What should I eat pre-workout ???

epond
epond Posts: 30
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone,

I am looking for suggestoins on what to eat prior to a morning workout. My breakfast usually consists of oatmeal and a couple egg whites, but I am wondering if I should do something lighter before hitting the gym and then maybe have that when I come home?

Ideas would be great!

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    I always had oatmeal for breakfast when I was doing my morning training runs... Never had a problem.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    I eat oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter in it...doesn't affect my daily workouts at all.
  • eapr
    eapr Posts: 14
    Oatmeal is a great pre-workout breakfast. I think it depends on how you feel. I put skim milk in mine. I have discovered that the dairy gives me cramps if I workout too soon after. If you are feeling good then keep it up:)..I use the old fashion cook on the stove oatmeal. Better for you and no added sugar.

Eapr
  • epond
    Thanks!! off to make my oatmeal!
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    I eat oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter in it...doesn't affect my daily workouts at all.

OMG!!! That's exactly how I eat my oatmeal! My hubby and son think that it's wierd, but I like it and it keeps me full till lunch.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    I always think carbs before exercise for energy and carbs for energy and protein to rebuild the muscle that you tear when exercising after. So oatmeal before is a good choice but if you think that might be a little heavy then have fruit before and your usual breakfast after.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I never eat before I exercise. I have breakfast about an hour after.

I've read many fitness reports that exercising in a fasted state (ie you haven't eaten since your meal the eveing before) is better for fat loss. Basically, the energy you need is taken from existing glycogen and fat stores, rather than the meal you've just eaten!

Absolutly no way should you eat within an hour of exercise anyhow. This just impedes my performance and gives me indigestion! :laugh:

As I say to most people, try it and see how you feel. What works for one, doesnt work for another. But there's definitely no harm in it. I actually feel far more alert and energetic exercising on an empty stomach.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Everyone is different. You do what works for you. Some people go to the gym in the morning without breakfast. If I did that, I really think I would faint on one of the machines. I don't do a heavy breakfast, but something light such as oatmeal or cereal.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    What I've done is if my workout is very intense and longer (more than 40 mins), then I need to eat something, and a banana fits the bill perfectly. If I have a shorter or less intensive workout then I don't have anything and do it in the "fasting" state. I always eat my normal breakfast within the next 30 mins. I found out that I needed to do this after a bit of trial and error to what felt best for my body. So, in other words you can take every one's advice into account, but you should use your body to determine what really works best for you.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    I don't eat anything before my morning workout---and my workouts throughout the day I do not deliberately eat anything before them thinking that it's "for my workout" I am completely fine working out on an empty stomach in the morning---the thought never crosses my mind and doesn't effect my workout negatively! Everyone is different, and if you feel like you need to eat something before you workout, then do it---but if you really aren't starving or it's not making you slack off, I say just skip it.
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    I get up and work out between 5 and 5:30 in the morning, so I don't eat before. I actually don't eat until around 6:30 or so (sometimes later). Works fine for me!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I agree with the banana and oatmeal folks. My top choice is a banana my second choice is oatmeal. A few months ago I went to a personal trainer. When she discovered that I was only eating a banana or oatmeal, she suggested that I eat BOTH! She said you really need the carbs to get your through the workout at max energy and strength. I will admit, the other day I woke up and just jumped in. About 20 minutes into it I was dying and wondered what was wrong with me. Then I realized I had forgotten to eat. I simply couldn't perform without the fuel. I am in my last 6 pounds to hitting my goal, so there was little reserve.

Eat the egg whites after.

Best of luck!

D
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    I am in my last 6 pounds to hitting my goal, so there was little reserve.

Tha'ts a very valid point! If you dont have any stored glycogen and fat, then I'm sure you would need to supplement with real food.

Can't wait to be in that position!! :laugh: Right now, there are plenty of reserves :blushing:
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    It all depends on you but if you have time eat first. Oatbran is what I eat with ground flaxseed mixed in and 1 egg and 2 egg whites and maybe blueberries or 2 oz of apple and cinnamon. No sugar unless it is natral. Also I need this food to help fuel my workout. If I am close on time I may workout right when I get up and then eat. SOme time that is hard because I struggle with being hungry and low energy.
  • epond
    :happy:
    It all depends on you but if you have time eat first. Oatbran is what I eat with ground flaxseed mixed in and 1 egg and 2 egg whites and maybe blueberries or 2 oz of apple and cinnamon. No sugar unless it is natral. Also I need this food to help fuel my workout. If I am close on time I may workout right when I get up and then eat. SOme time that is hard because I struggle with being hungry and low energy.

ProTFItness : it sounds like you eat clean?? you're breakfast sounds very clean! and yummy! I am eating clean and loving every minute of it. :happy:
  • epond
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! REALLY enjoy your feedback!
This discussion has been closed.