy66
    Ozzzy66 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks for the input, I use to bike but I have gotten away from that. I may look into picking it back up.
  • Ozzzy66
    If i was in your shoes I personally would stop everything - R&R - get fixed and eventually start training again.

Thanks for your input, I have taken over a year off from anything but walking, golfing (9 holes) and playing with my kids. My sciatica hasn't flared up in over four years. I started C25K last month but the first day of training caused me to sprain my foot from the impact of running; I'm still too fat to run, lol.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I feel your pain, I did something to my lumbar region (lower back) about 3 weeks ago and have not been to the gym since. It's not bad until I am sitting in my office chair or car then the pressure starts to bother me... Bending to get things off the floor has become a challenge.

Today I try to go back but until I see a doctor, I will only be walking or using the elliptical... this is from a person who only lifted weights 3x a week and did no cardio.
  • Ozzzy66
    I feel your pain, I did something to my lumbar region (lower back) about 3 weeks ago and have not been to the gym since. It's not bad until I am sitting in my office chair or car then the pressure starts to bother me... Bending to get things off the floor has become a challenge.

Today I try to go back but until I see a doctor, I will only be walking or using the elliptical... this is from a person who only lifted weights 3x a week and did no cardio.

I'm not a doctor but ibuprofen and stretching has always helped me.I have been to see a physical therapist many times for my lower back and I use the stretches they taught me. I hope you feel better soon.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    At 31, I have a bulging disc...not at the point of surgery, but must lose weight to release pressure on spine and nerve; laser knee surgery to fix the tear, a year of therapy did wonders; and most recently fractured my ankle playing racquetball. The ankle is healing now, it has been a month.. I just climb back on the bike to strengthen the ligaments.Motrin 800 helps with the pain and swelling.

I'm injured not a doctor...I agree stretching is most important, light lifting...im a girl so light lifting for me is 10-25lbs; walking is good and swimming is great for cardio and weight loss. And of course calcium, toss the supplement drink lots of milk to build strength in the bones. Last but not least listen to your body and mind, rest, do not over do it.

Good luck