Wii Board v. Scale?

Options
Does anyone use their Wii board as a scale so long as it is on a flat surface? I used to only use that. However, another lady at my office has a scale in her office and I started using that. Haven't been on the Wii in several months. I used it today and it says I weigh 168 (on the naked setting). The scale at work says about 172. I wear suits to work and at home on the Wii board I only had on a light t-shirt. Could my clothes really make that much of a difference? Do you think one scale is off?

Note: I don't wear shoes on either one.

Replies

• jess1430
    jess1430 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in on my wii board occassionally to compare it to my scale (which is not digital). The wii usually weighed me 5 lbs or so lighter than the actual scale. However, I found that the scale at my doctors office was closer to the wii result than the scale I had at home.

I do think a suit vs. a tshirt could account for at least a couple lbs difference. =)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I do think a suit vs. t shirt could make a difference, but also each scale is generally different, just like watches....almost no clock syncs up with another one perfectly. I would stick with whichever one you're more likely to use the most and go with it, since consistency if the key.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    clothing makes a difference. my husband took off all his clothing, and he was 5lbs less. but he wears jeans and boots.
    I was using the wii, till one day, I got on it, and then did it 2 times directly after that, and kept getting different weights. I think with the wii, if your balance isn't perfect, which it never is according to that, it changes the weight. We just bought a digital scale last week, and it seems to be acurate.
    also first think in the morning, I weight as much as 4-5lbs less, than if I weight myselft in evening. so you should weigh yourself at the same time. just by having a bottle of water, can increase you weight. let alone if you ate something.
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I used to use the wii board, but I don't think it's very accurate. I bought a digital scale, and it's been INCREDIBLY accurate. I get the same results every time, unlike the wii board.
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Consistency if the key.

I have a regular digital scale that I use to track my weight---when I get on the wii, it makes me super happy cause it always says I am at least a couple of pounds lighter!! I don't count that though---just keeps me going.

So, pick a scale, and stick with it.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale that I use for tracking my weight. When I get on the wii it is pretty close to my scale. And weighing yourself in different clothes, time of day and other factors can make a difference. Although, I weigh myself in the morning, after I pee, completely naked! I even take my hair tie out!!!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i want a wii fit
  • gloriata
    Options
    I was using a digital scale and then the wii board. I have found hat the wii board is slightly under the digital but not enough to make a big difference. about .2 of a kilo
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use their Wii board as a scale so long as it is on a flat surface? I used to only use that. However, another lady at my office has a scale in her office and I started using that. Haven't been on the Wii in several months. I used it today and it says I weigh 168 (on the naked setting). The scale at work says about 172. I wear suits to work and at home on the Wii board I only had on a light t-shirt. Could my clothes really make that much of a difference? Do you think one scale is off?

Note: I don't wear shoes on either one.

clothes definitely make a difference. when i was in the air force, if we were wearing BDUs & combat boots they'd take off 5lbs if we were in our running gear (shorts, tee & tennis shoes) they'd take off 3.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii daily and love it. I have used since I started really wanting to lose weight and I think consistency is the key. Every scale is going to be different so weigh yourself on the same one. I wear the exact same thing for weigh ins and never shoes. My bathroom scale I can step on and be 3 different weights and all pounds apart, my wii doesn't waiver.

I do thing clothing matters and yes I believe they can be different. Every scale will be calibrated differently.
  • brettatk
    brettatk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Consistency if the key.

So, pick a scale, and stick with it.

This.
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My starting weight was with the Wii and I actually think I'm going to completely switch to it, not becuase it reads lower, but becuase it is always availble to me when I want to use it so I can weight naked, first thing in the morning if I want :) Or at least until I get my own home scale. This discrepency stressed me out at first and then I realized that I was just getting caught up in the details. At lest I can see how much I dropped. I am down 14 lbs from the last time that I weighed in on the Wii 41 days ago. I also was able to put in an pair of pants yesterday I haven't seen in a long time! :happy: Again, thanks for all the replies!
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i want a wii fit

It was a great investment for me. Using the Wii kickstarted my weight loss although now I don't use it as much. Actually, when I do use the Wii Board to exercise, I use a different game (actually 2 games other than Wii Fit). That's why it had been so long since my last Wii Fit weigh in. The other exercise games I use doesn't do weigh ins.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i want a wii fit

It was a great investment for me. Using the Wii kickstarted my weight loss although now I don't use it as much. Actually, when I do use the Wii Board to exercise, I use a different game (actually 2 games other than Wii Fit). That's why it had been so long since my last Wii Fit weigh in. The other exercise games I use doesn't do weigh ins.

The Wii fit and Walking are the only two exercises I do and I love it!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I always weigh myself naked, because my clothes put approximately 8 lbs on me. I don't like being weighed at the doctor's office for that very reason. I get on the scale in the morning, before I shower. Clothes make a BIG difference.
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i'm glad someone asked this question....i weighed myself on the bathroom scale and it said 184....same on the wii fit.....but when i weighed myself just over a week later the bathroom scale said 176 while the wii said 179...i had very light clothes on the wii and nothing when i was on the bathroom scale, and i was wondering what one to go by...either number is great because it's not in the 180's anymore,lol
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You just need to consistently use the same scale. Scales will vary but I think the main impact on the weight difference you see is likely to be the time of day you weigh and how much fluid is in your body. Ie first thing in the morning you will be lighter than after you have had breakfast, drinks etc.
  • upsy
    upsy Posts: 42
    Options
    i dont have scales, just wii :D so i dont know if its any different, but whats important for me - that im loosing wheight, doesnt matter 2 or 4 lbs, as long as its a "loss".
    I have my board on carpet (but i tried it on coffee table :D and results were the same, so short carpet doesnt make difference), so i try to stick with the same spot + i olny accept results if my balance is between 50 and 51%, anything higher makes very different reading!