Exciting things to do with white cabbage?

Options
battybecks
battybecks Posts: 147 Member
Hi all,

Just looking for some ideas. I bought a white cabbage the other day - mostly because it was cheap. I'm going to use some of it in my homemade veggie stew (sounds boring, but not when you realise how many chillis and other spices I put in my stews), but I have no idea what to do with the rest!

Any ideas for how to make the infamously bland exciting? Exotic recipes or handy hints? :smile:

Replies

• misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I often shred it and then roast in the oven in a pot with a lid with a big drizzle of olive oil & black pepper & a little soy sauce & there is never any left over as everyone in my household seems to love it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I do all sorts of stuff with it, but my favorite is to make homemade cole slaw. I'm on a keto diet, so frying it up in a pan with ground beef, topping with a load of cheese & serving in a bowl is a favorite dinner around here. No matter what you do with it, the key is to season well.

It's good for stir fry (adds veggie bulk) good to add to soups & stews too, I also chop finely and add to ground pork for wontons (I don't eat the wontons, but those that aren't carb restricted in my family do).

Good Luck! :drinker:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I love sauted cabbage with bacon. Just shred or chop up the cabbage. Fry up some bacon, and chop it up. Toss the excess bacon grease (but don't wipe out the pot) and then put the cabbage and bacon back in with a bit of water (to break up the brown bits on the bottom) and then cook covered until the cabbage is just wilted. I love it that way.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    giggity.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I love sauted cabbage with bacon. Just shred or chop up the cabbage. Fry up some bacon, and chop it up. Toss the excess bacon grease (but don't wipe out the pot) and then put the cabbage and bacon back in with a bit of water (to break up the brown bits on the bottom) and then cook covered until the cabbage is just wilted. I love it that way.

Yep this one is a winner,.... You can add some tomato paste dissolve it in the water first .... and/or use stock instead of water... salt pepper
  • Quietusx
    Options
    It is great that you posted this! TFM is selling cabbage at something like 19 cents a pound right now and I am dying to buy some and cook it.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread. =)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    coleslaw

or just boiled and eaten with gravy and mint sauce, because I'm British and I actually like to eat this. It's best accompanied by roast lamb, and don't boil it too long or it ruins the flavour and texture. About 3 mins boiled is enough, or if you have a vegetable steamer, then steam it. Cut it into strips first. don't let it get soggy
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    In for ideas.

We are in a CSA and get tons of cabbage through the winter. I love it, but get tired of same old thigns over and over.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In for ideas!
  • madtsara
    madtsara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can make Cabbage Steaks. Line a baking sheet with and preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Mix salt and pepper in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil (or whatever oil you like, really) - if you like it spicy, add some chili pepper/cayenne/cumin/whathaveyou to the oil. Lay the 'steaks' flat on the baking sheet, paint with spiced oil, pop in the oven. Should take 10-15 minutes, but this depends on you - how thick the slices are, how hot your oven really is, how brown you like your food, etc. Keep an eye on them, take them out when you like them. You can make this with cauliflower, too, and that's pretty danged good.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Raw sauerkraut...great for probiotics :)
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cole Slaw

Apple vinegar
    Veganese (an eggless mayo substitute)
    Black pepper, salt
    Shredded carrots
    Shredded cabbage

Mix, chill, enjoy. Best on day 2
  • LKuderna
    LKuderna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    All of the above sound delicious, and I have had most of the recipes myself, and they are delicious, but one of my faves is a simple Japanese-type coleslaw; You really don't need to measure anything but start with a base of finely shredded cabbage, shredded carrots and you can include any other finely sliced or shredded veggie, like radishes, sweet peppers, mild onions or green onions, daikon radish, turnips, celery, etc. And the dressing you can just mix up some rice wine vinegar (or cider vinegar) with some light oil (I used canola or you could use a light olive), a pinch of salt and sugar (to taste), a bit of white pepper, and celery seeds if you like them. Just shake in a jar or whisk it up and mix into your salad. It keeps well, and is great the next day. Hope you like it!
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Bump, bump, hippity hop!
  • JAHodgkinson_uk
    JAHodgkinson_uk Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Gorgeous! If you have the calories it's delicious with a tablespoon of low fat soft cheese stirred in just before serving.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So many delicious ideas! It's odd that coleslaw never occurred to me - my brain must be elsewhere. Will definitely try frying with bacon, and will also definitely try the Chinese-y frying with pork (variations on a theme!). Ohhh, yum! I'm looking forward to this. Might buy some more while it's on offer ...
  • markarina
    markarina Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    make Japanese style pizza with it - Okonomiyaki - http://norecipes.com/blog/okonomiyaki-recipe/
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Sautee with onions and some potatoes. S + P to taste.
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    I've made a cabbage and cheese quesadilla before, it was pretty awesome actually. Saute the cabbage with salt and pepper, then put into a tortilla with cheese and heat it up in the pan. Eat it with a little sour cream and salsa, delicious!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    Mince fine as for coleslaw, and stir fry with garlic and a splash of soy sauce and a tiny pinch of sugar. Optional splash of vinegar and sesame oil.