Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Are my goals too lofty? (circuit/strength training)

Hi everyone! I posted this on another forum but I think it may have been the wrong place.

For the past month or so I've been counting calories and have dropped about 10 pounds. Feeling great! In addition, I've just now started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred this morning. I also do strength training in the morning (with 8 pound dumbbells I have, doing exercises like bicep curls, hammer curls, shoulder and back exercises, squats, etc.)

I've always been very athletic, but two deaths in the family, a cross-Atlantic move and a horrible breakup and subsequent bout with depression meant I ballooned from 140 pounds to 210. I beat the depression, now I just have to get the weight off. At 140 pounds I was a size 4 (I'm 5'1") but I'd been muscular from working out. I'd be happy being around 160 if it meant I were a lot stronger and were, say, even a size 8.

Is it feasible for me to expect to lose around 4 sizes from now until June (so, the summer... a little over 5 months from now)? So I'd be going from a 16 (current) to an 8. Keep in mind that I'm short and short gals have to lose less to move a size down. This is a lifestyle change for me. Eat clean, exercise, rinse, repeat. I know this is something I've changed and will continue to follow for the better, but what sort of results can I expect around summertime? No matter what, I'm still plodding along!

Replies

• Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    I think it can definitely be done. You just have to find something you enjoy doing so you don't get burnt out and stick to it. Also, accurately logging your food will make a huge difference. Be sure to start increasing your lifting weight as well. I know where I live there are many sporting good stores that will take used equipment and also sell new/old equipment. After you've been using your lower weight dumbbells perhaps consider trading them in for 10 or 15 pound weights and increasing every so often so your body is challenged.

Feel free to add me. Although I'm in this for the long road, I'm also hoping to see significant changes in the next 6 months. Good luck!!! :)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    You want to lose about 60 pounds in 5 months, if I'm understanding correctly.

That works out to be *about* 12 pounds per month. That is pretty aggressive at about 3 pounds a week.

It is recommended that you don't try and lose more then 2 pounds a week, and as you move closer to your goals/have less weight to lose, you will probably want to decrease the amount of weight you lose per week.

I think if you put your mind to it, you can definitely lose most of of your goal weight by June, but I wouldn't push yourself/create too much of a deficit, because then you will be hangry, and nobody likes to be hangry!

Congratulations on your ten pounds lost! Best wishes to you.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Would you give up if everyone told you no?

Then I guess it really doesn't matter then does it?
  • Darkbite29
    Darkbite29 Posts: 12 Member
    Good quote :) At the end of the day, whether people are positive or negative, the state of your health boils down to you as an individual. Yes, outside sources affect our health, but they don't determine them completely. I liked how you stated that it doesn't really matter.
  • "You want to lose about 60 pounds in 5 months, if I'm understanding correctly. "

Sorry--don't know how to quote. Nope--just want to lose around 40! I don't mind being at 160 because I know at 160 I hovered around a size 10, but with strength training I might weigh 160 but be considerably smaller than me at a "normal" 160. :)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Oh okay, that's much more feasible in that time then!
  • Good to know! So 40 pounds/4 sizes is doable? :D